Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

OK, I'll add my name to the roll. As you can tell from my avatar, I'm disabled and a little over weight! The latter is due to the former; the former is due to a clumsy surgeon performing a C3-C5 laminectomy ten years ago in June. I'm tetraplegic (or quadriplegic to you guys) with pretty severe paralysis down my right side and pretty much 80% use of my left. My dealer is currently fitting a left hand brake and throttle to a new, unregistered 2013 ST-S. He has custom built the fly-by-wire throttle, but the brake is done by cannibalising the left hand control unit off a manual shift ST. This allows the use of the clutch lever and reservoir to perform duty as a brake. It has the advantage, I'm told, of giving a factory fitted look... we'll see! Should be ready in a week or so, just need it shipped up here and my Can Am Outlander trade in collected. Here you can ride a quad on the road, and it's been my ride for the last three years, including a week in Ireland last summer for the world's fastest road race, Dundrod Bike Week. Keeping up with Buells and Ducatis showed the quad's failings, but great for carrying my travel scooter.

Finally, my avatar picture. It is the international signal flag foxtrot, which to any seafarer, in 9 different languages, means 'I am disabled, communicate with me'. If there is a better way to display your situation without flashing a picture of a wheelchair or crutches etc., I've yet to see it. It should, in my opinion, be the international pennant of disabled people the world over. I fly it on a whip Ariel on my quad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Cool Hi from Downunder

Hi, I'm Peter (aka ptbperegrine) from Sydney, Australia. I had polio as a kid and was paralysed from the neck down.
    These days my arms are fine and I can stagger about 3 metres with 2 walking sticks.

I bought a 2009 RS SE5 and have ISCI handbrake and footboards.

Freedom!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ptbperegrine View Post
    Hi, I'm Peter (aka ptbperegrine) from Sydney, Australia. I had polio as a kid and was paralysed from the neck down.
    These days my arms are fine and I can stagger about 3 metres with 2 walking sticks.

I bought a 2009 RS SE5 and have ISCI handbrake and footboards.

Freedom!
    Thats terrific! You guys are an inspiration! videos and pictures someday, please.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default Name

Hey, Lamont! Why not call this the "Challenge Corner"? I know what a "Challenge" it can be to modify a Spyder for different needs.
    KEEP YOUR KNEES IN THE BREEZE!!

Spyder Garage

I'm an above knee amputee left leg as a result of a drunk driver, ME! Took me 6 more years and 2 extended vacations before I got started on these 20 years sober I celebrated last December. Between sobering up and getting off paper and getting back to school finishing a degree, I still couldn't find a job. BS in Health Information Management, allowed me to sit for my Registered Health Information Administrator, nothing local where I live in Austin, so I went to work for the most accommodating employer, the US Dept of Treasury, the IRS where I've been 8 years now, GS6 step 7 but even with a raise I made 4300 less last year cause of this tea party crap. Had several BMW sidecars, always had to rig shifters on them. Test drove the 2012 RT A&C and said where do I sign! But with this income reduction scraping to make ends meet. Computer literate 20 years sober bilingual, need some help with some kind of part to full time gig if anyone knows of anything message me. 26,000 miles between Copper Mountain Co, then Sedalia Mo, then Maggie Valley I love my RT but desperately need some additional income. Wife's had this depressive bout last 3 years I hoped the travels would get her out of but no go. She's working 3 pt jobs Goodwill is one all just over min wage not bringing in 20k were scraping by. This too shall pass praying to be of service to the next guy.

Living the dream while I still can!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone I'm ROADKILL, I had an accident June 16, 2013 and after multiple complications on Dec 23, 2013 I became a left leg a/k amputee. I have been riding since 1965 and don't plan of quitting yet. Two days after getting out of rehab I went to a Can Am dealer here in Jacksonville and climbed on one....I think I have found my next ride. I'm planning on getting one in the next couple of weeks. So if there is anything I need to know please chime in and let me know.

Thanks

Oh I had the nickname before the accident.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Let me tell you a story

I really thought long and hard about posting this in here. After all, I'm not missing any limbs or anything like that, there are times when I don't even consider myself disabled, and I'm a relatively private person. So, let me explain. I was a career Army First Sargent working on being a Sargent Major. Right after I came back from Desert Storm in 1992, I had a stroke. I was 47 at the time. The VA permanently disabled me and said it was from working in the burning oil fields and all the crap we breathed in over there. Then two years later, (the Army is slow ), they finally transferred me to inactive reserve and my career was over.

Any way, after two years of physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy I finally got back to the point where i could get back on a BMW and thought all of that was behind me. Then last year at the age of 67, I was diagnosed with bone cancer. When I started chemo, it somehow reactivated the damage from the stroke and I now have severe leg weakness in my left leg and a slight loss of balance along with some minor pain which I understand will get worse. It's not bad enough that I can only walk for short distances, but it would preclude me from holding up a bike at a light or picking one up if I dropped it.

So, after sitting around over the winter moping for six months, here I am on a Spyder, trying to decide what to do with the two BMW's in the barn. Understand that I'm not riding a Spyder by choice, but I'm on it by necessity, and because of the concern and help from a group of friends who knew what stopping riding would do to me and who didn't want to loose my company on the trips (and the good bottle of scotch I always bring on tour ). Touring with them has been a great part of my life for the better part of 50 years and it sustained me thru the death of my wife and all the other trials in my life. My friends and I do 3 or 4 major trips a year, and now I can continue that tradition with them thanks to the Spyder and their support..

Will it be the same? I doubt it. but I guess, when all is said and done, the trick is to do the best you can with the cards you are given and trust that your friends will support you and help you thru the rough patches. Who knows, once I master it, I may get to really like it . Right now it's an interesting experiment to see how fast you can put one of these things thru a corner . I hope it works out because if it doesn't there's no place else for me to go.
    Last edited by sddinnh; 05-06-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    I really thought long and hard about posting this in here. After all, I'm not missing any limbs or anything like that, there are times when I don't even consider myself disabled...................
    Steve how you consider yourself in life is entirely your concern as a person. What the world owes you in return for your sacrifice and the pain you have been through and continue to go through without anyone having a clue because its your own personal ordeal doesnt preclude you from having your rights and your dignity.

My own descent into disability has been different but the same wobbly road and I share what I know will have been your ongoing frustration at set-backs and personal issues in your life. You dont sound like you caught much of a break and I just hope that if a Spyder can keep you out on the road with the boys, doing the things that have helped you through these experiences so far and continuing to bring you the joy and kinship that Army and motorcycling often share in common.

A Spyder is a different ride but its still a ride and those of us that have been through the type of physical issues and limitations you are still going through know that when you have a chance to live anything close to what you were doing you grab it with both hands and hang on tight!

Heres to another shot at the title!

Gavin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SXSMachine View Post
    Heres to another shot at the title!

Gavin
    Yup Gav - one more time around - Cheers mate

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting here isn't the challenge, enjoying our life and having great rides to brag on

Sarge, and every one else... I ride Big Bird for two reasons. One, my wife likes it because it doesn't fall over. Second, it doesn't fall over...lol
    I've rode some sort of bike most of my life... Hondas, Kawis, Yamahas, and Harley too... my last bike before 'Big Bird was a '92 ST1100 sport touring bike, and I loved it... didn't love the price that honda wanted for the tupperware, but the ride and guys and gals were great... as is the Spyder folks... more and more of them. Even here in the desolate Mohave Valley in Arizona.... I used to live in Westminster, South Carolina and that is where I lived when we drove up to Wisconsin to get the Spyder... My wife had named it Big Bird from just the photos that Tony had posted. So ride on my friends... it's the wind in your face, not how it gets there...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Handi-Capable

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've been thinking about a board just for you guys where it would be easy to share information with each other on how to overcome some of the things you have to deal with on a daily basis. If you guys would like that how about a name for the board besides Handicap SpyderLovers?

Great idea, Lamont! How about "Retreads" for us hand-capable SpyderLovers?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I Know I'm late but I'm here....

I have finally sat down and browsed through the forums and found this one.... & all I can say is THANK YOU!!!! I am so glad that there are people out there that share my passion who could also understand my situation. I have Charcot-marie tooth syndrome. Nerve disorder that makes my muscles disintergrate in all of my extremities at an alarming rate no feeling in my Legs,feet arms or hands. Legs worse than hands though. I have to wear braces on both leg to keep my feet held up because I cant lift them on my own, and the braces are the only reason I can actually walk. (sort-of. I walk like a zombie, but zombies have better balance.) I have had nothing but problems as a Medic and am now pretty much confined to dispatch at 911. When the guys at Big #1 motorsports put me on a Spyder, I fell in love! I just rolled over to 1000 miles on my 2013 ST SE5 and LOVE IT!

but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Wheelchair Mount

Quote Originally Posted by AZBoomer View Post
    T5 Para here. Injured in a motocross crash almost 10 years ago. Got my Spyder back in December, 2011. In the past few months I have finally got everything all setup to where I really enjoy riding! It has been a ton of fun so far!!!

Hope to see everyone around!
    Polio victim from Australia here. Could you show me/us how your wheelchair is mounted, that would be really helpful!
    Happy Ryding!

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I found this site here is the link hope it helps http://www.3wheels.org/outfit-review.../gregs-spyder/

One of guys pictured his name is Barney and he lives close to me. He is an amazing fellow. He rides snowmobiles in winter and spyders in the summer. He also has an old muscle car he drives.
    All his toys are modified for his needs.

Spyder Garage

Default Wheelchair Mount for Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I found this site here is the link hope it helps http://www.3wheels.org/outfit-review.../gregs-spyder/

One of guys pictured his name is Barney and he lives close to me. He is an amazing fellow. He rides snowmobiles in winter and spyders in the summer. He also has an old muscle car he drives.
    All his toys are modified for his needs.
    Many thanks!

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ROADKILL1 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm ROADKILL, I had an accident June 16, 2013 and after multiple complications on Dec 23, 2013 I became a left leg a/k amputee. I have been riding since 1965 and don't plan of quitting yet. Two days after getting out of rehab I went to a Can Am dealer here in Jacksonville and climbed on one....I think I have found my next ride. I'm planning on getting one in the next couple of weeks. So if there is anything I need to know please chime in and let me know.

Thanks

Oh I had the nickname before the accident.
    Must say, I was drawn in by your avatar and after reading your post, I felt I had to comment. I too, am a LAKA the result of a bike accident decades ago. Because of the numerous complications I lived with, I was unable to ride for quite some time. A good friend was selling Spyders in his retirement job and voila... came into my life. My RT Ltd SE5 was and is the best thing going.

My one issue is when the riding gets 'over' sporty, if you know what I am saying, I sometimes feel lie the left twisties get a bit impaired by the prosthesis. It became mind over matter once the confidence was secured in the ability of the . What amazes many, is when i have the prosthesis off and am ryding with the external 'legs' strapped on the luggage rack I added. people wonder, but the confidence of the three wheel formation overcomes all... Must say, the is and my life goes on. Go for it, get the ryde and enjoy!!!! Good luck and safe ryding.

Spyder Garage

Default I Know I'm Late But I'm Here

Quote Originally Posted by 911MEDIC View Post
    I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought you would be inundated with answers. As a result of polio I have a left leg with about 5% strength and a right leg with no strength at all, in a full length caliper. My method is to stand on my left footboard, swivel around then sit back onto the saddle. I then slide back onto the pillion position, reach down, grab the front of my jeans below the knee and lift my leg high enough that it clears the handle bar & screen and put it down on the right hand side. Then I slide forward onto the "Captain's Spot" and I'm ready to go!
    Hope that helps.

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

Cool Just got 14 RT And love it, but...

Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
    WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
    WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest Options

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html
    Or this:

From SpyderRyders.net.au

sorry, the pics didn't come through, just look at the site. The price is A$, it will be much cheaper from the US.

New backrest option for RS & ST

As many of you know fitting the BRP pillion backrest means buying the sports rack as well with a total price over $1,000. Even then , when riding solo , it is of little use?

Now there is a new cheaper option that converts with a flip from pillion backrest to rider backrest if you are going solo!

It mounts simply with 4 bolts under the RS (or ST) seat. Other rider backrests make you cut through the seat to mount them.

Kit is complete even including a quality ratchet ring spanner to make fitting simple

I have very limited stock at this time. $640 inc GST

martin@spyderryders.net.au

First Duel Mode Backrest review from the US

" The backrest arrived with all needed parts (very few) and detailed instructions. The instructions were easy to follow. Installation took approximately 40 minutes and that was going very slow and cautious. I am sure it could be done much quicker if you have more experience removing panels and working on the Spyder.

I think the backrest looks great. The supports for the backrest integrate with the Spyder and do not look like an aftermarket fit. This is a one size fits all seat due to the range of adjustment. The supports for the backrest can be put in any position from extremely far back behind the passenger seat to right up against the drivers seat or anywhere in between. A ratchet is included that easily adjusts the backrest supports with just one or two turns. The pad for the backrest can also be adjusted up or down and can also be tipped a little front to back. After a little practice, it is very quick to adjust.I had planned to only use the backrest occasionally when I had a passenger.

I did not expect for it to work as well for me a driver. I am 5'9 and only have the one inch riser on the handlebars so I sit leaned forward. I did not know if the backrest would reach my back. I was very wrong. With the backrest in position for the drivers seat and tipped forward, it hits right against my low back and keeps me in a better position on the Spyder. I do not slide around as much and it is very comfortable. This backrest will stay on my Spyder permanently now since it works so well for me."

Feedback from Australia

Re fitting the back rest on my RSS SE5 (below) . On further inspection I found the tool to take the panniers off also had to remove rear indicator lights, well after a couple of hours I fitted the backrest and put everything back together very happy with the results, enclosed photos with the back rest in both positions thanks for your prompt response and delivery of the backrest.
    Des
    Last edited by ptbperegrine; 07-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 911MEDIC View Post
    but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
    I'm tetraplegic so I'm pretty immobile, but I reverse on to the pillion pad and heave my better (left) leg over the 'tank'. Sadly I do tend to kick lumps out of the poor old girl on the way over and down the left side. I do have some clear plastic protective film, but I've not managed to find time to fit it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    I agree this would be a great site for those of us with mobility issues. I have just received one of the first disability plates for my spyder (motorcycle plate) in Canada , I am the tenth. Love my spyder and look forward to the different mods that come up for us on this site. The hand brake is of real interest to me but costly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clary View Post
    I agree this would be a great site for those of us with mobility issues. I have just received one of the first disability plates for my spyder (motorcycle plate) in Canada , I am the tenth. Love my spyder and look forward to the different mods that come up for us on this site. The hand brake is of real interest to me but costly.

The folks at ISCI in Montgomery, AL discount their hand brake substantially if you can document your disability. A photo of your handicapped plate should suffice.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Freedom

On June 9, 2001 I suffered a TBI(Traumatic Brain Injury) when the car I was sitting in, parked, was struck by another vehicle. The impact forced my brain to come in contact with my skull. I was left permanently disabled. My wife provided me with that information because, as well as some physical issues, I have a very limited memory. My memory before my accident is spot on, while "new" memories are gone after a few days.
    Since the Spyder was introduced, she said I wanted one. I own a 2008 GS. I love it. The freedom I have brings me back to a time I loved before my accident.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have heard and seen first hand how the Spyder has allowed people to experience ryding "Can Am style"...Makes the complaints on here seem minor.. I commend . you for taking life by the horns!!!.....Be safe!!!