Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CAN'T CURE STUPID

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrider12 View Post
    Another enabled rider here! Just last week, I had someone leave a note on my spyder about what I didn't understand about parking in a handicap spot. If I could have found them, I would have asked what part of a handicapped plate didn't they understand?
    ......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......I'll bet they NEVER looked because they couldn't believe someone as BRAVE as you are could possibly be driving something they wouldn't have the " B*LLS " TO EVEN TRY ......................JMHO........Mike
    Mike, if you only could see some of the faces when I get questioned about my parking in a H/C spot, even when they see the plate... And I pull my pant leg up and they are in total shock. Although I'm somewhat glad they question the parking in a designated space, I really wish they mind their own f@&$)$g business.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    There are many of us "enabled" ryders out here who don't have a visible disability. Mine is from the navy and involves damaged internal organs for which I take mucho pills to keep 'em functioning. Pain, discomfort, fatigue, arrhythmia? Yes. Missing a limb or similar? No. Just a reminder that not all disabilities/handicaps are visible ones. So, mobility impairment can be outer body damage, AND/OR inner body damage. I can walk fine, but it's painful in my gut and abdomen, and fatiguing. My Spyders have been a Godsend. My disability left me too weak to pick a bike up, but the Spyder makes that a non-issue. In fact, the Spyder pretty much overcomes every draw back of a 2 wheel bike or even the traditional trike. The saying that "it's not if but when you'll go down" is no longer in play. Love my Spyder.
    Orright, I guess I should put my hand up for the roll call!! I'm another one of these 'not obviously enabled' Ryders like Navy Warrant above, also due to Service that began in the Navy - Royal Australian Navy that is! I share similar pain & medication issues, altho since suffering a 'blast induced Traumatic Brain Injury', I now also have other issues including some difficulty walking much further than about 50 yards on my good days & 2 yards on the bad days - but let me get in the saddle or driver's seat & I'm rarin' to go!!

I'm lucky enough that I don't need any mods to make the Spyder the Godsend that it is, & my Wife & Family agree that me spending time on the Spyder makes me a whole lot easier to live with!! An hour of 'spirited ryding' often means that I can skip one of the (many) doses of pain meds that I live on each day, so I call it my Hi-Speed Mobility Scooter. I also really appreciate & often use the Disability Parking tags that I've been issued as a result of my 'service caused infirmities' & I must admit that more than once I've been 'accosted' by an idiot who can't see the big blue sticker!! Still, I more often end up having polite conversations with people who initially express interest at my parking in Handicapped spaces & then they generally end up being really impressed with the Spyder & the unique features that allow me to keep ryding & active the way I can & do!

Love my Spyder, really miss it when I can't Ryde for whatever reason, & ryde the heck out of it whenever I can!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dinoninn View Post
    I've had a stroke and couldn't get my foot down to balance at a stop. I also have a left hand that could not possibly operate a clutch. The Spyder is my dream come true. Took me 4 years to make the decision but it is one of the best in my life.

Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Glad you found and joined Sl. Welcome! From what I've read, you live in an area with a lot of active members.
    I'll find some of mine here. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default We are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Make it great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hubby took our niece and granddaughter on a short 10 mph ride. Granddaughter is almost 6, has cochlear implants and at least with that slow ride had no problems. She kept
    saying me and Katie taking a ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default All the joys

I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER RIDING

Quote Originally Posted by Jpquinn View Post
    I was sitting watching TV one night, life seemed good MY health seemed good, I had been a truck driver for many years and had been to every state in the US and most of Canada. Just missed the 2 million miles mark. That night suddenly I was unable to breath. I went into a coma for 4 weeks when I came out of it they told me I had a disease called Alpha-1 deficiency, COPD and emphysema. My biggest fear was could I ride again I couldn't keep enough oxygen tanks on a 2 wheeler. That's when I saw the spyder and with the frunk I could carry all I needed. But as a lot of us know I get the looks and comments because I park in handicap. Hey learn to look at the plate. Lamont thank you for your service to all of us.. You're a great man. God bless
    in case I didn't say it earlier ........Ride safe ride happy ,.......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have diabetic neuropathy to my knees. So grateful for the semi automatic transmission. I couldn't feel a clutch.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default roll call

[QUOTE=Jumper35;103795]Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE Being new to the whole spyder riding experience i have to say after 12 years of riding my vw trike its definently a whole new way of riding with that said ive been in a wheelchair since the age of 2 and all my life ive always loved challenges as there always is with being in a wheelchair but we find a way everyday i installed the handbrake on my 2010 rss last night and it is amazing highly recommend it building a cradle for the chair drop in the wheels lean it back and attache under the rear foot peg sounds easy lol.the only problem im having is i sit with my legs folded one over the for ease in transfering so when turning the spyder feels like your going to be slingshotted off the bike anyone else have any issues wth balance ....

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow disabled riders
    I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post
    I to am a disabled vet and have been wanting to ride again ever since I was 24 years old. My disability shut me down until I found a ice bear scooter trike. I wanted to see if I could ride again. To my surprise I was indeed ready to try again. Since that ride I have wanted a faster, safer, able to ride on a road trip. So I bought a can am spyder rs se5 black 2012. I know I should have gotten a F3 or a RT but I think this route was the best option for me now. But I am already looking into the newer spyders like the F3 and RT. I am waiting for my seal floor boards and the hand brake kit from ISCI. Jeff there was a big help and depending on how a couple of floorboards I am waiting for fit, Jeff will be getting another order to finish making my spyder safe for me to enjoy again. I am looking for other disabled riders in texas would be great to start with. But I am open to anything, I can trailer my spyder any where if need be, its tricked out Tahoe with Valet retractable drivers seat and hand controls. Works great for me. Well I guess this is my introduction to the board. I go by Rick and on the web as Scadarick. Thanks for having me.

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post

Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Although it is not very noticeable I have MS. This causes my balance to be off and left sided weakness. So my Spyder is great for me as it is not affected by my issues especially when riding 2 up.
    I have had it since I was in the marine corps in the early 70's, had a great career 2 daughters, 6 grand kids...now retired from government contractor.
    This bike is the best thing to ever for a disabled vet /person...I wish I could have started earlier.

Looking forward for many great rides and thank you for your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder Garage

I am very thankful that I loved Spyders before I got injured. My local motorcycle group teases me about the Spyder not being a motorcycle, but hey, it enables me to ride when otherwise I no longer could! I injured my left hip 2.5 years ago due to malfunctioning equipment at work. Despite a surgery and a bunch of therapy, it still doesn't work like it should and the docs said it might never get better. I am very thankful I can ride the Spyder, and I have no problem with others teasing me. In reality, I know they all want to try it too!

Spyder Garage

I woke up in a hospital with a shattered vertebra, and knew my riding days were over. All I could think about was riding, I could see the road over the bars on a beautiful day as I lay there. My sister recommended reading about enabled spyder Ryder's. She owned her spyder a couple of years already.
    I had $$ down on a GS for a month before I was able to go home. My helmet sat on my bed in the nursing home for a few weeks. 😀

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I rode for 35 years, the Spyder and its community has been a Godsend for me after 7 back surgeries and having both hips replaced twice. Even though I'm mostly on 2 feet, I've lost most of the feeling in my left leg from the knee down and have mild nerve damage in right foot and ankle. My RTS has kept me riding and sane.
    Thank you BRP,
    Woody

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great post and informative. I am disabled as well. Had back injury some years ago. Have three discs in lower back damaged. One collapsed putting pressure on sciatic nerves. Always promised myself when I retired I would buy a motorcycle. After back injury I thought that would never happen. Then I heard about the Spyder. Checked them out and had to try one. Not having to lean on corners and not having to balance the weight when stopping I can ride the Spyder with minimal irritation to my back.
    First one was an 08' GS SM5.
    Was great once I got in High gear. The nerve damage caused problems making my left leg do what I want it to do.
    I ended trading up for a 2011 RS-S SE5. I love it. I can ride all afternoon. The paddle shifter works great. So I'm looking forward to all this snow melting and the salt being washed off the roads by a spring rain so I can get back out on my
    Spyder again. Sorry this got kind of long. Anyway what ever we have to do to to have a safe and fun ride is worth it.
    Hope to see some of you on the road one day. I'm in SW Wisconsin so you get around the area stop and say howdy.
    Ride safe and God Bless.
    John aka Teddy Bear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greetings from Sunny Queensland,
    I've joined the ranks of disabled Spyder riders and loving it.

2 days after getting out of Critical Care I was on the bike.
    Haven't ridden2 wheels for over 15 months and decided it had better be 3 wheels.
    Only did a few rides until I went back into hospital and after 3 months back on the bike........ it's the best medicine !

Cop a few strange looks when hoping off the bike in full leathers then unfolding a walking stick.........lol very funny.
    When the inquisitive ask the question most think I've been in a prior bike accident.

Nope just the on going saga with Crohns, all my electrolytes buggering up, low calcium, magnesium, sodium, and the main killer, low potassium.
    14 admissions in 14 months, lost 1/2 of my body weight I'm weak and frail
    I suffer from low blood pressure and sometimes fainting but luckily I know my limitations.
    I'm improving every day now and may be on the next most suitable bike, the TL1000R within a week or two. It's light and easily manoeuvrable AND fun

I don't think I'll get rid of the RT (2010) its a great bike, just one more bike rego to pay.
    Trying hard now to build up strength and stamina so I may attend our FJR get together / tour that's held every 2 years. I only have a few months left.

Cheers
    Ken

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also a Enabled ryder. I lost my left leg above the knee 16 years ago. Purchased my first Spyder last month- an 2012 RT Limited!

Spyder Garage

A brain tumor and loss of right inner ear cost me my balance and my two wheel riding days were behind me. Speed forward and a 2012 RT Spyder has got me back on the road.
    Just had a new knee installed, which with my balance issues makes walking difficult, but my Spyder gets me around just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk