Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Sounds good - must look into it. On the same track, has anyone fitted a line lock to their hydraulics as a backup parking brake? See http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Line-Loc...item255a96fc79 for the sort of thing I mean.

Spyder Garage

Was diagnosed with Lumbar Polio at the very young age of 9 mos. From then to the age of 5 I used crutches and wore braces. After surgery at the age of 5, I was told that I could lead a normal life, be a normal kid, do the normal things like, run, jump, swim, i.e., be active. Upon entering my late 50's, I notice that I was falling more and stumbling . . now am diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, which is basically a new term that many drs. are notfamiliar with. In short, I've worn myself out and will progressively get weaker.

Tried to ride a 2-wheeler, but was unable to use my left foot to shift with and was afraid that when I came to a stop that my legs wouldn't hold up.

Needless to say, my dh saw the Spyder at a trade show, we went to investigate at a dealer close by and I was bitten by the Spyder and now have Spyder virus!!! My Spyder has allowed me to get out and ride with no fears and I am proud to say that, Yes, I'm limited as to what I can on the ground, but on my Spyder, I'm as able as anyone else".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello all Lovers. I have just taken delivery of my brand new SE5 . Thought that I would bring this thread alive and let you all know that we have a new Spyder Lover with a disability riding around California. Is their anyone local that would like to ride or local Spyder Riding Club's? That includes all Spyder riders to.

Thanks

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Welcome to your Spyder love affair...it gets you and doesn't let go!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but whatthehell, I'm just excited. I'm a left above knee amputee (LAKA), just healing enough to ride now. I'm 46yo and have been a lifelong daily rider. I currently own a couple rigid Harleys and a couple Nortons, and enough scraps to build another something. I build (or teardown/rebuild) everything I've ever ridden. I know I can, and eventually will, adapt my bikes to fit me. I have things from electric shifters to Ghost Wheels. But you know what? BRP put something out that I can ride today with NO adaptation necessary. I don't even need a working prosthesis to get the wind in my face. I'm purchasing a red 2011 RT-S SE5 from Cowtown @ middle of August 2011. This is safest option for the money. I've never purchased a new ride, ever, but this Spyder got the better of me. I read enough good things in general about the Spyders, so I'm confident I made the right decision. My wife is all the way supportive of it, also. Although I'm fortunate enough to have no need to modify the Spyder, I'm grateful for this forum. I'm so new at the one leg thing that I get all excited when I find another amp like me anywhere. I've noticed a few in here. Maybe someday I'll have something to contribute, but in the meantime I'll be here soaking up the info on these pages. Thank you for being here.
    Last edited by Luziman; 08-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Photos of rack

Quote Originally Posted by racketdave View Post
    have designed and patent wheelchair rack ,check out my pics david ,i"ll get you out there.
    Hi racket ave, was wondering if you could post some photos of your wheelchair rack as I can't seem to find them! Cheers mate

Spyder Garage

100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
    AC
    I am in the same boat as you are Chief. Adds up to 140% and classified unemployable. We got the Spyder for the exact same reasons. The Spyder extends our time that we can ryde together a number of years since my wife is way younger than me. Plus, I have a place to put my folding cane on the days I need it.

Spyder Garage

Default Mount for folding WC

Quote Originally Posted by Oz Spyder View Post
    Hi racket ave, was wondering if you could post some photos of your wheelchair rack as I can't seem to find them! Cheers mate
    I'm not sure if your the one who contacted me in regards to a wheelchair mount for the Spyder? Unfortunately I broke my leg and it has delayed the final phase of creating a more universal mount for a folding wheelchair onto an RS or RS S. I should be back on my Spyder soon working with the machine shop to install the final bracket. Do what you need to do but if you can hold on for another month, you may be able to have complete independence with your Spyder with a mount that required extremely little lifting and quick on/off for the WC. More about me is posted in this forum. I may be new to the game, but I've got a great product for not a lot of money. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Default AKA Spyder lover

Hi everyone, I am a left AKA for about 9 yrs now. Still having to use canes to get around but hey I get around! When my husband showed me the spyder for the first time I smiled which seems to be a familiar reaction to them. Well I am bitten by the spyder bug and am learning to drive it now. Can't wait to get my license. Our GA riders met last month and what a great bunch of folks!!Looking forward to more rides and meets. Thank you everyone for your ideas and inspirations!
    Diana

Spyder Garage

I really enjoy this site I hear perfectly healthy people complain about something not being right or comfortable and then I check in on you guys and I'm so touched by the way y'all overcome thing to be able to do what you love. Hooray!!! you guys are heroes in my book. I don't hear complaints here I just see results !!!!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2 View Post
    Hi everyone, I am a left AKA for about 9 yrs now. Still having to use canes to get around but hey I get around! When my husband showed me the spyder for the first time I smiled which seems to be a familiar reaction to them. Well I am bitten by the spyder bug and am learning to drive it now. Can't wait to get my license. Our GA riders met last month and what a great bunch of folks!!Looking forward to more rides and meets. Thank you everyone for your ideas and inspirations!
    Diana
    Welcome to our world!!! Drive safe and smile!

RoHo

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My SIL is a quad C5 after a diving accident at his wedding reception on June 16. What you enabled riders have done is nothing short of huge, if not a miracle. But you guys are an extreme minority. How many would even attempt to do what you do from the "elgible candidates" of former bikers, let alone Spyder ryders, I do not know. Now here's my question: how many enabled passengers are there on this forum? I don't expect Daniel to operate my RT. He has no grip though his arms do move. And he needs to regain his strength. He lost nearly 30 pounds since the accident, he's 127 and 6'1". I always kid him however that I'm going to strap him onto the back of the RT and call him "Bernie" which he chuckles at. Remember the movie Weekend at Bernies? I've always believed in the power, even the healing power, of humor. For anyone to regain another sense of independence following a traumatic accident is huge. Ventilator...gone. Trach...gone. Neck brace...gone. Feeds himself...doing it. Puts his shirt on...doing it. Driving an enabled van...coming up. I hope that some day he will get to the point of not needing a cath or bowel program, God willing. This would be the ultimate in independence. Forgive the length of this post. I have a habit of doing that. But EVERYBODY needs an inspiration. And you guys are it.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    My SIL is a quad C5 after a diving accident at his wedding reception on June 16. What you enabled riders have done is nothing short of huge, if not a miracle. But you guys are an extreme minority. How many would even attempt to do what you do from the "elgible candidates" of former bikers, let alone Spyder ryders, I do not know. Now here's my question: how many enabled passengers are there on this forum? I don't expect Daniel to operate my RT. He has no grip though his arms do move. And he needs to regain his strength. He lost nearly 30 pounds since the accident, he's 127 and 6'1". I always kid him however that I'm going to strap him onto the back of the RT and call him "Bernie" which he chuckles at. Remember the movie Weekend at Bernies? I've always believed in the power, even the healing power, of humor. For anyone to regain another sense of independence following a traumatic accident is huge. Ventilator...gone. Trach...gone. Neck brace...gone. Feeds himself...doing it. Puts his shirt on...doing it. Driving an enabled van...coming up. I hope that some day he will get to the point of not needing a cath or bowel program, God willing. This would be the ultimate in independence. Forgive the length of this post. I have a habit of doing that. But EVERYBODY needs an inspiration. And you guys are it.
    Life doesn't stop with paralysis - that's the mountain. Everything from there is a down hill ride. Accolades to you and to SIL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A new RS Spyder lover with a T8 complete paraplegia

I live in Australia the country down under. My dream has come true after three years of planning the purchase of the Spyder. I used cardboard to make a templete for the footboards and then had them made using flat aluminum plate with a 30mm edge on outer side to stop my foot falling off. I had the foot brake moved to the handlebars using Brembo gear levers and other attachments. To get the Collapsible wheelchair onto the side of the Spyder I used the Givi Pannier frame with some bolt on attachments. This has worked well for me and I use a rubber strap to keep it together and safe. Everybody is different, but this has worked well for me. There is other things that I will do in time, but at the moment it has worked for me. Safe riding. If anybody would like pictures let me know

Spyder Garage

Roll call, joe here. Polio guy. Spyder works well for me as I get older.
    Cool web site

Spyder Garage

I do have wheelchair, but able to walk some distance. Lucky no need to take chair , at least not yes.

Spyder Garage

Default Making my way to new abilities.

My name is Gavin from Melbourne Australia. I have been looking at the Spyder and its technology for years and it seems now not only can I appreciate it at a distance a number of syndromes CNS & Skeletal, are enabling me to actually get on one while I MAY have the chance for the amount of time I can.

Have read a lot of inspiring stories here and a lot of great examples of modified Spyders both how , what parts and from who so its been much apprecited to get all that information.

I have plenty of idea's of how I will make my idea roll its just a matter of some of them being legality issues and have written to my state authority about that one issue being straight forward the other more interperative. Both I'll seek my approvals on before I get a Spyder and get to work on it.

I want to congratualate everyone on their bravery and ambition to be what they want to be and not what society wants to label them as.

Spyder Garage

I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!
    Welcome. Sorry I didn't get to talk with you at our meeting in Jan.

I bought mine from the meeting place folks and things have gone pretty well for the first 9,000 miles since Aug 2011. Send me a PA if you will. Love to meet you and ride, talk ot what ever. I'm in Kennesaw often with an ongoing air bag mess, but we're getting there. I'm pretty lucky to have just 8 vertebrae welded together, accompanied by a lot of arthritis most everywhere. Did buy the ISCI brake lever kit. What a nice bunch of pros those dudes are. My right hip goes ape semi regularly and I decided the Spyder is the answer and it is.
    Look forward to visiting with you one day soon.
    TuckMiddle
    Waleska

Spyder Garage

Default Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2 View Post
    Diana
    And we were so glad to see you folks. I live up in Waleska and anytime y'all are looking for another bike to ride along, let me know. OK?

My back has been a mess for years, but it's welded in 1/2 now and I get around pretty well for an old guy who can't hear much. I got the ISCI brake system due to arthritis and you've never met a nicer group of folks than they are down in Montgomery.

Look forward to hearing from you.

TuckMiddle
    Waleska

Spyder Garage

We talked a bit in the hall. Remember I mentioned Reinhardt College?
    When I get a bit better at driving my Spyder, I can head up that way.

I'm planning to trailer the Spyder to Cuba. Will be camping at Lady Bug Campground.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Here yeeeeeeeeee, here yeeeeeeeeeee, i'm a fellow cripster on a can am.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up rack

Quote Originally Posted by landrover97 View Post
    I live in Australia the country down under. My dream has come true after three years of planning the purchase of the Spyder. I used cardboard to make a templete for the footboards and then had them made using flat aluminum plate with a 30mm edge on outer side to stop my foot falling off. I had the foot brake moved to the handlebars using Brembo gear levers and other attachments. To get the Collapsible wheelchair onto the side of the Spyder I used the Givi Pannier frame with some bolt on attachments. This has worked well for me and I use a rubber strap to keep it together and safe. Everybody is different, but this has worked well for me. There is other things that I will do in time, but at the moment it has worked for me. Safe riding. If anybody would like pictures let me know
    hi landrover could you send me those pictures of your wheelchair rack im a little bit away from getting my spyder but i want to be ready

cheers mick michaelruhdorf@bigpond.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ready to Ride

Stroke survivor ready to ride after a year and half of therapy and people telling me about all the things I can't do.
    Work out of power chair use hemi walker very short distance, right side probably not 50%, ready to ride except for safety sake
    need left handbrake. Like the ISCI setup but only made for right side, would appreciate any help or ideas as this is last
    hurdle to getting back on road. Traded Harley for 2012 Limited that needs to get on road, I've been riding 45 years & ready to go.
    Thanks to everyone for the incentive to continue.
    Appreciate all the help, Congrats to All You deserve it
    Spyder2U