Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Another Left A/K Amp, happened in 2005 when a tractor trailer cut across the double yellow and caught me on the knee cap. I am thrilled with my new SE5, I rode a Suzuki quad for awhile, but nothing beats the open road.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsm69 View Post
    Another Left A/K Amp, happened in 2005 when a tractor trailer cut across the double yellow and caught me on the knee cap. I am thrilled with my new SE5, I rode a Suzuki quad for awhile, but nothing beats the open road.
    Welcome to the Cluster.
    I am allergic to Monte Carlos. AKA left leg went with him and his bumper. Lucky to be alive (he wasn't so lucky)
    The SE5 was a perfect fit and the only mod was a 2" extension on the parking brake. Hope to see you around at one of the events. I am in the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default just bought SE5 o9 RED

Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
    im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canchess View Post
    Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
    im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies
    welcome

Spyder Garage

welcome have fun, ryde safe.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canchess View Post
    Kim,
    My first suggestions would be to look at NMN's 4" risers: ISCI's hydraulic hand brake and floorboards. I'm using the Corbin seat with a 2" Roho wheelchair cushion. Working like a charm. Good luck!
    Monte

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default wheelchair rack

have designed and patent wheelchair rack ,check out my pics david ,i"ll get you out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Hey Dave- nice meeting you in TN
    +1
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default moving forward fast.

nice meeting all in gatlinburg, spread the word of my wheelchair rack ,brake,footrests,shifter ,selling kits, always designing to perfect ,want to get challenged riders out there, call me email me ,been riding 19 years ,in wheelchair 24y ,been around development on all handicap products,can make anything titanium ,all metals ,but now keeping cost down to get you out riding thanks david web site soon ,#7276428536 lets talk .? i"m t4 para so yes you can do it .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    I have been off the site for awhile but I am glad to see that there have been some improvements. Glad to see more riders who are not willing to quite just cause of a misfortune. Well keep riding hope to see you on the road soon!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Back in the wind

Do to military service In iraq I have found myself wheelchair bound. No boo hoo's I rode my ass off this summer and am loving every aspect of the spyder. To all those out there back in the wind, welcome.

Thanks for having a section dedicated to us and calling it enabled. i see the abilities left in my not the disabilities.....Be safe all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

You Enabled SpyderLovers rock! It is inspirational to follow all that you're doing to keep riding.

My challenge is Parkinson's. Losing my balance to it led me to abandon my 2 wheel riding. (Started falling over too often, lol.) Fortunately within a year later CanAm rolled out an answer to that problem. Premier Edition #249 has since been "my faithful companion".

There's not much in the way of hardware for my Spyder that helps as my PD progresses (have a throttle lock and wrist rest) and as my meds are becoming less effective. So next up I investigate hardware for my head: DBS (electrodes deeply embedded in the brain with a control unit in my chest.) I have a passion for riding and intend to do what ever it takes to stay on 3 wheels as long as possible.

Keep on riding!

PS: LaMonster - thanks for this forum!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palehorsevt View Post
    Do to military service In iraq I have found myself wheelchair bound. No boo hoo's I rode my ass off this summer and am loving every aspect of the spyder. To all those out there back in the wind, welcome.

Thanks for having a section dedicated to us and calling it enabled. I see the abilities left in my life - not the disabilities.....Be safe all.
    Amen Brother!

Spyder Garage

this site rocks,
    last year on my Hayabusa I had a garbage truck turn in front of me with no signal lights or turn signals. ended up breaking 5 vertibra and became a T3 para. To be honest as a two wheeled rider I hated the looks of the spyder but now its the only way and with all the accesories the possibilities are endless. I may not be dragging a knee but its wind thru my hair

I now have a 09 SE5 sitting in my garage. and I have to thank you enabled guys for forging the way and making all the accesories for these bikes. I just ordered the handbrake kit and floorboard kit from Industrial specialties. Can't wait to get rolling again.

Cool site you have here, you have a new lurker.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up New owner

welcome and on the RS. You are right, there are quite a few enabled riders that will be more than willing to help you with suggestions and solutions to make your work for you.
    Good luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default looking for answers

hi folks

i'm new to this stuff being still classified as a quasi able bodied rider. i need sticks to walk and have been just told yesterday i will need a walker as my illness progresses.
    i use two canes to move about for very short distances like in the house. i switch to long distance "touring" crutches, which are collapsible like my canes. the walker also folds somewhat.

here's my question (finally)...how will i be able to carry my walker on my soon to be purchased 2011 RT?

i ride two up with my wife and do not want a triler. i will need to carry my canes (which when folded fit in the front trunk) and the walker. the unit is a larger pce to handle my svelte 250 lb frame.
    we looked at the RS with the givi bags and such but my wife found the riding position much more comfortable and so did i preferring a touring bar to a straight bar.

we thought we were going to have to give up riding but this machine has saved the day for us. i've been riding for over 50 yrs and am not ready to throw in the towel yet. hell i even rode an old indian scout around in vietnam until it was shot out from under me.

any and all advice is very much appreciated.

thanks...

rob (NEVER give up!!)

Spyder Garage

Default Crippled Riders

Now that my parents ain't 'round to SPANK ME... I say taint nuthin wrong with bein called Crippled. Crippled is a great word, as it goes way back before we had "Politically Correct" words that we are suppose to have to use.
    My disability was pushed to the front with the aid of a Neurosurgeon who insisted that I had to have back surgery (Lamenectomy) Fusion and cages immediately or suffer permanant paralysis below the waist. Now I hope to find the finances to get a Spider. After selling my Dirt bike, Ninja and Cruiser, not to mention my ATV, I NEED the SPYDER to get out adn get back on the road, to maintain the trike like I did my bikes. Polish the bottom end as I did the top end and have something I can do all the time when I have nothing but spare time on my hands (Nearly always.)
    I can hardly wait to get the RT and fill not only the bags but the gas tank as I ride stop for the night and ride.....fropm coast to coast using various US Highways and State highways...avoiding the Interstates like the Plague! There are some great people in this country, and some great scenery from coast to coast that you completley bypass when you are cruising at 75MPH on any SuperSlab.
    Lindsey "Kansas" Angell
    lindsey_angell@yahoo.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you'll be able mount your walker somewhere in the rear if you get the trailer hitch installed.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenracoon View Post
    hi folks

i'm new to this stuff being still classified as a quasi able bodied rider. i need sticks to walk and have been just told yesterday i will need a walker as my illness progresses.
    i use two canes to move about for very short distances like in the house. i switch to long distance "touring" crutches, which are collapsible like my canes. the walker also folds somewhat.

here's my question (finally)...how will i be able to carry my walker on my soon to be purchased 2011 RT?

i ride two up with my wife and do not want a triler. i will need to carry my canes (which when folded fit in the front trunk) and the walker. the unit is a larger pce to handle my svelte 250 lb frame.
    we looked at the RS with the givi bags and such but my wife found the riding position much more comfortable and so did i preferring a touring bar to a straight bar.

we thought we were going to have to give up riding but this machine has saved the day for us. i've been riding for over 50 yrs and am not ready to throw in the towel yet. hell i even rode an old indian scout around in vietnam until it was shot out from under me.

any and all advice is very much appreciated.

thanks...

rob (NEVER give up!!)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my wife and i went to the dealership again today to further check out the RT-S in more detail. after reading the posts on this site and checking many of the pics, i also felt the best place for the walker would be at the rear of the machine. there is a company out there that offers a platform frame for a cooler which attaches to a trailer hitch ala goldwings. i believe in the form of a "slide in hitch receptacle".
    a few years ago a friend used this product to carry his golf clubs. with a little modification this would be the way to go for me.

the salesman also suggested i not use the trunk or front cargo area for the sticks, instead securing them like you would fishing rods along the sides near the rear hand grips with the handle held in place with rubber friction hooks. that way i won't need to shlep my awkward support crutches along. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF ADDING AN AFTERMARKET (oops, sorry) or custom topcase rack. i carried my canes that way on my goldwings and ST1100'S in that manner.

i've noted many additions and mods may of you have made and hope to add some of them to our spyder as well. eg...handbrake, floor boards, hiway pegs (maybe) and a driver backrest to begin.

for those spyder ryders in toronto and gta, there is apparently test ride day at ontario place in a couple of weeks. sue and i plan to attend. perhaps we'll get to meet some of you folks.

cheers all

rob....NEVER give up!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New rider with disability.

I sometimes use an electric wheelchair, often use a manual chair and for short distances use a cane. I tire easily as walking is more mental than physical due to a spinal injury and thought that I had to give up open air riding forever. After much research, trips to look at "accessible" motorcycles and cycles with wheelchair sidecars, I settled on my Spyder. It is only a month old and I have 1,000 miles on it already and can't wait for spring to plan a long ride. If anyone in central Ohio wants to join up, drop me a line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by srarndt View Post
    You Enabled SpyderLovers rock! It is inspirational to follow all that you're doing to keep riding.

My challenge is Parkinson's. Losing my balance to it led me to abandon my 2 wheel riding. I have a passion for riding and intend to do what ever it takes to stay on 3 wheels as long as possible.

Keep on riding!

PS: LaMonster - thanks for this forum!
    Just to say hello, and concur with the above. I too have PD (diagnosed 5 years ago - affects balance, mental clarity and right side coordination/dexterity) and at the age of 63 intend to enjoy life as long as possible. Picked up a 2008 GS SE5 (phantom black) with about 5000 miles on the clock about a month ago, and am getting used to having only the one brake control - I've almost learned to relax and enjoy. LeoVince SBK adds to the rebel spirit!

Still a bit nervous of running costs on a pension, and of Spyder reliability, but let's see......

Located in the UK, some 30 miles north of London, I'm sadly a bit far from the crowd of you, but glad to have found a forum with the right atmosphere, and will try to be a useful member.

Ttyl.

Ian
    Last edited by Pict; 12-18-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Just to say hello, and concur with the above. I too have PD (diagnosed 5 years ago - affects balance, mental clarity and right side coordination/dexterity) and at the age of 63 intend to enjoy life as long as possible. Picked up a 2008 GS SE5 (phantom black) with about 5000 miles on the clock about a month ago, and am getting used to having only the one brake control - I've almost learned to relax and enjoy. LeoVince SBK adds to the rebel spirit!

Still a bit nervous of running costs on a pension, and of Spyder reliability, but let's see......

Located in the UK, some 30 miles north of London, I'm sadly a bit far from the crowd of you, but glad to have found a forum with the right atmosphere, and will try to be a useful member.

Ttyl.

Ian

welcome It's good to hear you don't give up to PD and keep on riding. I spent the first week of November in London on vacation, had a great time with the family. Best of luck in the new year.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool On the Gimp scale

I haven't a clue if I 'qualify' for Handicapable... I have the blue tags for my two pickups... so here is My deal:
    Both knees replaced
    Degen Arthritis in back, 100% by virtue of unemployability
    per the VA... actual is 80%
    Lots of other stuff, but not physically limiting,
    mostly dealing with pain issues...
    Glenn of the Big Bird clan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City
    Let me attest to how well the parking brake lever works. I LOVE it. With my Left AKA it was difficult to depress the parking brake. When I had to get off of the Spyder on a hill, I'd have to roll for a second or two (at the best of times) before stomping on the brake. The lever works like a charm!
    Last edited by Star Cruiser; 12-24-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I should check spelling BEFORE posting