Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I Know I'm late but I'm here....

I have finally sat down and browsed through the forums and found this one.... & all I can say is THANK YOU!!!! I am so glad that there are people out there that share my passion who could also understand my situation. I have Charcot-marie tooth syndrome. Nerve disorder that makes my muscles disintergrate in all of my extremities at an alarming rate no feeling in my Legs,feet arms or hands. Legs worse than hands though. I have to wear braces on both leg to keep my feet held up because I cant lift them on my own, and the braces are the only reason I can actually walk. (sort-of. I walk like a zombie, but zombies have better balance.) I have had nothing but problems as a Medic and am now pretty much confined to dispatch at 911. When the guys at Big #1 motorsports put me on a Spyder, I fell in love! I just rolled over to 1000 miles on my 2013 ST SE5 and LOVE IT!

but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I Know I'm Late But I'm Here

Quote Originally Posted by 911MEDIC View Post
    I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought you would be inundated with answers. As a result of polio I have a left leg with about 5% strength and a right leg with no strength at all, in a full length caliper. My method is to stand on my left footboard, swivel around then sit back onto the saddle. I then slide back onto the pillion position, reach down, grab the front of my jeans below the knee and lift my leg high enough that it clears the handle bar & screen and put it down on the right hand side. Then I slide forward onto the "Captain's Spot" and I'm ready to go!
    Hope that helps.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

Cool Just got 14 RT And love it, but...

Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
    WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 911MEDIC View Post
    but since I'm with you guys I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
    I'm tetraplegic so I'm pretty immobile, but I reverse on to the pillion pad and heave my better (left) leg over the 'tank'. Sadly I do tend to kick lumps out of the poor old girl on the way over and down the left side. I do have some clear plastic protective film, but I've not managed to find time to fit it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default just bought SE5 o9 RED

Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
    im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canchess View Post
    Hi, my name is Kim. I pick it up next week. I'm a t 4/5 para. I dont have an y mods yet. Want to get it hometo my garage. All i can say is i went to look at it and popped right on. So i went for it. I live one cape cod ma. Anyone want to pass valualble info so i can get set up quic as i can and ride, that would be awesome! I've been riding an Atv suzuki king quad (94) since 94! On the road i might add! Thank you all, Kim
    im so stoked its crazy---theres been not much to live for--so boring and nothing much to look forward to. I can ride with a whole bunch of Able bodies
    welcome

Spyder Garage

welcome have fun, ryde safe.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canchess View Post
    Kim,
    My first suggestions would be to look at NMN's 4" risers: ISCI's hydraulic hand brake and floorboards. I'm using the Corbin seat with a 2" Roho wheelchair cushion. Working like a charm. Good luck!
    Monte

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico View Post
    I guess you could say I have walking problems because I'm pretty old and my knees are giving me a fit AND I don't want to be operated again. I've had my fill of needles and all. Consequently I developed a manually operated parking brake that got me out of trouble when applying the parking brake because I could do it without dismounting my Spyder. Maybe you can use one? xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx I also made floor boards for my feet and the RH one rocks and applies the foot brake. That I am not commercializing on becaue it is costly and difficult to install. So that's what I didto keep me going easily. Arthur---Mexico City
    Let me attest to how well the parking brake lever works. I LOVE it. With my Left AKA it was difficult to depress the parking brake. When I had to get off of the Spyder on a hill, I'd have to roll for a second or two (at the best of times) before stomping on the brake. The lever works like a charm!
    Last edited by Star Cruiser; 12-24-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I should check spelling BEFORE posting

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds good - must look into it. On the same track, has anyone fitted a line lock to their hydraulics as a backup parking brake? See http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Line-Loc...item255a96fc79 for the sort of thing I mean.

Spyder Garage

Was diagnosed with Lumbar Polio at the very young age of 9 mos. From then to the age of 5 I used crutches and wore braces. After surgery at the age of 5, I was told that I could lead a normal life, be a normal kid, do the normal things like, run, jump, swim, i.e., be active. Upon entering my late 50's, I notice that I was falling more and stumbling . . now am diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome, which is basically a new term that many drs. are notfamiliar with. In short, I've worn myself out and will progressively get weaker.

Tried to ride a 2-wheeler, but was unable to use my left foot to shift with and was afraid that when I came to a stop that my legs wouldn't hold up.

Needless to say, my dh saw the Spyder at a trade show, we went to investigate at a dealer close by and I was bitten by the Spyder and now have Spyder virus!!! My Spyder has allowed me to get out and ride with no fears and I am proud to say that, Yes, I'm limited as to what I can on the ground, but on my Spyder, I'm as able as anyone else".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello all Lovers. I have just taken delivery of my brand new SE5 . Thought that I would bring this thread alive and let you all know that we have a new Spyder Lover with a disability riding around California. Is their anyone local that would like to ride or local Spyder Riding Club's? That includes all Spyder riders to.

Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Roll call, joe here. Polio guy. Spyder works well for me as I get older.
    Cool web site

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I do have wheelchair, but able to walk some distance. Lucky no need to take chair , at least not yes.

Spyder Garage

Default Making my way to new abilities.

My name is Gavin from Melbourne Australia. I have been looking at the Spyder and its technology for years and it seems now not only can I appreciate it at a distance a number of syndromes CNS & Skeletal, are enabling me to actually get on one while I MAY have the chance for the amount of time I can.

Have read a lot of inspiring stories here and a lot of great examples of modified Spyders both how , what parts and from who so its been much apprecited to get all that information.

I have plenty of idea's of how I will make my idea roll its just a matter of some of them being legality issues and have written to my state authority about that one issue being straight forward the other more interperative. Both I'll seek my approvals on before I get a Spyder and get to work on it.

I want to congratualate everyone on their bravery and ambition to be what they want to be and not what society wants to label them as.

Spyder Garage

I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I have had problems with my legs for a few years. I can't squat down and get up using my legs. I'm loving my RT even thought I have some issues getting my leg over the seat when I get on. Stretching helps. I raised the passenger foot rests all the way up. I stand on it with my left foot so it's easier to get my right leg over the seat...less vertical distance.

Back in 1996, I attend a meeting of some of the Para Olypians in Atlanta. The woman giving the lecture called every able person there T.A.P.s, Temporary Abled Persons. She said some day either by 'accident' or age, you will all be disabled. She was right.

There is no way I want to get on a two wheeled motorcycle anymore. To get on my mountain bike, I lay it on the ground, step over the frame and then pick it up between my legs. Done!

I'm glad there is this section. Thank you for all that have served!
    Welcome. Sorry I didn't get to talk with you at our meeting in Jan.

I bought mine from the meeting place folks and things have gone pretty well for the first 9,000 miles since Aug 2011. Send me a PA if you will. Love to meet you and ride, talk ot what ever. I'm in Kennesaw often with an ongoing air bag mess, but we're getting there. I'm pretty lucky to have just 8 vertebrae welded together, accompanied by a lot of arthritis most everywhere. Did buy the ISCI brake lever kit. What a nice bunch of pros those dudes are. My right hip goes ape semi regularly and I decided the Spyder is the answer and it is.
    Look forward to visiting with you one day soon.
    TuckMiddle
    Waleska

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting here isn't the challenge, enjoying our life and having great rides to brag on

Sarge, and every one else... I ride Big Bird for two reasons. One, my wife likes it because it doesn't fall over. Second, it doesn't fall over...lol
    I've rode some sort of bike most of my life... Hondas, Kawis, Yamahas, and Harley too... my last bike before 'Big Bird was a '92 ST1100 sport touring bike, and I loved it... didn't love the price that honda wanted for the tupperware, but the ride and guys and gals were great... as is the Spyder folks... more and more of them. Even here in the desolate Mohave Valley in Arizona.... I used to live in Westminster, South Carolina and that is where I lived when we drove up to Wisconsin to get the Spyder... My wife had named it Big Bird from just the photos that Tony had posted. So ride on my friends... it's the wind in your face, not how it gets there...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper35 View Post
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.
    Here yeeeeeeeeee, here yeeeeeeeeeee, i'm a fellow cripster on a can am.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HI

Do you know of anywhere in Ontario where a handbrake can be purchased??
    Ok, I hate to use the term handicapped but my intent is to have anybody with a mobility impairment read this thread. This bike has been an absolute dream come true for me, and many of the mods I used to make my bike "accessible" came from this site. My hope is that this thread will be an easy way for people with disabilities to link-up with disabled Spyder riders and know that there are many of us who have found a way to ride again.

Handbrakes, footboards, wheelchair racks and rerouted filler caps....it has all been done and many kind individuals on this site are more than happy to help out a potential Spyder rider. So, if you are a disabled rider and would like to weigh-in on the topic I know it would be greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I posted this ans on another thread - Reading this I thought this may help several others

In the UK We have the National Association for Bikers with a Disability - NABD

You could try a post on the Forum although not many Spyders have been sold in the UK yet
    There are experts in adaptions which may point you in the right direction

See this Link
    http://www.nabd.org.uk/

There are some solutions on the Adaption page

http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

Hope those that need them can find a solution

They may be able to let you know of companies that do the same work in the USA/Canada etc

Good luck and best wishes from a disabled Spyder rider in the UK
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bcal View Post
    Do you know of anywhere in Ontario where a handbrake can be purchased??
    You can order it from ISCI who is a sponsor on this site. http://www.isciride.com/iscirtautoparts.htm

I have the hand brake on my RT and couldn't ride without it.

Spyder Garage

Our dealership moved controls to the left side for a rider who only had one arm, he drove an RT. I would approach a dealer about chaining the side the controls are on. Most are helpful. ISCI is the place for a handbreak even though we've heard there is now a brembro solution being offered - a kit sold by someone. I have the ISCI and it works great, easy install.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

I am handicapped and as long as I can swing my leg over the seat, I'm good to go!!!