Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default I Know I'm Late But I'm Here

Quote Originally Posted by 911MEDIC View Post
    I have a question. I have the most horrible time gettin my leg over the bike. What is the easiest way to mount this thing? right now Im having to get up on the passenger foot boards and drop my leg on the other side.... any suggestions?

Thanks Again!!!!
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought you would be inundated with answers. As a result of polio I have a left leg with about 5% strength and a right leg with no strength at all, in a full length caliper. My method is to stand on my left footboard, swivel around then sit back onto the saddle. I then slide back onto the pillion position, reach down, grab the front of my jeans below the knee and lift my leg high enough that it clears the handle bar & screen and put it down on the right hand side. Then I slide forward onto the "Captain's Spot" and I'm ready to go!
    Hope that helps.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Spyder Garage

Cool Just got 14 RT And love it, but...

Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
    WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Just today Got my RT. Riding a Burman 650 with a Danson kit was fun but this is a blast and much nicer. Did add the front foot boards to make getting on a simple way to mount. I have had many leg and hip surgeries in that last number of years, (13) and now lost my femur hip and knee to steel and the RT has been fun. I am looking for a back rest that can fold down so I can get the legs over the seat, but the factory one is fixed. Anyone know of one that can fold down for mounting ect onto the RT? Thanks

Gary
    WD8AJJ @yahoo.com

Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest Options

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Utopia is what you want.

http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html
    Or this:

From SpyderRyders.net.au

sorry, the pics didn't come through, just look at the site. The price is A$, it will be much cheaper from the US.

New backrest option for RS & ST

As many of you know fitting the BRP pillion backrest means buying the sports rack as well with a total price over $1,000. Even then , when riding solo , it is of little use?

Now there is a new cheaper option that converts with a flip from pillion backrest to rider backrest if you are going solo!

It mounts simply with 4 bolts under the RS (or ST) seat. Other rider backrests make you cut through the seat to mount them.

Kit is complete even including a quality ratchet ring spanner to make fitting simple

I have very limited stock at this time. $640 inc GST

martin@spyderryders.net.au

First Duel Mode Backrest review from the US

" The backrest arrived with all needed parts (very few) and detailed instructions. The instructions were easy to follow. Installation took approximately 40 minutes and that was going very slow and cautious. I am sure it could be done much quicker if you have more experience removing panels and working on the Spyder.

I think the backrest looks great. The supports for the backrest integrate with the Spyder and do not look like an aftermarket fit. This is a one size fits all seat due to the range of adjustment. The supports for the backrest can be put in any position from extremely far back behind the passenger seat to right up against the drivers seat or anywhere in between. A ratchet is included that easily adjusts the backrest supports with just one or two turns. The pad for the backrest can also be adjusted up or down and can also be tipped a little front to back. After a little practice, it is very quick to adjust.I had planned to only use the backrest occasionally when I had a passenger.

I did not expect for it to work as well for me a driver. I am 5'9 and only have the one inch riser on the handlebars so I sit leaned forward. I did not know if the backrest would reach my back. I was very wrong. With the backrest in position for the drivers seat and tipped forward, it hits right against my low back and keeps me in a better position on the Spyder. I do not slide around as much and it is very comfortable. This backrest will stay on my Spyder permanently now since it works so well for me."

Feedback from Australia

Re fitting the back rest on my RSS SE5 (below) . On further inspection I found the tool to take the panniers off also had to remove rear indicator lights, well after a couple of hours I fitted the backrest and put everything back together very happy with the results, enclosed photos with the back rest in both positions thanks for your prompt response and delivery of the backrest.
    Des
    Last edited by ptbperegrine; 07-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"