Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

here is a much more simple way to get the same thing I have almost 6k on this setup and it works fine for a pay at the pump I have to back up at an angle to get the card in because of reach and balance issues but yeah, just cut the plastic behind the seat. the top of the seat shows a little rip but that is the price you pay for a non handicrapp gas cap setup.

forgot to add this cost nothing to do, just cut the seat when it was up with a "something" covering the bike can use side cutter of some sort.
    Last edited by SethO; 05-30-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: read it
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Great, a section for us Handicapped (nothing wrong with that term). I have a wheelchair rack welded onto a tow bar and a hand brake, all courtesy of Jimmy Mels Monster Garage in Roseville MI. 586.822.9815
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    do you have any trouble with your cable handbrake system fading? mine does but the foot brake people say works great on my bike. If I could get a full list for a hydralic one in front of me I would order one up.
    What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
    AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acinpcola View Post
    100% disabled vet here, I switched to the Spyder RT S this year when my legs could no longer keep my goldwing stable at stops. Although my disabilities stem from my naval career, I would do it all again, no questions asked.

for the Spyder for it allows me to keep my face in the wind.

Be Safe All
    AC
    I am in the same boat as you are Chief. Adds up to 140% and classified unemployable. We got the Spyder for the exact same reasons. The Spyder extends our time that we can ryde together a number of years since my wife is way younger than me. Plus, I have a place to put my folding cane on the days I need it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool us NAVY guys ...

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    I am in the same boat as you are Chief. Adds up to 140% and classified unemployable. We got the Spyder for the exact same reasons. The Spyder extends our time that we can ryde together a number of years since my wife is way younger than me. Plus, I have a place to put my folding cane on the days I need it.
    Same here for me. Wrecked my ST1100 and found the Spyder and I'm back riding again... fortunately, for now, I don't need canes or chairs...

When anyone askes me what I like about the Big Bird, I tell them it don't fall over... pot holes and slopes were my nemesis when at a stop... no problem now...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool New Handicapped rider

Hi, I crashed my Harley into a guardrail at 60mph, Lost bottom half of left leg (now wear a prosthetic limb)and partial use of left forearm and hand. My RSS SE5 is a GODsend. I've been back on the road for about 8 months after not riding for three years. My spyder and I go everywhere my wife's ElectraGlide Ultra goes. And I am happy to be in the wind. Will post pics soon. Thanks for the support.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by master1309 View Post
    Hi, I crashed my Harley into a guardrail at 60mph, Lost bottom half of left leg (now wear a prosthetic limb)and partial use of left forearm and hand. My RSS SE5 is a GODsend. I've been back on the road for about 8 months after not riding for three years. My spyder and I go everywhere my wife's ElectraGlide Ultra goes. And I am happy to be in the wind. Will post pics soon. Thanks for the support.
    Welcome aboard!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Parkinson's an Cubital tunnel

Hi to everyone. The name here is Bob Ledford and I live in Ormond Beach FL. To look at me you would all say "What's his problem? I am a retired Army NCO I picked up the Cubital Tunnel Syndrome before retirement. Had left arm surgery twice thanks to the Naval Hospital Jacksonviile, FL. The first time they relocated the Ulnar Nerve. Five years later they had to go back in, find the nerve and trace it out while getting rid of a large amount of adhesion growth. Which has almost rendered the left hand half useable. It killed my ability to use a manual clutch so in 1996 we sold our 1988 GW.

Parkinson's was discovered just after retirement in 2001. Again I feel quite lucky as it is under control with medications.

I love the SE-5 option on my RTL which put me back on the road again. I think riding and having to be aware has helped keep the PD at bay. For about 10 years I did a Loy of web design work. But the LH started curling again so I lost half of my coding fingers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

add to the roll

some really interesting comments in this thread, and some great ideas

just call me gimpy.... lol

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limited ryders

I had to go to three wheels after two shoulder reconstructions and two knee replacements. I hated giving up my cruiser after riding over forty years so the next best thing was a Spyder RT Limited. It allows me to have three quarters of the experience and that's fine with me. Thanks for the section regarding Handicap ryders this will allow us to learn from others the do's and don'ts together.

Spyder Garage

Default I Call Myself Handi-Capable

I wear a leg brace after being the victim of a Hit and Run Driver while I was a pedestrian. I have limited knee bend and reduced strength in my right leg so larger two wheelers weren't a good option for me anymore. My Spyder has been the perfect thing to get me back on the open road. I added ISCI floorboards and the ISCI Handbrake which has been a Godsend. Yes it's pricey but I think well worth it plus the ISCI folk give a discount to we Handi-Capable Riders. Ride Safe!
    The WildBat - 2017 Can-Am Spyder F3-L
    Little Bre - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S
    Phantom 2.0 - My SuperSpyder. 2008 Can-Am Spyder SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Quality of Life

Hi, I am a former educator who is now disabled. Now @ 49 I thought I would never ride a two wheeler or even a trike. After having a heart attack and being diagnosed with CHF and Cardiomyopathy and an EF @ 10% with a pacemaker-defb inserted. Many people look at me and would never know. I have the disabled logo on my RT and the looks and some comments I get when I park are sometimes uncomfortable and at times I tell people of my condition. " But your Riding a Bike" is what I always get. It is difficult for me to walk distances and do certain things but I have a new normal and I live within my limits. By the Lords grace the Spyder has helped enhance my quality of life.

Spyder Garage

A couple of years ago, I was injured by malfunctioning equipment at work (should have quit beforehand, when I asked the boss to fix it and he said no). Despite a surgery and 2 years' worth of various therapy, my left hip is not cooperating very well.

Thankfully I had wanted a Spyder ever since they came out so I don't feel like I had to "settle" for a Spyder, like some people assume; rather I finally had an excuse to buy one. I'd rather not have had that excuse but well, I do. I love Spyders, I actually enjoy them more than 2 wheelers (which I started riding over 20 years ago).

I do want to get a hand brake but don't have a real NEED for one yet so I really can't justify to spend the money. Maybe by the time I really NEED one, someone will come up with a more affordable kit... who knows, maybe even BRP will design one!
    Last edited by griffontamer; 04-27-2016 at 01:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    What I have found on the brakes on the Spyder is you do not get full stopping power from the first push of the pedal. Magic Man has been doing some testing on that too. If you pump it once the pedal comes up higher than the first pump. Not sure why that is.

If I'm going to use my hand brake only I give myself a little extra room to stop and I pump it twice. I still have it in the back on my head that cables break and I hope that ISCI will have their hydraulic system done soon because that will be the hot setup.
    where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cplbayou View Post
    where did you find a non-hydraulic handbrake, I've had my spyder for about a month and was fine, my new leg was delivered and now I am having trouble braking. The only handbrakes I have found are between $1250.00 and $1350.00 which is out of my price range right now, I assume the non -hydraulic would be cheaper
    Years ago, before ISCI came out with the hydraulic brake system, some owners had come up with a cable operated hand brake. It just went from a handlebar mounted brake lever to the foot brake pedal. There should be some threads in the archives on this subject from '09 or '10.

Spyder Garage

Default Muscular Dystrophy Still Riding

I have been fighting a progressive disease for quite a spell now and just love the spyder. The feel of the wind in my face and the freedom born in my DNA that strives to be unleashed.
    Enjoy my friends

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone from the NW part of the country?

Went to Back Fire Motto night in Ballard WA yesterday, many cool bikes, vintage, bobbers, custom you name it but no Spyders, Hmm maybe we should do something about that eh.

Spyder Garage

i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
    Put me on your list of riders.
    Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wlo48 View Post
    i also don't care for 2004 term disabled. I say I am mobility challenged. I lost my right leg in 2004 due to exposure to Agent Orange which caused cancer. In 2011 I lost my right pelvic bone. When this happened I decided I was not going to be a disabled VietNam veteran, but a rider of my cycle. I put a sidecar on my 1991 HD Softail Springer and 45000 miles later I bought a 2012 SE5 RT Limited. I have almost finished an adapted brake pedal to the left side.
    Put me on your list of riders.
    Even though I have 34 years as a Military Policeman, I do all of my own work so I am very interested in all of your posts.
    Thank you for your service!
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default not so sad, just necessary

Well, it was fun and we enjoyed the few local rides but the Spyder has to go. Life happens when you are having fun and priorities in this case are easily made. I listed the Spyder here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ly-1-754-miles

We are actually hopeful in an upcoming medical procedure, so no sadness in it. Totally hopeful in an awesome outcome.

Bottom line, check out the 2015 RTL in the thread above.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wasaga Beach Ont

Just 100 km or so (~60 miles) North of Toronto, Ontaro

My second Spyder - 2008 SE then 2012 RT-S ..... Next could be a '16 or '17 RT-S

Left AKA - So no further mods were needed. Well I do really like my Airhawk as it alleviates the "push" from the lip on my Prosthetic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost my left leg

I are a disabled Spyder Ryder. Lost my left leg in a motorcycle accident March 2016. Since I still have my right leg, I do pretty well on my Spyder rt with the electric shift. The only mod I've made is I added a luggage rack for carrying my wheelchair. Now that I'm using my prosthesis I'm carrying my crutches on the rack instead of my chair.

For those interested in the chair I use...
    $129 at amazon. Weighs about 20 pounds. Holds 250 pounds. Folds in from 4 corners like a camp chair. I recommend removing the leg supports.

IMG_0078.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...chair+in+a+bag

Spyder Garage

Default T-12 para

Hi all. Just got myself a 2013 ST SE5 Ltd. Have just completed putting in the ISCI hand brake mod. That went pretty smoothly. Just some bleeding issues, but got that resolved pretty quickly. Next step is to have a holder manufactured to hold my wheelchair on the back of the bike. I will be using a rigid frame chair, so the wheels will be left on the chair. The chair will be lifted manually onto the bike. It will be situated facing the rear of the bike. The footrest of the chair will essentially be sitting on the fender (on a modification) and the chair's axle will be used to clamp to the other modification that will be attached to the already existing back rest. The majority of the chair's weight will be here. Looking forward to getting this completed and getting out on the road.