Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Boy Scouts to admit girls

Well, certainly some will consider this as a sign of the Apocalypse. The Girl scouts are also upset by this. But I think expanding choices for girls is a good thing. From what I understand, each has a different curriculum. I don't know how much Girl Scouts have changed. When my sister was in it it was basically home economics which bored her to no end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-girls/542769/
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the new name is "Scouts BSA".

It should just be "Scouts: BS!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

didn't i see this in an episode of brady bunch with marcia & peter

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think there will be trouble on the horizon ...

Spyder Garage

More pc retardation.
    when will the tranny scouts be formed?

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

This should make some of those over night camping trips interesting.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no....!!!!

Gender neutral scouts.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well... seems like the girls are more like boys nowadays, than the boys are. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    This should make some of those over night camping trips interesting.
    The co-ed scout leaders are going to be too pre-occupied with each other to care what the scouts are up to
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Some very good and humorous responses here but let me shed a little light as an Asst. Scoutmaster in my 9th year with one Eagle and another achieving Life in 5 days. The main drivers behind this are money and number of new scouts or lack thereof. We have seen Troop sizes diminish greatly over the last decade. We now compete with sports constantly, 2 working parent families, and a slowly dwindling interest in outdoor things among today’s youth. Plus by the time they get to high school Scouting isn’t considered to be that “cool”. Compounding this is the LDS leaving because of Scout policy regarding admitting Gay Scouts. Probably other reasons too. Bridging 3-5 Webelos into a Troop is considered a really good year.

Because numbers are down it means revenue is down. Add to that a lot of families with daughters are very interested in the Scout program and what it offers relative to Girl Scouts. It also simplifies their life if both kids are involved in the same activity the same evening. The decision is not popular with the Girl Scout organization as you can imagine as they are hurting for membership as well.

Compound this with the fact that getting parents to volunteer to be Scoutmasters, Asst. Scoutmaster or just help by volunteering time to the Troop is an absolute nightmare now. Adults just aren’t stepping up any more and it sets a bad precedent for their scouts. Scouts with involved parents do far better and those of us that are involved need a lot more help. We are burning out.

Our Troop will respect the policy but we haven’t gotten much guidance yet and we will be learning via trial and error. For the most part I don’t have a problem with it and it might help the young men to better respect women. I do strongly feel though that there needs to be some Boy only, and Girl only, opportunity and activities whether it be the summer camps or whatever.
    2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Girls have been part of Scouts Australia since 1973.

The sky hasn't fallen in..

ps husband is a Queens Scout as are his three brothers, and his father was a Kings Scout. Various leadership roles over the decades.

You are right about the challenges in gaining membership.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Some very good and humorous responses here but let me shed a little light as an Asst. Scoutmaster in my 9th year with one Eagle and another achieving Life in 5 days. The main drivers behind this are money and number of new scouts or lack thereof. We have seen Troop sizes diminish greatly over the last decade. We now compete with sports constantly, 2 working parent families, and a slowly dwindling interest in outdoor things among today’s youth. Plus by the time they get to high school Scouting isn’t considered to be that “cool”. Compounding this is the LDS leaving because of Scout policy regarding admitting Gay Scouts. Probably other reasons too. Bridging 3-5 Webelos into a Troop is considered a really good year.

Because numbers are down it means revenue is down. Add to that a lot of families with daughters are very interested in the Scout program and what it offers relative to Girl Scouts. It also simplifies their life if both kids are involved in the same activity the same evening. The decision is not popular with the Girl Scout organization as you can imagine as they are hurting for membership as well.

Compound this with the fact that getting parents to volunteer to be Scoutmasters, Asst. Scoutmaster or just help by volunteering time to the Troop is an absolute nightmare now. Adults just aren’t stepping up any more and it sets a bad precedent for their scouts. Scouts with involved parents do far better and those of us that are involved need a lot more help. We are burning out.

Our Troop will respect the policy but we haven’t gotten much guidance yet and we will be learning via trial and error. For the most part I don’t have a problem with it and it might help the young men to better respect women. I do strongly feel though that there needs to be some Boy only, and Girl only, opportunity and activities whether it be the summer camps or whatever.
    Parental participation is a big problem with troops. My older brother made Eagle, I made Life, a member of Order of The Arrow, and yes we all started as Cub Scouts. The troop dwindled down to the point of being three from my family, and two from another family that showed (maybe) up once a month. The troop stayed open just long enough for my brother to finish his Eagle, and then my dad closed it. The boys in the troop dropped out because, like you said, it was not cool, parental lack of participation (my Dad was their babysitter), and yes the other kids involvement in sports.

I too was a parental helper when my daughters were in Girl Scouts, but they got bored with it after three years, and stopped wanting to go.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, certainly some will consider this as a sign of the Apocalypse. The Girl scouts are also upset by this. But I think expanding choices for girls is a good thing. From what I understand, each has a different curriculum. I don't know how much Girl Scouts have changed. When my sister was in it it was basically home economics which bored her to no end.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-girls/542769/
    Many years ago, I joined the Cub Scouts, which was followed by the Webelos, the Boy Scouts, and finally, the Explorers. It was an all male fraternity of sorts which has done just fine, up until now. I've heard too, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has also now begun distancing themselves from the Boy Scouts for admitting girls. I'm sure that the founder of the Boy Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell never envisioned the organization he founded in 1908, going co-ed. Would the Boy Scouts, still retain their signature, organizational name, or would it be modified to something "more" suited to the 21st Century?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    Many years ago, I joined the Cub Scouts, which was followed by the Webelos, the Boy Scouts, and finally, the Explorers. It was an all male fraternity of sorts which has done just fine, up until now. I've heard too, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, has also now begun distancing themselves from the Boy Scouts for admitting girls. I'm sure that the founder of the Boy Scouts, Robert Baden-Powell never envisioned the organization he founded in 1908, going co-ed. Would the Boy Scouts, still retain their signature, organizational name, or would it be modified to something "more" suited to the 21st Century?
    Changing the name to Scouts, BSA.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that there's going to be a whole bunch of new Merit Badges available:
    Dance
    Dating etiquette
    Responsible Sex practices
    ...and when THAT one fails:
    Parenting!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Will there now be badges given for the 4 bases and will men now be allowed to join the wnba or are they still going to discrimate?
    On a side note is everyone aware of the mormon church's heavy influence on the bsa?
    Last edited by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN; 05-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Will there now be badges given for the 4 bases and will me now be allowed to join the wnba or are they still going to discrimate?
    On a side note is everyone aware of the mormon church's heavy influence on the bsa?
    Mormans announced they're breaking all bonds with BSA in 2019 and forming their own version of BSA.
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Mormans announced they're breaking all bonds with BSA in 2019 and forming their own version of BSA.
    Will they have their own version of the Girl Scouts also?
    The "Sister-Wives"???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Interestingly LDS has always been its own offshoot anyway and does not mingle their Troops with non LDS folks. They do run a camp on Catalina island that is wonderful and they are some of the best kids I’ve met in Scouting when it came to working with other Scouts that went to that camp. You do not have to be LDS to go there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Will they have their own version of the Girl Scouts also?
    The "Sister-Wives"???
    You are enjoying this far too much aren’t you Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interestingly LDS has always been its own offshoot anyway and does not mingle their Troops with non LDS folks. They do run a camp on Catalina island that is wonderful and they are some of the best kids I’ve met in Scouting when it came to working with other Scouts that went to that camp. You do not have to be LDS to go there.
    Is this the old Cherry Valley Camp that the Boy Scouts used to run before they lost the lease? They lost the lease in the mid/late 70's if I remember right.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Is this the old Cherry Valley Camp that the Boy Scouts used to run before they lost the lease? They lost the lease in the mid/late 70's if I remember right.
    Yep same camp. LDS has been running it since I went 9 years ago and probably before that. For a scout camp the food is great and you can’t beat the kayaking and hikes on the hills overlooking the water. I had a blast.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    More pc retardation.
    when will the tranny scouts be formed?

I am not sure what their policy is on trans scouts. But I see it as a positive sign that people who are 'different' are now being allowed to fully participate in society.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are enjoying this far too much aren’t you Bob
    Sometimes you just have to shake your head, and laugh!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If the new name is "Scouts BSA".

It should just be "Scouts: BS!"
    No I think traders come to mind. yes Thats the word I'm looking for...... Traders