Thread: Off shift

Spyder Garage

Default Off shift

Got a question for the group, have had this happen a couple times! When going up threw the gears getting out into traffic, I shift threw and it seems when I go threw third gear I get a bobble or hesitation, going into that gear. Some times it's happen rounding off a on ramp, so i thought it was maybe the nanny telling me to behave, but it has happen on a straight stretch of road also, so I don't know what to think. Am I maybe over reving it and it will not shift threw, I don't know? I have a 2012 RTL. Thank you for your time, Mike
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Got a question for the group, have had this happen a couple times! When going up threw the gears getting out into traffic, I shift threw and it seems when I go threw third gear I get a bobble or hesitation, going into that gear. Some times it's happen rounding off a on ramp, so i thought it was maybe the nanny telling me to behave, but it has happen on a straight stretch of road also, so I don't know what to think. Am I maybe over reving it and it will not shift threw, I don't know? I have a 2012 RTL. Thank you for your time, Mike
    Shift points on your 2012 998 should be around 5000 - 5500. You can run that one all the way up to about 9000 before redlining it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I know I am not redlining it, no way. It's hard to explain, the first time it happen I was coming off a on ramp didn't think I was on it that hard but the curve was sharp so I thought that may have been the fly in the soup, the other times it's been on a straight stretch of road just getting threw the gears, not hard, but not touring, if you know what I mean. Maybe I've got to watch my tack closer, it just don't feel like it's right. Thanks for the input!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔Cur

Is this an se (semi-auto) or an sm (manual) shift RT..? Sometimes on the se if you let up on the gas when shifting you have this problem.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Had that happen on my ST-S and the oil was low.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Is this an se (semi-auto) or an sm (manual) shift RT..? Sometimes on the se if you let up on the gas when shifting you have this problem.
    Yes it's a se, don't think I am popping the gas! Thanks for the reply, just trying to figure this out and take all the advise I can get!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysonwheels View Post
    Had that happen on my ST-S and the oil was low.
    I will check that next time out! Thanks!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I get that too, not sure if it’s only 3rd gear, but definitively under harder acceleration. Oil level is fine. I found if I ever slightly roll off during the shift I get butter smooth shifting. 2016 SE6.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike - there are times that the duration of the engine blip is a little longer than at other times. It seems to be related to how hard you're getting on it and the RPM at the time of the shift. If that's a description of what you're asking about, then I consider that normal - since mine has been doing that ever since it came out of the crate. I've never seen any indication that it was a VSS (Nanny) activation. The whole shift process is in the hands of the TCM and ECM, so it happens for whatever reason. Just keep your oil level in spec.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Mine will do it on the 3 to 4 shift if the oil is just 2 or 3 oz low.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Mike - there are times that the duration of the engine blip is a little longer than at other times. It seems to be related to how hard you're getting on it and the RPM at the time of the shift. If that's a description of what you're asking about, then I consider that normal - since mine has been doing that ever since it came out of the crate. I've never seen any indication that it was a VSS (Nanny) activation. The whole shift process is in the hands of the TCM and ECM, so it happens for whatever reason. Just keep your oil level in spec.
    I've not checked the oil yet, but it will be the next thing I do. But it seems that what your talking about is just what I am seeing! I want to Thank all of you that have replied it has been a big help with a lot of good info. THANKS
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The absolute first thing to check when the shifting gets wonky: the oil level!
    It's the first outward sign you'll see, that the bike needs a drink...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black