Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the possibility of mounting up a side car to my F3-T .. Anyone ever done it?

And no, you are reading this correctly .... What's the possiblity of mounting up a side-car to my F3-T ... Anyone ever done it?

I'm a 66 year old lower left leg amputee .... love riding, always have. February just gone this year, I splashed out and bought my latest ride, a 2017 F3-T in the SE6 variant ... so all paddle shift auto - fantastic.

My wife has had MS for the passed 35 plus years.... (and in any case, being an ex nurse she is far from partial to motorcycles at all at any time ... In her words .... she has seen first hand all the damage that can come from them) .. Despite this I have always quietly tried to coherse, poke and and gently 'push' her towards relaxing and join me on any of the bikes over the years, but always to no avail.

Taking this into account I've still always had it in the back of my mind to some how, totally include Cathy as much as possible with this current ride as well. I was 99% sure when buying 'any' traditional bike, the pillion set up even physically for her could not work.

My quandry also right now is Cathy's MS is to the stage where she cannot self support very well and is extremely tentatively of taking more than just a couple of steps at all, unsupported.

So this has still been going over and over in my mind and for no particular reason, even more so of late.

Then just the other day and again for no particular reason, I thought ... I wonder if it would be possible to mount up a side car to the new Spyder ... To me this would be the perfect solution ... Previously and to tell the absolute truth, I had not even vaguely given any side car option a thought. I guess you just very rarely see them about, if at all these days.

Leading up to this revelation I now have Cathy to the stage where she would be keen to come along (so she now says) if I can find a way. To me the side car thought would be fantastic as all I need her to do would be sit in there and let the day go past and 'enjoy the ride'

Anyone had any experience with this type of 'adaption' for the Spyder ... Cheers and thanks in advance

Just a heads up with a quick edit ... I had also posted this same thread in the how to do it yourself section also looking for alternate comments from there. It appears I am not allowed to comment on more than one of the same thread .. fare enough ... also as an aside we are not allow to tow folks in a trailer in Australia end of story .. cheers and thanks again for your inputs ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-15-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Addition and clarification ...

Spyder Garage

I am taking this so seriously that here are a couple of bits and pieces that say to me ... here in Australia 'the side car project' could very well be a goer .... and definitely doable ....

So I went through the workshop manual 'Chassis' area as well as had a good squiz on the net ..

IMO so far, plenty of chassis to work with and the 'proposed approximate scale dimensions also say the same ...

The maximum width for a registerable vehicle here in Queensland Australia is 2440mm or 8 feet in the old money ...

My initial current calculations put my proposal at really close to 2170mm in width .... The stock length of the F3-T is 2596 mm or 8.83ft (again in the old money) ...

I am also attaching a few of my references ...

All input yea or na as long as constructive appreciated !

Spyder Garage

Happy.

Sorry I can't help here. But I wish you the best of luck with this and am looking forward to following your thread.

Please update as you progress if you can

Phil
    Bkfld ca.

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome...!!

Looks like you are close to making this happen for your lovely wife. Would love to see you both out there.. keep us up to date on your progress.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default side car

I would also check and see if it will change the auto adjust on the suspension i would also say your tire ware will change some but i think it could work i would check with BRP for warranty and frame issues. Good luck and let us know how it works out

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER PLKUS SIDECAR = DISASTER

.......... I think so Far out of the box I'm probably not even on the planet most of the time ( visit my Albums, especially the 917 project car ) ... but this idea is a real nightmare .... It took the BRP ( + others ) years to work the bugs out of the Spyder frame & suspension alone and you think adding a sidecar is doable .....I'm a die-hard DIY'er ( 80 plus mods to me 14 RT ).... I really wish you all the best and pray for your's and the Mrs. safety ....... jmho .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default VESPA

heck, if they can come up with a SIDE-CAR for my little VESPA, why not for your SPYD3R as well.....
    SAM_1283.jpg SAM_1282 (1).jpg SAM_1284 (1).jpg SAM_1285.jpg
    best of luck with this project.... wish i could help...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

If you throw enough time and money at anything you can make it happen. I like your rendering in your second post, It looks more doable then I would have thought. Question, have you thought of making the sidecar wheel steerable?

You might also consider using an F3 without the left side saddlebag. That way you could get it a little narrower. If you could get the track of the left wheel and the car wheel closer to the same it might help with steering. Don't really know anything,just speculating.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-13-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you can do it, and make the electronics accept the additional inputs, it could be very interesting.

As I understand it, sidecars put a lot of extra input into the package. When accelerating they cause the bike to want to turn in one direction, when decelerating, the opposite happens.

Then, when making turns, you are either going to "fly" the rig or have an outrigger depending on which side the car is.

Throw these into mix with the current electronics and you have a very interesting situation.

Very interested in seeing the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sidecar rigs involve much more than just sticking on a sidecar.
    There are alignment considerations. The sidecar wheel is not lined with the rear wheel of the tug. It becomes a trike if it is. Lining it with the rear on a Spyder would make it car-like. Not saying that's bad. We who comment do not know.
    Given two wheels in front to start with on a Spyder, the yawing during acceleration and deceleration will likely not be an issue.
    There is a very active sidecar forum at advriders. It may be worth asking this question there to get answers based more on experience than conjecture. Or contact one of the sidecar manufacturers like Claude at Freedom Sidecars. He's active on that forum and very knowledgeable.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
    I would also check and see if it will change the auto adjust on the suspension i would also say your tire ware will change some but i think it could work i would check with BRP for warranty and frame issues. Good luck and let us know how it works out
    Thanks Sylvester ... (Tongue in cheek as we say over here) I am willing to sweep the warranty issues under the carpet to get this up and going ... The more I become engaged with this the more I am convinced it will work ...

As added incentive I remembered today from just doing the initial rego a couple of months back here in Queensland (Qld) Aust., there is also a whopping difference for our yearly registration costing of $200 per year as to whether I register the Spyder as pillion carrying capable or solo ... Then again it struck me ...

There is nothing stopping me from making changes to the F3 in the mean time. However, if I register it as a solo from next year, I obviously have to remove everything pillion and in doing so in the mean time. I then have a perfect place to link in one of the slave support arms ....

Choo choo here we come ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    Sidecar rigs involve much more than just sticking on a sidecar.
    There are alignment considerations. The sidecar wheel is not lined with the rear wheel of the tug. It becomes a trike if it is. Lining it with the rear on a Spyder would make it car-like. Not saying that's bad. We who comment do not know.
    Given two wheels in front to start with on a Spyder, the yawing during acceleration and deceleration will likely not be an issue.
    There is a very active sidecar forum at advriders. It may be worth asking this question there to get answers based more on experience than conjecture. Or contact one of the sidecar manufacturers like Claude at Freedom Sidecars. He's active on that forum and very knowledgeable.
    Thanks and I agree with what you are saying re the Yaw effects etc ...

I am already all over this and no I will not just be 'strapping on' a side car ... My history is from an engineering background so yep ... totally agree thanks again ..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If you throw enough time and money at anything you can make it happen. I like your rendering in your second post, It looks more doable then I would have thought. Question, have you thought of making the sidecar wheel steerable?

You might also consider using an F3 without the left side saddlebag. That way you could get it a little narrower. If you could get the track of the left wheel and the car wheel closer to the same it might help with steering. Don't really know anything,just speculating.
    Apparently it is true then, 'great minds do think alike' .... Almost from the moment of its conception, this is one thought I have been mulling over all along ..... This hasn't been so much to bring the side-car concept closer to the ride, but from the point of when I go ahead ... how the hell would I be able to open that particular saddle bag / side case. The side cases do swing out a reasonable distance when opened. So much so I am already 'contemplating' adjusting the 'gutter' side rear of design of the side car's build to be able to attach / take this 'in-between' saddle bag and relocate it there accordingly ... I

'll have to also look way more closely at this, as I have less than a foot right now before I would exceed our maximum carriage way width allowance for a vehicle ... From a forward trajectory point of view, I also want to stay away from the dynamics of making the new ride wider than it is in length, as there can be avoidable consequences of doing this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......... I think so Far out of the box I'm probably not even on the planet most of the time ( visit my Albums, especially the 917 project car ) ... but this idea is a real nightmare .... It took the BRP ( + others ) years to work the bugs out of the Spyder frame & suspension alone and you think adding a sidecar is doable .....I'm a die-hard DIY'er ( 80 plus mods to me 14 RT ).... I really wish you all the best and pray for your's and the Mrs. safety ....... jmho .... Mike
    There is no way in hell I will sit my little lovely in this if I ever though I was creating a disaster just waiting to happen ... Besides I'm not too proud to say I love my God and if that's his wish, then who am I too argue ! I ask for his guidance everyday and forever been up to my thoughts with safety within the Aviation industry. I see no reason why anything will change now. In that field everything had to be signed and counter over-signed for ... Amen brother !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you can do it, and make the electronics accept the additional inputs, it could be very interesting.

As I understand it, sidecars put a lot of extra input into the package. When accelerating they cause the bike to want to turn in one direction, when decelerating, the opposite happens.

Then, when making turns, you are either going to "fly" the rig or have an outrigger depending on which side the car is.

Throw these into mix with the current electronics and you have a very interesting situation.

Very interested in seeing the outcome.
    I really appreciate these thoughts but ...

To begin with there are no upright stability issues as there are on a traditionally fitted side car concept. Spyders are already set up to be ridden 100% upright just the same the same as an ATV or Quad bike (so no counter roll compensation will be required) ...There is no counter allowance necessary for the body.

There are no connected electronics except for lighting ..

If I wanted to be real flash I could build in an independent inertia braking system using gyros ... which is not that hard ..

When attaching a conventional side-car, yes there are necessary compensations for drag on acceleration and load when braking ... To counter this (as I will also have to do) the side-car's direction of forward motion has a slight in built 'tow in' compensation as part of the fit up process, which is a really attentive process, but simple thing to do.

Lastly ... 'Then, when making turns, you are either going to "fly" the rig or have an outrigger depending on which side the car is ... ' Totally agree .... so what makes that any different to exactly what is happening with the geometry of the front wheels on our Spyder set ups right now ? .... I would suggest absolutely nothing ...

All I can say is please, please keep these thoughts coming, because if I can find something I haven't anticipated I would be eternally grateful ..
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-14-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    And no, you are reading this correctly .... What's the possiblity of mounting up a side-car to my F3-T ... Anyone ever done it?

I'm a 66 year old lower left leg amputee .... love riding, always have. February just gone this year, I splashed out and bought my latest ride, a 2017 F3-T in the SE6 variant ... so all paddle shift auto - fantastic.

My wife has had MS for the passed 35 plus years.... (and in any case, being an ex nurse she is far from partial to motorcycles at all at any time ... In her words .... she has seen first hand all the damage that can come from them) .. Despite this I have always quietly tried to coherse, poke and and gently 'push' her towards relaxing and join me on any of the bikes over the years, but always to no avail.

Taking this into account I've still always had it in the back of my mind to some how, totally include Cathy as much as possible with this current ride as well. I was 99% sure when buying 'any' traditional bike, the pillion set up even physically for her could not work.

My quandry also right now is Cathy's MS is to the stage where she cannot self support very well and is extremely tentatively of taking more than just a couple of steps at all, unsupported.

So this has still been going over and over in my mind and for no particular reason, even more so of late.

Then just the other day and again for no particular reason, I thought ... I wonder if it would be possible to mount up a side car to the new Spyder ... To me this would be the perfect solution ... Previously and to tell the absolute truth, I had not even vaguely given any side car option a thought. I guess you just very rarely see them about, if at all these days.

Leading up to this revelation I now have Cathy to the stage where she would be keen to come along (so she now says) if I can find a way. To me the side car thought would be fantastic as all I need her to do would be sit in there and let the day go past and 'enjoy the ride'

Anyone had any experience with this type of 'adaption' for the Spyder ... Cheers and thanks in advance
    I had sort of put this photo to the back of my mind from a little while ago when first starting to do the research on this ...

These are Keijis 2 trikes with side cars .... The one on the left is a H_D tri-glide 'Electra' and the one on the right .. well I'll leave that up you to try to figure out ...(colourful character) ... My point is ... Yep, this can be done ... probably an extension to that should be ... we can't let the H_D riders have all the glory ?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2 in the above post, both appear to be goldwing trikes, with a sidecar.
    I wish I could suggest a way to make this happen for you, but I have no skills or expertise in this area. I truly hope you are able to make this week for you and your bride. I will be keeping up with this and wishing you both the very best.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Just mulling this over a little, & a couple of grey cells collided & went into auto gibber..... but maybe this might help your cogitation just a little. I've seen an RT down this way that had the entire LH Pannier removed basically cut off from the outside edge of the Pillion's LH handgrip assy, & a wheelchair rack affixed in place of that pannier.... and I reckon I've seen a pic of a similar RT that BRP had modified to install a motorised wheelchair lifter for a disabled Veteran. Bearing that in mind, I don't believe the F3-T's are really all that much different wrt their built in panniers, so maybe if you looked into taking the LH Pannier off in much the same way.... that should let you get the outfit tucked in closer to the thrust centreline by about 100-150mms or so, maybe even more, and thereby significantly reduce the drag & steering problems that fitting a chair would normally add. Just a thought at his stage, but still!

While I was thinking along those lines, pondering on the issues it could raise up front with steering etc, I thought that maybe if you use the rear-most front suspension frame mounting points (Upper? Lower? Both??) to secure a trailing link projecting out & back in order to locate the front end of your proposed outfits outrigger wheel, so you should be able to allow for enough 'adjustments' in the outrigger's wheel alignment (toe in/out etc) to help fix any tracking or steering issues. I alreadh discovered that it wasn't all that hard to 'convert' the OE frame end front suspension mounting points in order to make the front end a whole lot more 'fine-tunable' (snail screws & eccentric washers might be old hat, but hey, they work!) so I don't think the tracking & wheel alignment changes you'd need to sort would be too hard to overcome. Heck, make the outfits' outer skin or overall shape similar to just the LH half of the shape you've already drawn, tuck it right in close to where the LH pannier is (or was, if you remove it!) & you could very nearly slot most of the extra bulk in effectively behind the LH front wheel, with the outrigger wheel being the widest point of the whole lot but angled & suspended so that it doesn't add any significant drag or any significant tendency to 'fly' on hard LH turns.... it might add a little to your 'tightest turning circle' that way tho, but the extra inboard weight could make for 'rocket sled on rails' turns, & if you tie the chair suspension into the main bike's suspension with a supersized BajaRon Bar to transfer suspension compression, you might even get the same impact turning right too!! Get it right & there'd be no way you'd ever lift the inside front wheel again, whichever way you turn!!

This could be verrrry innnnterrresting, and a whole lotta fun too!! But could we raise it 150mm & stick on a set of knobbly muddies or off road tires to get it out & hit the fire tracks??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Will the laws in Australia allow you to have 4 wheels. It probably would not fall under the law for trailers, since it will carry a passenger. Something to check before you get too far into it.

Spyder Garage

Smile 3 Wheels to 4!!

I am taking this so seriously that here are a couple of bits and pieces that say to me ... here in Australia 'the side car project' could very well be a goer .... and definitely doable ....

So I went through the workshop manual 'Chassis' area as well as had a good squiz on the net ..

IMO so far, plenty of chassis to work with and the 'proposed approximate scale dimensions also say the same ...

The maximum width for a registerable vehicle here in Queensland Australia is 2440mm or 8 feet in the old money ...

My initial current calculations put my proposal at really close to 2170mm in width .... The stock length of the F3-T is 2596 mm or 8.83ft (again in the old money) ...

I am also attaching a few of my references ...

All input yea or na as long as constructive appreciated !

A little money, and a lot of love can accomplish anything!I think if you remove the side case that would narrow the track and affect the steering less. You should be able to attach to the frame in several point with flexible couplings to reduce the effect of the side car on the ride. A ridged mounting would likely be very rough to ride for both of you. As MS progresses she may be in a wheelchair eventually so I'd consider a platform on the side car frame rather than just a saddle. You obviously are putting a lot of thought into this project along with love. I wish you well and please keep us posted. Some Mechanical Engineers with CAD experience may be able to help you also????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just mulling this over a little, & a couple of grey cells collided & went into auto gibber..... but maybe this might help your cogitation just a little. I've seen an RT down this way that had the entire LH Pannier removed basically cut off from the outside edge of the Pillion's LH handgrip assy, & a wheelchair rack affixed in place of that pannier.... and I reckon I've seen a pic of a similar RT that BRP had modified to install a motorised wheelchair lifter for a disabled Veteran. Bearing that in mind, I don't believe the F3-T's are really all that much different wrt their built in panniers, so maybe if you looked into taking the LH Pannier off in much the same way.... that should let you get the outfit tucked in closer to the thrust centreline by about 100-150mms or so, maybe even more, and thereby significantly reduce the drag & steering problems that fitting a chair would normally add. Just a thought at his stage, but still!

While I was thinking along those lines, pondering on the issues it could raise up front with steering etc, I thought that maybe if you use the rear-most front suspension frame mounting points (Upper? Lower? Both??) to secure a trailing link projecting out & back in order to locate the front end of your proposed outfits outrigger wheel, so you should be able to allow for enough 'adjustments' in the outrigger's wheel alignment (toe in/out etc) to help fix any tracking or steering issues. I alreadh discovered that it wasn't all that hard to 'convert' the OE frame end front suspension mounting points in order to make the front end a whole lot more 'fine-tunable' (snail screws & eccentric washers might be old hat, but hey, they work!) so I don't think the tracking & wheel alignment changes you'd need to sort would be too hard to overcome. Heck, make the outfits' outer skin or overall shape similar to just the LH half of the shape you've already drawn, tuck it right in close to where the LH pannier is (or was, if you remove it!) & you could very nearly slot most of the extra bulk in effectively behind the LH front wheel, with the outrigger wheel being the widest point of the whole lot but angled & suspended so that it doesn't add any significant drag or any significant tendency to 'fly' on hard LH turns.... it might add a little to your 'tightest turning circle' that way tho, but the extra inboard weight could make for 'rocket sled on rails' turns, & if you tie the chair suspension into the main bike's suspension with a supersized BajaRon Bar to transfer suspension compression, you might even get the same impact turning right too!! Get it right & there'd be no way you'd ever lift the inside front wheel again, whichever way you turn!!

This could be verrrry innnnterrresting, and a whole lotta fun too!! But could we raise it 150mm & stick on a set of knobbly muddies or off road tires to get it out & hit the fire tracks??
    Believe it or not Peter, I have spent a lot and I mean a lot of today addressing exactly these same issues ...

Re; removing that left hand saddle bag ... I have been going thru the Qld Road laws with a fine tooth comb and the only hi-cup I have now come across is total width .. which they designate as 1860mm in total.

So back to the Spyder drawing board with a fine tooth comb - (knowing in the back of my mind the total standard width of the Spyder is already 1497mm (1500mm) ... So that gives me now a total of just 360mm more to the new limit point past the current extremity.

So I began by measuring from the outside of the left hand side of the machine's stabilizing bar (as seen when riding - which is the further most projecting point sticking out from that side of the bike - beside the foot pegs of course) to a point parallel and equal to the outside of the left forward wheel mudguard/fender ..... which is 550mm

I know I can only go out another 360mm so that is 910mm maximum from the outer most point of the side of the bike to the new total extremity of 1860mm.

I now measured the existing stock mudguard's width of a front wheel (at its widest point) which was 190mm which I have to deduct minimum from the extremity ...

So 190 - from my 910 width = 720mm ...

Although not a shed load to spare, when times are like they are now and my amputated stump has been playing up, I have been sitting in my wheel chair nearly all day every day for the past week ... so I am using it as my reference for spacial comfort. Now I am not a small bloke ... I am 6'3" and weigh 90 kilos (that's really close to 200lb in the old money) ... my wheel chair to the outside of the arm rests is 600mm so that gives me the better part of 120mm or n5" spare.

Now bare in mind you are exactly right Peter the left hand pannier will have to come off and be worked into the rear off side of the new adaption. In my mind that is no problem as I fully intend 'likening' the design of the side car to the existing F3 .... So the pannier at the rear on that side will suit as will another front grill similar to the Spyders existing and so on ...

I know its cutting things fine but hey, lifes a challenge.

I also noted the other requirement from the Departments web site is for a 'manual' handbrake to the side car wheel ... I guess that comes from horse and cart thinking but yea that's easy enough to achieve as well ...

So its still woo woo all steam ahead !
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Will the laws in Australia allow you to have 4 wheels. It probably would not fall under the law for trailers, since it will carry a passenger. Something to check before you get too far into it.
    Spyders here in Qld are registered as a trike and trikes are registered 'under' motorcycle legislation which is Section 12B - (motor cycles registered to carry a pillion passenger) ... The current legislation having read it from cover to cover specifically goes in to how a side car must comply with attachment and to what standard of engineering but no where does it mention maximum wheels the unit is allowed to have in total.

Since their is no specific case saying no, I am going full steam ahead and will make sure everything is carried out to a high engineering standard.

As part of the legislation there is no where either that states the side car has to be formally inspected or registered, it just gives its maximum width of the total unit and bike on the carriageway and states it must be fitted with an independent manual hand/park/emergency type brake call it what ever you will ... easy !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    A little money, and a lot of love can accomplish anything!I think if you remove the side case that would narrow the track and affect the steering less. You should be able to attach to the frame in several point with flexible couplings to reduce the effect of the side car on the ride. A ridged mounting would likely be very rough to ride for both of you. As MS progresses she may be in a wheelchair eventually so I'd consider a platform on the side car frame rather than just a saddle. You obviously are putting a lot of thought into this project along with love. I wish you well and please keep us posted. Some Mechanical Engineers with CAD experience may be able to help you also????
    This is in fact the one area I am still mulling over .... i.e. making it really easy for Cathy to just 'swing' herself around side ways. Whether that involves a completely opening top section or what ever I just don't know right now .. I am pretty sure there will have to be a Mk1, a Mk2, a Mk3 model etc and so on till its 100% suited to her requirements ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    Sidecars, broom broom and Pixie dust

I was 99% sure this could be done and then just today what was able to find, but a German based company 'Kalich side cars' who specialise in what they call 'swing'type side car mounting ... In other words the bike rider rides and leans as normal, but the side car stays absolutely parallel to the road ... I won't or need the 'swing' side of this, but it does prove to me I don't need any upper, or high-mount supports forCathy's side car project.

The other thing I really like .. if you go to their web site although written in German (which is easy enough to translate using 'MS-WORD") ... They set their 'boats' which we know as the actual side car nice and low to the ground .. may-be only 10 to 15cm or so off the ground. ... (4" or so) That'll make it fairly easy to incorporate my ideas of totally bagging the suspension to take it right to ground level so Cathy will be able to enter and exit fairly easily as we require ...

Almost there now before starting to actually measure, cut and create ... hopefully during the next few days ..

As an aside ; just doing the tracking and both my ECU; which has all-butlanded at the doors of Canadian based ‘Monster ECU’ for its dose of insanity or'pixie dust' which-ever way you prefer to think of it!! and, just as good, .... a couple of custom pieces of short exhaust from the UK are just about to leave there as well destination .. my place !....

Stay tuned, it’s all happening ... Yehaa! ...
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-21-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sidecars, broom broom and Pixie dust

I was 99% sure this could be done and then just today what was able to find, but a German based company 'Kalich side cars' who specialise in what they call 'swing'type side car mounting ... In other words the bike rider rides and leans as normal, but the side car stays absolutely parallel to the road ... I won't or need the 'swing' side of this, but it does prove to me I don't need any upper, or high-mount supports forCathy's side car project.

The other thing I really like .. if you go to their web site although written in German (which is easy enough to translate using 'MS-WORD") ... They set their 'boats' which we know as the actual side car nice and low to the ground .. may-be only 10 to 15cm or so off the ground. ... (4" or so) That'll make it fairly easy to incorporate my ideas of totally bagging the suspension to take it right to ground level so Cathy will be able to enter and exit fairly easily as we require ...

Almost there now before starting to actually measure, cut and create ... hopefully during the next few days ..

As an aside ; just doing the tracking and both my ECU; which has all-butlanded at the doors of Canadian based ‘Monster ECU’ for its dose of insanity or'pixie dust' which-ever way you prefer to think of it!! and, just as good, .... a couple of custom pieces of short exhaust from the UK are just about to leave there as well destination .. my place !....

Stay tuned, it’s all happening ... Yehaa! ...
    Did you notice how they kindly moderated our discussion off of the FB group. Message me, I have some ideas for making this work very well.