Spyder Garage

Default ST-S - which belt tensioner/vibration damper...

I'd noticed a very loud harmonic whine at around 42-45 mph on my 2016 ST-S that I thought was maybe from the front left wheel. It hadn't occurred to me that this was from the belt.

Mentioned it to the service manager when I brought it in the other day for the 600 mile service and he said this was a common problem and recommended the BRP vibration damper. I said that I had seem some things online about this and about some vendor products I had seen (here) and he again "strongly" recommended in favor of the BRP...and against alternatives!
    I can't even find this on the BRP site!!!!

I've searched thru a bunch of threads and it seems the main negative against the BRP product vs other vendor products is the durability and longevity. I've also read about top vs bottom mounts.

So...any thoughts?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

The brp one is junk and not designed to last. Look up roadster renovations. Im sure Doc makes one for your model

Spyder Garage

I did look at the RR site...only listings showing for RTs but I have an email out to inquire...will also take a look at SmoothSpyder site...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default ST-S - which belt tensioner/vibration damper...

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I did look at the RR site...only listings showing for RTs but I have an email out to inquire...will also take a look at SmoothSpyder site...
    I don't think there are any other vendors out there that support much except the RT's & F-3's. Smooth spyder has a geat product, well engineered and built, goes on easy and WORKS. The only other vender might be Baker built to check. Jim stands benind his products and is always available to talk you through installation snafus. I am a sastisfied customer of Smooth spyder.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Get the RT one....

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I'd noticed a very loud harmonic whine at around 42-45 mph on my 2016 ST-S that I thought was maybe from the front left wheel. It hadn't occurred to me that this was from the belt.

Mentioned it to the service manager when I brought it in the other day for the 600 mile service and he said this was a common problem and recommended the BRP vibration damper. I said that I had seem some things online about this and about some vendor products I had seen (here) and he again "strongly" recommended in favor of the BRP...and against alternatives!
    I can't even find this on the BRP site!!!!

I've searched thru a bunch of threads and it seems the main negative against the BRP product vs other vendor products is the durability and longevity. I've also read about top vs bottom mounts.

So...any thoughts?
    ...it does fit perfectly on the ST. Did it on mine. RT and ST uses the same frame. !!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...