Thread: My first mod.

Spyder Garage

Default My first mod.

Many more to come. Got the RT Dash mount from CNC Machine. I felt it was way to close to the dash, so I added a spacer and used longer screws. Much better and more space behind the bracket. Mounted my dash-cam on the mount but did not the use the RAM system. It looks too bulky. I made a small bracket that attaches directly to the mount "est voila". The camera is much closer the windshield. Also got the gadget with 12V cigarette lighter and two USB ports. (Walmart $13.66, delivered) Used 3M outdoor double stick tape. Solid like a rock. Now I can run a very short USB cord to power the camera. Finally to wire the power supply to the battery (10A fuse inline) I ran the wire, wrapped in heat shrink through the opening for the windshield arm. Plenty of space and ran the windshield up/down several time to make sure it doesn't bind. Perfect.
    I did many mods on my former Goldwing so I have some know how.
    Now, my next 2 projects is to replace the uggly horn, and put light in all storage compartments. I don't even know where the horn is located and how many plastic I have to remove to get to it.So, if anyone did this before, I can use a little help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I found that the RAM long mount is a much better way to use that MOD.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    Now, my next 2 projects is to replace the uggly horn, and put light in all storage compartments. I don't even know where the horn is located and how many plastic I have to remove to get to it.So, if anyone did this before, I can use a little help.
    Sorry, but I have to ask; if you don't know where the horn is located, how do you know it's ugly? And, if it's hidden, why does it matter?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-10-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Smile Horn

If you have a 2014 or newer the horn is located on the left side under a vent cover ( no tools necessary). I replaced my wimpya$$ stock horn with a Striebel horn. MUCH louder. THe Wolo horn is cheaper and almost as loud ( YES-- I've compared them side by side) Which ever you choose-- use the relay kit to get full battery amperage and volume.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Wink First Mod

Mate, if you take a look where that cord is hanging, on first pic, the speaker cover.
    You can cut a 1 inch (ish) hole there and mount your 12volt outlet inside, plenty of space.
    It is neat and will look like a factory job.
    Baz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Sorry, but I have to ask; if you don't know where the horn is located, how do you know it's ugly? And, if it's hidden, why does it matter?

You're a funny guy. By ugly, I mean the sound, not what it looks like. I don't even know where the darn thing is...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BazF View Post
    Mate, if you take a look where that cord is hanging, on first pic, the speaker cover.
    You can cut a 1 inch (ish) hole there and mount your 12volt outlet inside, plenty of space.
    It is neat and will look like a factory job.
    Baz
    You mean the speaker grill? The wire for the 12V is in the back and hardly visible, only a couple of inches are visible. I don't think I want cut on the speaker grill. If you have yours like that, please post a picture. I am new at the spyder (former Goldwing) and I'm sure I can learn from you guys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    If you have a 2014 or newer the horn is located on the left side under a vent cover ( no tools necessary). I replaced my wimpya$$ stock horn with a Striebel horn. MUCH louder. THe Wolo horn is cheaper and almost as loud ( YES-- I've compared them side by side) Which ever you choose-- use the relay kit to get full battery amperage and volume.

Lew L
    I intend to use a Wolo and yes, I intend to use a relay. I have a 2018 RT Limited, 3 weeks old bike. I suspect they may have changed the location. I opened the left and right side to do some other wiring but didn't notice a horn. May be someone on this board has the same bike and can help.

Spyder Garage

You mean the speaker grill? The wire for the 12V is in the back and hardly visible, only a couple of inches are visible. I don't think I want cut on the speaker grill. If you have yours like that, please post a picture. I am new at the spyder (former Goldwing) and I'm sure I can learn from you guys.
    Well, I follow your suggestion and opened the speaker grill. No way, No how. There is no room at all to add anything. May be they re-designed the whole thing on the 2018.

Spyder Garage

"late" 2017 and 2018s horn is located "on the bottom" on the right, forward side.

This we were told by a contributor, not my personal knowledge.

easiest way to ascertain where the horn is located is with your ears.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Many more to come. Got the RT Dash mount from CNC Machine. I felt it was way to close to the dash, so I added a spacer and used longer screws. Much better and more space behind the bracket. Mounted my dash-cam on the mount but did not the use the RAM system. It looks too bulky. I made a small bracket that attaches directly to the mount "est voila". The camera is much closer the windshield. Also got the gadget with 12V cigarette lighter and two USB ports. (Walmart $13.66, delivered) Used 3M outdoor double stick tape. Solid like a rock. Now I can run a very short USB cord to power the camera. Finally to wire the power supply to the battery (10A fuse inline) I ran the wire, wrapped in heat shrink through the opening for the windshield arm. Plenty of space and ran the windshield up/down several time to make sure it doesn't bind. Perfect.
    I did many mods on my former Goldwing so I have some know how.
    How well does the camera work shooting through the windshield?
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    How well does the camera work shooting through the windshield?
    The camera works great. It has a wide angle lens and no distortion. I've got it mounted very close to the windshield.