Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I did it...almost

Hello Spyder Lovers:

Today I woke up and determined this would be a great day to try out a Spyder. I called a local BRP dealer and they had an 2018 RT Limited available for demo rides. I showed up on my motorcycle wearing all my gear. After signing a tree-page waiver, him taking a photocopy of my driver's licence, a crash course on the meaning of all the buttons and controls on or near the handlebar and grips, off I went.

I went to this ride prepared, having read a lot of stuff from this website and having watched tons of YouTube. I tried to pre-programmed my brain for the following:

- Easy on the grips
    - No clutch
    - No right grip brake lever
    - Only one brake pedal
    - It drives more like a car than a motorcyle

I started off very easy on the grips , I thought, but I felt a bit of instability. So easier it is then. That took all of one minute. Next I familiarized myself with the relationship between throttle response and gears. I found the first 3-4 gears quite short. So be it. That took about 5 minutes.

I was on a two-way road with no stop signs or lights so not much breaking at first. That's good, I have time for the other stuff. Finally, I must stop so I apply the brake (not even one thought of using the lever ). Smooth on the brake for a distance, I see I can either shift down or let the computer do it. No problem.

Next item on the checklist: a 90-degree turn. That one took a bit of getting used to as I wasn't sure how fast I could go and how much force I would feel. I would say after 2-3 90-degree turns I felt alright.

I would say very little learning curve, if any. I am sure when I get mine, a few hours will do the trick. Now it was time to get back. I realized I felt a lot more relaxed than on my 2-wheel not having to concentrate as much on every dimple in the road. I felt young again, enjoying a nice ride on a bike. I felt almost as if I regretted not having done this earlier. I didn't want to return the RT right away but obviously, I had to. I found out that in my area, people on motorcycles wave at Spyders

I would say this is quite revealing: I love it. This is a keeper. When I turned 50, I bought a Honda S2000. The day I test rode it, 2-3 hours after my return home, I was still grinning. Not as much with the Spyder, probably just because I am older, but a grin maker and grin stamper just the same.

Based on my research, I thought I wanted a 2017 F3S-SE6 but that is not what I rode. Unfortunately, he didn't have one and he will not take my motorcycle as trade-in. Now I need to decide whether I test an F3 or buy one anyway before testing it. In any event, I will be shopping for my next ride ASAP. If someone has any good advice on dealers in Ontario between Toronto and Montreal, let me know. Ideally, I would like to trade my current bike as part of the deal.

Thank you all for the valuable input I found on this site.

Be safe.

JG

Spyder Garage

Ride the F3 first. It's the only way you'll know you're getting the right ride. At these prices, do you really want to guess?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yup! Test drive the F3 also. Two entirely different bikes. The RT is a "touring couch," and the F3 is a "cruiser." Different strokes for different folks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Definitely take a test drive. Do you ride alone or with a passenger? You may want to consider that if it applies. Good luck!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default a newbie

I forgot how to post on here. can someone tell me how ? to post a new thread

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Ride the F3 first. It's the only way you'll know you're getting the right ride. At these prices, do you really want to guess?
    Try to find a Spyder group near you; one of them may let you ride their F-3.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AraņaRider View Post
    I forgot how to post on here. can someone tell me how ? to post a new thread
    Go to 'forum'. Select the right category for your thread. Then hit the button for starting a new thread.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW RIDER

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Definitely take a test drive. Do you ride alone or with a passenger? You may want to consider that if it applies. Good luck!
    .......... also I think every New Rider should read your Thread on this ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've been a member here for nine and a-half years, and you're finally getting around to the test rides?

Better late than never!!
    And also agree: give the F3 a spin; before writing a check!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Test drive another model then decide what you want then call Imotorsports. See if they will take your trade?

Spyder Garage

Default Where did you test drive ?

I’ve dealt with Snow City Cycle in Toronto for a few years now , they are ok by me for service and Hans ( who sold me my Spyder ) was good to deal with . Good advice from the folks on here about test driving both , many have owned Spyders from the first model to the new F3 and RT . Good luck 👍

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Test drive another model then decide what you want then call Imotorsports. See if they will take your trade?
    He hasn't put in his location. I think it is Ontario. No deliveries to there.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    He hasn't put in his location. I think it is Ontario. No deliveries to there.

OH well I tried

Spyder Garage

Default What they said...

it is all in that test ryde.. once you get the basics done you move into the world of mods and farkeling... sponsors will help you get what you need to improve the safety, comfort, beauty and performance you may feel a need for.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You've been a member here for nine and a-half years, and you're finally getting around to the test rides?

Better late than never!!
    And also agree: give the F3 a spin; before writing a check!
    Yes, indeed. I became fascinated by the Spyder as soon as they came out. It was close to when I crashed my bike in a construction zone. Now I regret not doing so earlier, specially when I bought my current bike in 2015. It would have saved me a lot of money! But I think I believed then that I still had the 2-wheel in me. Recently, my son started riding and it made me realize that I was not as confident as before on a 2-wheel.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Between Montreal and Toronto, that's a bit vague.

If you are closer to Toronto, I can't help, but more toward Eastern Ontario, there's Loiselles Sport in Embrun and Maximum Powersports in Hawkesbury.

I got the first 2 Spyders from Loiselles, always had good service.

The current one, a brand new 2018 RT 10th Anniversary is from Maximum, I made my decision based on price, can`t really comment on service yet but have not heard any negatives about them.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Default WOW WEEEEEEE

joining in NOV 2008 and still without a spyder??????? will you ever make the change, switch, feel time to go from 2 wheels to 3? maybe MORE time will tell!! I also liked them when first came out, I was drooling........until March 2017, and bought used 2015 RTL with 224 miles on March 15, 2017. matter of about 13 days of looking and thinking
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I am stuck like the original poster, but even worst as i will have to drive 8 hrs just to get a test drive . Dealer in my area does not offer test rides.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Yes, indeed. I became fascinated by the Spyder as soon as they came out. It was close to when I crashed my bike in a construction zone. Now I regret not doing so earlier, specially when I bought my current bike in 2015. It would have saved me a lot of money! But I think I believed then that I still had the 2-wheel in me. Recently, my son started riding and it made me realize that I was not as confident as before on a 2-wheel.
    Thanks for the "Back-Story".
    So this isn't a "Summer Fling": it's a real long-term love affair!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Between Montreal and Toronto, that's a bit vague.
    I know it's complicated. Nothing is simple! My office is in TO, I live between Toronto and Kingston and I visit Montreal frequently as this is where I was born and grew up. So that gives me a lot of options for buying and servicing my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    joining in NOV 2008 and still without a spyder??????? will you ever make the change, switch, feel time to go from 2 wheels to 3? maybe MORE time will tell!! I also liked them when first came out, I was drooling........until March 2017, and bought used 2015 RTL with 224 miles on March 15, 2017. matter of about 13 days of looking and thinking
    An example of the polar opposite in relation to the OP. We started the first conversation about me getting a Spyder last Saturday over lunch. By yesterday (Wednesday), it was in our garage

The internet really allows you to get a lot of information from many sources quickly, allowing for an informed decision much faster than the old days...
    Last edited by BoxyLady; 05-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    We started the first conversation about me getting a Spyder last Saturday over lunch. By yesterday (Wednesday), it was in our garage
    Now that I have decided, I would like things to move as quickly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Now that I have decided, I would like things to move as quickly.
    Allons-y
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Allons-y
    Good on you, your French is up to date!

I test rode the F3 Daytona today. I thought I would prefer the F3...but I don't. I like the low center of gravity, it allows more graceful turns! The handlebar on the Daytona is too wide. It emphasizes every little input / pressure on the grips. Easier to make the bike feel unstable. The forward peg position forces your legs to open up more.

So generally I prefer the seating position of the RT. I need to determine whether the u-fit system could allow me to replicate somewhat on the F3 the seating position of the RT.

One of the reasons I wanted to like the F3 is the price and the fact that it doesn't have as many gadgets, for example the audio system. I think there are too many distractions on the RT. Specially with BRP connect on the 2018.

F3-For

Price
    Low center of gravity, even more in corners, 90-degree turns
    No gadgets, no toys for distraction
    More opportunity to farkle

F3-Against

Seating position (maybe can me mitigated with u-fit, maybe adding floorboards)

RT-For

Seating position
    More comfortable, better wind protection, I like the power windshield

RT-Against

Price
    Higher center of gravity, not as nimble for 90-degree turns

Anyone has comments or advice?

Once again, thanks

JG