Spyder Garage

Default Hello everyone, slightly new 2012 RS Sm5 ryder

Good afternoon, evening, and hows everyone today? I hope everyone is doing well, I have been ryding my spyder for almost a year now, bought a black 2012 RS Sm5 used with 1150 miles. This is a great system, due to an old accident riding most bikes with forward controls are painful, and with 2 wheels the risk of my leg going out means dropping the bike certainly a no go for me. I've put about 8800 miles on it so far, and plan to do some real work in a couple of years, I was wondering has anyone put the tri axis adjustable handle bars on an RS Sm5 roadster before? Just curios id like to use the mounting system for the Ram Mounts that fit these bars, and wire it up with the help of my local mechanic from Synister Cycles in AZ. I was trying to find a way to power a phone/gps on the RS but it seems to be a bit tricky lol, any insight on this or if they fit would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

and on your ryde.

Cannot help with the information you requested--but others will be able to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for the welcome, and by the way the Do's and Dont's for spyder riders is a fantastic read, had i not seen that post I would never have known and constantly have been worried about the high revving motor on this bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! I know you can put the RT bars on an ST but don’t know if they work on an RS
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Welcome! I know you can put the RT bars on an ST but don’t know if they work on an RS
    But of course they do Ann, as long as they are 2013 and newer. I'm sure others will chime in on options for the 2012 and below.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you both

Thank you Ann and Igetaround, I appreciate it hopefully I can fiend a good upgrade or possible bars like renthals which can help a bit, but also has anyone found a way to power a phone on the RS I was thinking of running the trickle charge usb from under the seat with the usb cable up to the phone. Although I will see if a usb can be attached like the one from Lamonstergarage to the front fairing, this would also be a nice option.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender usb port phone charger

Has anyone tried to attach this to the battery tender port under the rs sm5 seat by chance? I was going to try attaching one of these and get the flat cable for an i phone that about 3-6 ft long, running it up from under the seat to the phone attached to the xgrip ram mount. I have on the handle bar...this could work lol but hoping someone has tried this before.

https://www.grainger.com/product/19X...180511184041:s

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 GS. I installed two powerlet outlets in the instrument cluster panel; one left and one right. One is powered all the time, and the other only when the ignition is turned on. I sometimes use a usb mini plug in for phone charging, at other times I use the powerlet outlet for a gps. The powerlet that is energized at all times is used mostly for a battery tender/charger. I have installed an Eastern Beaver fuse/terminal block, under the Y panel, and is connected to the powerlets, and other items. It may be an overkill for what you want.

In case you are not familiar:
    http://www.powerlet.com

This is the type of thing that was done early on with the spyders.

As for mounting a phone, you may be able to install a RAM ball mount on the right handle bar. On the early GS/RS, there was a small covering next to the throttle. I don't know if that was not there on newer RS models. I actually have 4 RAM ball mounts on my spyder.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Smile Thank you wyliec

Thank you for the info, ill look into that as well, i have a ram ball that is stuck to the right side handlebar replacing the 2 screws on the housing of the throttle, i wish i could have 4 of them that would be awesome. Im mainly trying to get just my phone or a single GPS done, I will look at the powerlet and see if my local mechanic can do a custom job to place it in the dash for me if possible using the low profile socket kits, these are great thank you again. I think the ones that are active when i turn on the bike would be more effective, that way i dont have to worry about something i leave stuck to the bike by accident if i get distracted at least for now.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the insight on powerlet

I appreciate you leading me to the powerlet site, I’m going to buy the low profile panel socket/outlet kit just curious if the computer is in the front how long of a kit did you buy? I’m looking at either the 4’ or 6’ wiring kit just in case more is needed rather than less, I’ll definitely look st the eastern beaver fuse/terminal block just in case but I think with just one outlet I should be ok, not much power to charge a single phone or gps or both.

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have a 2008 GS. I installed two powerlet outlets in the instrument cluster panel; one left and one right. One is powered all the time, and the other only when the ignition is turned on. I sometimes use a usb mini plug in for phone charging, at other times I use the powerlet outlet for a gps. The powerlet that is energized at all times is used mostly for a battery tender/charger. I have installed an Eastern Beaver fuse/terminal block, under the Y panel, and is connected to the powerlets, and other items. It may be an overkill for what you want.

In case you are not familiar:
    http://www.powerlet.com

This is the type of thing that was done early on with the spyders.

As for mounting a phone, you may be able to install a RAM ball mount on the right handle bar. On the early GS/RS, there was a small covering next to the throttle. I don't know if that was not there on newer RS models. I actually have 4 RAM ball mounts on my spyder.