Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radar detector

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Peter Aawen will know what he's talking about because in my experience most Aussie police have no tolerance at all for speeding, never known a country be so hot on it as there. Kiwi cops are often a bit more tolerant - but then we have worse drivers to contend with so fairs fair.

No radar detector is going to do any good if your regularly doing silly speeds, but as reminder to mind your manners they work well.
    In most Australian states, the road traffic authority is addicted to the income from speeding motorists. If every driver/rider stuck to the speed limits ie no speeding fines, taxes would spiral up in a heartbeat.

Spyder Garage

Do any vendors here on SL sell brackets or shelves to put radar detectors on pre made? for a 2014 RT? Got a Uniden after catching a 17 over trying to catch up to my buddy on a K1600 in Bandera, and though they let me keep it off my record, since it was the first ticket in 22 years, I'd like to avoid another.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    Do any vendors here on SL sell brackets or shelves to put radar detectors on pre made? for a 2014 RT? Got a Uniden after catching a 17 over trying to catch up to my buddy on a K1600 in Bandera, and though they let me keep it off my record, since it was the first ticket in 22 years, I'd like to avoid another.
    I was an LEO ( 15 yrs ago ) .... 15 years before I retired " LAZAR " was discovered / invented ..... the Dept. stopped using Radar.... it became a " dinosaur " immediately .... Lazar works using a beam of light, aim it, pull the trigger and it's instantaneous .... I still don't think they have designed a device that can detect it....so IMHO a Radar detector won't save you ...... goodluck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Everyone should obey the speed limit, but there are some roads that just seem to tempt me to have some fun.
    In Arizona only the snowbirds try to obey the speed limit! It is are duty each winter to attempt to slow down traffic here, and each winter we fail. Speeding is a right of passage here.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I was a WI state trooper for 25 years. Trained in radar, laser and VASCAR. As stated above, laser basically cant be beat. At a 1000 yards, it's beam is 3' wide and super micro thin. A Spyder has plenty of frontal area to be effective. VASCAR uses no electronic signal. Modern day radar can still be detected, but if you're the initial (first) target, it's too late for your detector. That said, if you're not first, you still might have a chance

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

On what we call the Thruway in NYS, when I'm not paying too much attention to the speed limit, I've got my get out of jail free pass. The NYS Troopers patrol that area, and my son-in-law gives me a NYS Trooper card each year, free.

Oooops, I thought I was responding to the first post, and didn't notice the date of restart.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    On what we call the Thruway in NYS, when I'm not paying too much attention to the speed limit, I've got my get out of jail free pass. The NYS Troopers patrol that area, and my son-in-law gives me a NYS Trooper card each year, free.

Oooops, I thought I was responding to the first post, and didn't notice the date of restart.
    We use to ride our 650SR Kawasaki with a King County Sheriff deputy. I once said, Dick we need to slow down a bit, we will get a ticket. He said no worry Chris and flipped his wallet open, and there was his professional courtesy badge!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Yeah .. That can wear out really fast. I certainly wouldn't depend on it...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Just to let you know, if I would stop you and you had a radar detector mounted upfront we might go from a warning to a citation. And in some states it is illegal. So set your cruise out 8 miles over and you won’t have a problem.

Spyder Garage

Back when I worked midnight shifts, it was easy to spot radar detectors on the dash. I'd creep up and blip my radar off/on. Brake lights on.. Then wait a bit and do it over again. Eventually I'd pass them with my radar on. Even more fun with a VASCAR, as I'd just activate the radar when I was ready to turn on my lights

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are a few places in the open desert where I have done speed bursts, but my last citation was 1976, for 65 in a 55 when the nationwide 55 speed limit was imposed.
    On my way to church at previously normal speed. Unfortunate that the CHP were then tasked with political enforcement.
    Generally, I am within ~10 MPH of the speed limit...or I may pace someone who passed me, at let them break radar.
    Never had a radar detector.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I use the Waze app on my phone and while its not a radar detector it lets me know of any reason I might need to slow down or change route.Its not much good in rural areas where there is so little traffic that no one bothers to report anything ,but I dont see a lot of speed traps setup in the middle of nowhere.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I had a switch in my cruiser that would turn one of the headlights off while I was setting. Sometimes you just got outsmart them.

Spyder Garage

What works for me is to find a jammer car. I’ll sit in the outside lane and wait for somebody to come through with great speed and then I’ll pull in behind them about a half a mile. Gives me time enough to slow down if they get caught.