GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Any F3's with CB's Installed

Has anybody installed a CB on the F3? Not really interested in a hand held that is simply "used" ... I am looking for a mounted unit with a good antenna and, likely, blue tooth to route to the helmet.

If on a 2018: Were you able to use the built in blue tooth to "integrate" the CB communication with the Spyder. I know J & M makes a blue tooth interface module that allows pairing the CB as a headset (this is what was done on my husband's Indian).

If on a 2017: Did you / Can you add a blue tooth dongle and then "integrate" the CB communication with the Spyder (as above, also using a blue tooth interface to the CB and dongle).

I am at a crossroads .. have some mighty good offers from BRP and am toying with getting an F3 Limited. But, a CB is simply a requirement for communication with hubby and also the group we normally ride with. So ... looking for anyone with real experience in CB implementation on the F3.

Many thanks .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Has anybody installed a CB on the F3? Not really interested in a hand held that is simply "used" ... I am looking for a mounted unit with a good antenna and, likely, blue tooth to route to the helmet.

If on a 2018: Were you able to use the built in blue tooth to "integrate" the CB communication with the Spyder. I know J & M makes a blue tooth interface module that allows pairing the CB as a headset (this is what was done on my husband's Indian).

If on a 2017: Did you / Can you add a blue tooth dongle and then "integrate" the CB communication with the Spyder (as above, also using a blue tooth interface to the CB and dongle).

I am at a crossroads .. have some mighty good offers from BRP and am toying with getting an F3 Limited. But, a CB is simply a requirement for communication with hubby and also the group we normally ride with. So ... looking for anyone with real experience in CB implementation on the F3.

Many thanks .... Ann
    Without being at all demeaning ... this is 2018 so why not use a cell / mobile phone via Bluetooth? ... cheers

Spyder Garage

Interesting timing.

I am installing a J&M CB on my wife's F3T this weekend with Sena Bluetooth headset integration. I do plan to shoot some photos and report back how it works.

She has been using a Midland handheld with the sena Bluetooth module and the integration works fine, the small radio and antenna works but range is severely limited. We are very hopeful the J&M with a J&M 3ft antenna will work far better.

The reason for CB is there is unfortunately no current replacement for group riding. That and every riding club out there has been using CB for 50 yrs. Its not going to change simply because you will not convince all members to buy new hardware. Bluetooth comms units and cellular simply do not work for large groups.

Lastly, BRP has completely dropped the CB option. Its not even available for older Spyders any more other than a few old stock units still unsold. There are not even replacement parts for the units already installed. We have one customer with a dead unit (4th one over the years) on a 2012RT. BRP arranged for the manufacture to take the dead unit and repair and return it. Has taken 4 weeks so far and its not done yet. The BRP integrated system has been a headache for them for years.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 05-09-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking the same thing.
    I haven't even seen a person use a CB in 20 years......except truckers.
    Breaker Breaker good buddy.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    Without being at all demeaning ... this is 2018 so why not use a cell / mobile phone via Bluetooth? ... cheers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post

good idea
    maybe we could get the airlines and cops to get rid of their radios and go to phones?
    Radios allow different ways of communicating with more than one person, than do phones.
    More efficient for multiple communicators.
    Can you imagine trying to talk to 3, 4 or more on a group ride and have to call each one, then call them back then some of them would need to call each other and so on. Then, because some would be talking you'd have to leave a message and because you were on the phone when they called you back they'd leave a message. With each having a radio on the same frequency they'd all hear the same thing at one time and reply when they could get the mike keyed.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    good idea
    maybe we could get the airlines and cops to get rid of their radios and go to phones?
    Radios allow different ways of communicating with more than one person, than do phones.
    Can you imagine trying to talk to 3, 4 or more on a group ride and have to call each one, then call them back then some of them would need to call each other and so on. Then, because some would be talking you'd have to leave a message and because you were on the phone when they called you back they'd leave a message. With each having a radio on the same frequency they'd all hear the same thing at one time and reply when they could get the mike keyed.
    I understand the phone thing is not the way to go, but you do realize sena 20s can talk to 8 people at once and the 3k can do up to 16? I still see the possible need for some to also have a CB. The best is both for an almost endless option in communication like jcthrone is doing. The CB is not the end all be all and neither is bluetooth.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I did this with my Ham Radio on my RS:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...am-or-CB-Radio

You could put a mobile CB radio in place of the Ham Radio, not much difference in the connections. I don't know about the differences between the RS/ST/RT frunks vs. the F3.

PM me if you want to try something like this and have any questions.

Charles WA5VHU
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

good idea
    Can you conference call on a mobile / cell the same way you can on a land line .. dunno just asking ... that'd solve these problems here nip them in the bud straight away ..

" With each having a radio on the same frequency they'd all hear the same thing at one time and reply when they could get the mike keyed " ... you can do this now with some variants of Bluetooth for up to a couple of miles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I did this with my Ham Radio on my RS:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...am-or-CB-Radio

You could put a mobile CB radio in place of the Ham Radio, not much difference in the connections. I don't know about the differences between the RS/ST/RT frunks vs. the F3.

PM me if you want to try something like this and have any questions.

Charles WA5VHU
    Just trying to clarify what you are describing as 'HAM Radio'? ....

'Ham radio' as I understand it has traditionally been used by ammeture HF radio operators who have to be licenced .... Generally for the area they are using lower end of the frequency spectrum and so have greater length antenna to 'work' within those designated frequencies.

27 Mhz (CB) on the other end of the band have a much lesser or shorter length of antenna ... so how are you going to get these to extremes to work together ... ?

I genuinely ask ... ?

I say again ... I ask as genuine question not as a BS response to the previous post ... Or am I just misinterpreting everything you are suggesting ?
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-10-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've had J&M CB radios for 9 years, so they are the hard wired stuff. I installed a Midland handheld with the adapter for "mobile" use. Hardwired to a J&M plug to use my J&M headsets, but with a No Fround Plane antenna. The J&M antennas could not be tuned and were running SWR of 2.5 to 3: not good for range. The NGP antenna was tuned into the 1.4 to 1.9 range over the 40 channels. We recently reevaluated our comm needs and have changed to Sena 30K units. On my 2-wheeler I have wired in the Freewire, to use the H-D Boom aydio and CB, unit but don't have experience with it yet. So far we like the 30K.

CB radio on a motorcycle will always have reduced distance but the NGP antenna really makes a difference.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 05-10-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CB Install Questions

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Interesting timing.

I am installing a J&M CB on my wife's F3T this weekend with Sena Bluetooth headset integration. I do plan to shoot some photos and report back how it works.

She has been using a Midland handheld with the sena Bluetooth module and the integration works fine, the small radio and antenna works but range is severely limited. We are very hopeful the J&M with a J&M 3ft antenna will work far better.
    What year is your wife's F3T? If prior to 2018, does it have built in blue tooth capability or is that what the Sena module provides? I am really curious about the Bluetooth integration because we have a unique setup on my husband's Indian, as follows:
    • Indian has built in Bluetooth -- you can pair either a driver device (like a phone) or a headset
    • J & M CB with handlebar mount for an Indian Chieftan (he has a Roadmaster) -- JMCB-2003 unit
    • J & M Bluetooth interface module (JMDM-IPBT-JCB03), this provides a WIRED connection for the headset.
    • The JMDM interface is paired to the Indian as a headset; so all the input from the radio / GPS / phone / etc flows through to the speakers in the helmet. The only downside is the loss of digital volume control for the radio / phone … it is now controlled by the wheel on top of the CB itself.

So, I am very curious to know how the Sena unit plays into hooking the J&M CB up on the Spyder. Does it allow all the audio inputs from the Spyder to flow to the helmet speakers (which I presume are Bluetooth)? If so, can you turn the external speakers off (like you can on the RT)? Also curious to see how you mount the antenna and CB , as well as any challenges you face in grounding the CB itself and the antenna.

Thank you for your response, I look forward to more details when you have time to post them …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

The Sena SR10 CB radio interface module allows the Sena Bluetooth headsets to be interfaced to the J&M (or other CB) rather than wired headsets. The J&M does have an aux audio input that could be used for bringing in the bike radio but we have no intention to do so.

Music in the sena headsets is much easier achieved and higher quality sound by just connecting a phone to the headset also by Bluetooth. The Sena 20S headset even multitasks between the two as well as Sena Bluetooth intercom to other headsets at the same time.

Spyders prior to 2018 have no Bluetooth link built in. Sena makes a Bluetooth transmitter for them and there are third party Bluetooth receivers to bring audio into the factory system. (Lamont sells such a device). We do not intend to integrate the Spyder system with either the CB or the Bluetooth headsets. Keeping the music separate as that is my wife's preference. On my own bike I would choose differently but I have no need for a CB like she does. She is a road captain for our local Southern Cruisers Riding Club chapter.

I hope I answered your question. I should be able to provide additional information on the system over the weekend after I have some hands on time installing it tomorrow.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just a bit of an update. Things are going well, I just ran out of time last night. The CB is installed and all cabled up. We did a prelim test this morning from the bike to a handheld CB to test and its working fine using the SENA headset. I need to get the bike back together and I need to order a few small parts to make the install prettier but its functional. Still plan to post some pics and a bit of technical info that is required to marry the J&M to SENA.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you are inviting people to listen in to your conversation.
    CBs were good back in the non-cell phone days but since then.......
    When we do group rides there are enough nerds present who have a "gizmo" attached to their helmets and are linked.

I'll stick to hand gestors, they work 100% of the time and don't need "Bluetooth".
    1. Pointing to tank (need gas)
    2. talking with your hand (directional left on)
    3. Pointing to your pecker (need to pee)
    4. Pointing at food sign (hungry)
    5. Nodding (yes)
    6. Shaking head (no)
    7. Pointing at exit sign (getting off)
    8. Add yours here.............................................. ..

good idea

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    But you are inviting people to listen in to your conversation.
    CBs were good back in the non-cell phone days but since then.......
    When we do group rides there are enough nerds present who have a "gizmo" attached to their helmets and are linked.

I'll stick to hand gestors, they work 100% of the time and don't need "Bluetooth".
    1. Pointing to tank (need gas)
    2. talking with your hand (directional left on)
    3. Pointing to your pecker (need to pee)
    4. Pointing at food sign (hungry)
    5. Nodding (yes)
    6. Shaking head (no)
    7. Pointing at exit sign (getting off)
    8. Add yours here.............................................. ..
    None of that works in a group of 20 were you cannot even see the last few riders much less figure out looking in your rear view mirror that one of them mid way back is pointing at his pecker. No, not real useful. CB has a lot of downfalls due to its ancient AM technology but it does have distance due to the power levels it allows and its a common denominator that MANY already have. There is simply no way you are going to convince dozens of members in a riding club to toss their working CB and spend hundreds per person on new proprietary equipment that will be out dated and need replacing within 2 yrs. Nope, BT works great in pairs or small groups that ride together a lot. Pretty useless for clubs and larger groups. No one has come out with a viable replacement yet...so the ancient but working solution marches on. And I hate CB radio.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Last update. Tested and works GREAT. great range, clairity and ease of use.

I will start a new thread with photos, information on doing this yourself. Heck, perhaps one of our fine vendors will pick this up and turn it into a ready to install kit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good points.
    If I was going to use any system I would bet on a CB.
    I prefer using my hand because its foolproof but as you mention in large group rides it fails miserably.
    Even with the fancy gadgetry some members have we rely on self reliance because these gadgets have failed.
    Most of my rides are with less then 6 bikes so we just discuss gas, route, food etc and off we go.

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    None of that works in a group of 20 were you cannot even see the last few riders much less figure out looking in your rear view mirror that one of them mid way back is pointing at his pecker. No, not real useful. CB has a lot of downfalls due to its ancient AM technology but it does have distance due to the power levels it allows and its a common denominator that MANY already have. There is simply no way you are going to convince dozens of members in a riding club to toss their working CB and spend hundreds per person on new proprietary equipment that will be out dated and need replacing within 2 yrs. Nope, BT works great in pairs or small groups that ride together a lot. Pretty useless for clubs and larger groups. No one has come out with a viable replacement yet...so the ancient but working solution marches on. And I hate CB radio.