Thread: Skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Skid plate

Is there a video on installing a bump skid plate?

Thanks Larry

Spyder Garage

They come with easy to understand instructions. Just make sure to follow them and drill threw the frame where instructed. Most of the holes you drill will be on the outer edge plastic.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AY has good advice for you. The drilling in tbe frame is a critical step, do not skip it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Bump skid install.

Another thing to be carefull with is when you drill the plastic under the radiators, don't drill deep. It's easy to drill the plastic anyway, just don't push hard and punch into the radiators. There's s quite a bit of clearance behind but it doesn't hurt to go easy. Someone on here learned the hard way and hit the radiator.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

I just installed one on my RT this past Saturday, really easy job. The other posters have hit the important stuff about getting the frame holes right and not hitting the radiator hoses on the applicable front holes.

The instructions were really easy to follow. Basically just pulling off the existing "skid plate" and then reusing the holes to temporarily hold the new one on while you drill the new holes (use a small drill bit to start, make sure you're as centered as possible in the holes, and then finish with a larger drill bit, much less chance of the drill bit walking than using the larger drill bit only). Pull it back off, stick on the clips, screw it on and boom, done! Unless you got the led version, then you've got just a bit more to do.

I already had my rig jacked up from installing the BajaRon sway bar but I think it took at most 30 minutes to do the Bumpskid install, and I wasn't hurrying.

Awesome product too, I already had some scratches on the bottom of it before installing the Bumpskid, no worries now, that thing is built like a tank!

Spyder Garage

Default DRILLING

.I still have the drill that I used on my friends' boat, if you need a hand.....
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    Another thing to be carefull with is when you drill the plastic under the radiators, don't drill deep. It's easy to drill the plastic anyway, just don't push hard and punch into the radiators. There's s quite a bit of clearance behind but it doesn't hurt to go easy. Someone on here learned the hard way and hit the radiator.
    An easy "fix" for this: put a nice large wrapping of tape (Duct-Tape works well...) around the drill-bit at the point where you want to "put on the brakes".
    But you still need to be careful...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black