Spyder Garage

Default Vibration in handles

Yesterday, I did about 400 miles with some friends of mine. I noticed a feint vibration on the handles when I reach about 71 MPH. It stays there until 76 MPH than goes away. It was not the road condition. Did that on any road even perfectly paved highway. The vehicle did not pull either way, just straight. Checked the tire pressure and all have the correct pressure. The bike is about 2 weeks old. So basically, it does that at a specific speed. Should I be concerned? I m due for the first service next week.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a harmonic vibration coming from the drive-belt...
    Contact Doc Humphreys, and he can cure it for you!

https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is a typical symptom of a belt vibrating. We have a pretty neat fix for that and it happens to be on sale. Here is a link for the RT:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12306187359...84.m1555.l2649

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mbenazeraf View Post
    So basically, it does that at a specific speed. Should I be concerned? I m due for the first service next week.
    You probably should not be too concerned......unless it bothers you enough that you "can't live with it".....because it probably is caused by drive belt vibration, which is pretty common.

You definitely should mention it at your service appointment because it could be something else or the tension on the belt might not be right.

If it persists after that, there are idler/tensioner kits available from a couple of sources to "fix" the problem.
    Several threads about that exist on here.
    I would think that a search for "belt" or "vibration" would find them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday, I did about 400 miles with some friends of mine. I noticed a feint vibration on the handles when I reach about 71 MPH. It stays there until 76 MPH than goes away. It was not the road condition. Did that on any road even perfectly paved highway. The vehicle did not pull either way, just straight. Checked the tire pressure and all have the correct pressure. The bike is about 2 weeks old. So basically, it does that at a specific speed. Should I be concerned? I m due for the first service next week.
    That is a perfectly normal and harmless harmonic vibration from the drive belt. Nothing to be concerned about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You probably should not be too concerned......unless it bothers you enough that you "can't live with it".....because it probably is caused by drive belt vibration, which is pretty common.

You definitely should mention it at your service appointment because it could be something else or the tension on the belt might not be right.

If it persists after that, there are idler/tensioner kits available from a couple of sources to "fix" the problem.
    Several threads about that exist on here.
    I would think that a search for "belt" or "vibration" would find them.
    I will bring it up to the dealer but it's a shame that we have to spend more money for an after market kit to correct something that BRP should have done before putting those bikes out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will bring it up to the dealer but it's a shame that we have to spend more money for an after market kit to correct something that BRP should have done before putting those bikes out.
    There's nothing to 'correct'. It's normal for a belt drive and doesn't affect the performance any.

You should be aware that the dealer will want to install the OEM vibration damper, which is not as good as the aftermarket ones.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You should be aware that the dealer will want to install the OEM vibration damper, which is not as good as the aftermarket ones.
    Doc's dual-bearing setup is vastly superior!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There's nothing to 'correct'. It's normal for a belt drive and doesn't affect the performance any.
    +1

Spyder Garage

Default Absorbers

I don't remember where I got them but I bought weights that go on the handle bar tips that is supposed to help with the vibration.

Spyder Garage

This may not have anything to do with your "faint vibration" issue, but on our '14 I had a faint vibration in my handle bars at anything above 50mph. What I found was a blemish/bubble on the inside sidewall of the rt. front tire (factory Kenda)and it would put my hands to sleep. You could barely see this blemish while riding down the road. The wheel would run true and you would look at the tire sidewall and it had a "bump" on it. Dealer would not replace it, so I lived with it until they wore out. I have none of the "vibrations" at speed that some people have unless I lugged the motor(short shifted) it, and then it would be barely noticeable. When I replaced the front tires all was good. Don't know if this will help you out, but maybe something else to look for. Mac

Spyder Garage

I saw this other dampener. Has anyone heard heard good, or bad on this one?
    https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...tras?vehicle=1
    2015 White Can AM Spyder RTL
    2015 Black Harley Davidson Road Glide
    1998 Buell S3 Thunderbolt
    2012 Honda NC700XD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    I don't remember where I got them but I bought weights that go on the handle bar tips that is supposed to help with the vibration.
    Those were popular in 2008/09. I had them on both my GS and RS. They helped.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    I had a similar problem with my F3LTD. I then found that my front tyres each had a "flat spot" of up to 3mm, which made the not evenly "round". I replaced the Kendas with car tyres, and problem solved. Running as smooth as.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rohaianan View Post
    I saw this other dampener. Has anyone heard heard good, or bad on this one?
    https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...tras?vehicle=1
    Doc's is better for less money. I would go for it if the vibration is bothersome.