Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default passenger armrests idea

Good Morning, Has anyone ever thought about passenger armrests that have a vertical handle at the front end for the passenger to hold onto, kinda like some upright ab exercise machines. My wife has had 2 spinal fusions and she loves to ride. I was teaching her how to drive last week and I was on the back and I felt how she feels every bump and the jerk from taking off and stopping and realized she needs something to hold onto to prevent slightest jerk. Even taking off slowly or downshifting the driver has a completely different feeling than the passenger. Just like in the car the passenger has a totally different feeling than the driver (just ask your wife). It has changed the way I drive. She cannot afford to have another back surgery. I'm sure there are others out there that this would help. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I noticed that you have the Show Chrome armrests, have you checked out the newly released BRP armrests? They might give her more to grab.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My initial thought is that you had better plan for what might happen if you hit your head on one of them in an accident...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good Morning, Has anyone ever thought about passenger armrests that have a vertical handle at the front end for the passenger to hold onto, kinda like some upright ab exercise machines. My wife has had 2 spinal fusions and she loves to ride. I was teaching her how to drive last week and I was on the back and I felt how she feels every bump and the jerk from taking off and stopping and realized she needs something to hold onto to prevent slightest jerk. Even taking off slowly or downshifting the driver has a completely different feeling than the passenger. Just like in the car the passenger has a totally different feeling than the driver (just ask your wife). It has changed the way I drive. She cannot afford to have another back surgery. I'm sure there are others out there that this would help. Thanks, Mike
    I think you would have to modify yours to accomplish your objectives. Some of the folks on this forum are good at working with metal and could probably give you some ideas of how to go about doing that. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has had 2 spinal fusions and she loves to ride. I was teaching her how to drive last week and I was on the back and I felt how she feels every bump and the jerk from taking off and stopping and realized she needs something to hold onto to prevent slightest jerk. Even taking off slowly or downshifting the driver has a completely different feeling than the passenger. Just like in the car the passenger has a totally different feeling than the driver (just ask your wife). It has changed the way I drive. She cannot afford to have another back surgery. I'm sure there are others out there that this would help. Thanks, Mike
    Thinking outside the box here.

Instead of vertical grab bars mounted on arm rests, why not get rid of the arm rests and just hold the horizontal grab bars on the RT?

Might be able to modify a standard car seat belt and harness for the passenger...

Sew some straps onto the back of your jacket for her to hold onto?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think she needs something in front of her (like the handlebars are for the driver) to brace her forward and backward. I've had some back problems (in fact I'm seeing the back Dr tomorrow to see if I need surgery) and I know that something in front of me made me more comfortable. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think she needs something in front of her (like the handlebars are for the driver) to brace her forward and backward. I've had some back problems (in fact I'm seeing the back Dr tomorrow to see if I need surgery) and I know that something in front of me made me more comfortable. Thanks, Mike
    How about a bracket attached to the driver backrest?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some flat 1/4 steel plate the extends from the passenger armrests forward, then a vertical 1 inch tube with foam grips should work. Simply attach the plate under the armrest pad where the 2 screws are. Should be simple to make. If you find some 7/8 tubing you could add a nice set of kuryakyn ISO grips.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Mine Too

We have a 2013 RTL , my wife has had the same surgeries,she loves the support the seat gives her. That was one of my worries also. We are having the BRP armrests installed as we speak. My wife has never told me that her ride in the back is unstable or any other complaints, about the only thing i hear from her is I wished you would have told me you were going to do that so she could hang on to the oh shoot bars. It will be interesting to see how the armrests hinder access to the passenger grab bars.
    Does your wife have any problems getting on or off, my wife has to use driver foot boards as she has trouble getting on using her foot rests other than that he has not let me know.

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    We have a 2013 RTL , my wife has had the same surgeries,she loves the support the seat gives her. That was one of my worries also. We are having the BRP armrests installed as we speak. My wife has never told me that her ride in the back is unstable or any other complaints, about the only thing i hear from her is I wished you would have told me you were going to do that so she could hang on to the oh shoot bars. It will be interesting to see how the armrests hinder access to the passenger grab bars.
    Does your wife have any problems getting on or off, my wife has to use driver foot boards as she has trouble getting on using her foot rests other than that he has not let me know.

Dave
    She has a little trouble getting on and off. Her bottom 6 vertebrae are fused together so she cannot afford any more. When I rode on the back with her driving slow in a parking lot I noticed the jerking alot more in the rear than the front from stopping, starting and shifting. Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Why not do something like you have sort of halfway already said there .. why not have some type of handlebar set up on from the rear of your backrest / support ... just something easily custom made so the little lovelly doesn't get tired holding onto them ... adjust the length of each of the side areas where gripping to her satisfaction ... Only problem I could foresee is her getting on and off ... but try this for a starter .. (Just a quick edit ... we have similar issues where as my little lovely has had MS for 35 or more years and also has those balance problems ... also bare in mind I am 99% sure its illegal anywhere to strap your pillion in with any type of seat belt arrangement ... that needs checking though as I could be wrong with you guys in the States)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-11-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, still thinkin and looking, Just wanna make her as comfortable as possible.

Has anyone else rode on the back to see the difference and while you are there think how it would be if you had a serious back problem. I know we all have some type of problem but 6 vertebra fussed is pretty serious. She's fine but we cannot afford another surgery. I don't think she will ever be the driver as it takes too much to turn at stop/slow speeds and I wouldn't want to push her back. Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Having just installed the BRP RT Arm Rests and asking my wife to envision this issue, she said the Brp armrests have a nice grip contour to them, (the front underside of the armrests have a recessed area where she's able to grab kinda like when she could grab my love handles....). I installed them and not only do they mount with several bolts (versus the original screws), they tie into the RT's backrest and it's mounting bolts. I've really manhandled them and I'm 250lbs and they're very sturdy. But flip them up out of the way and easy on, easy off. You might just find a local or a dealer that has them already installed and have her give them a try.

My wife is absolutely sold on them, and she's tried almost all the other swinging versions before the BRP ones.

she also said, it was nice that she could flip up one or both sides and still grab the Heated passenger grab handles to warm her hands if need be.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ARM-REST ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Having just installed the BRP RT Arm Rests and asking my wife to envision this issue, she said the Brp armrests have a nice grip contour to them, (the front underside of the armrests have a recessed area where she's able to grab kinda like when she could grab my love handles....). I installed them and not only do they mount with several bolts (versus the original screws), they tie into the RT's backrest and it's mounting bolts. I've really manhandled them and I'm 250lbs and they're very sturdy. But flip them up out of the way and easy on, easy off. You might just find a local or a dealer that has them already installed and have her give them a try.

My wife is absolutely sold on them, and she's tried almost all the other swinging versions before the BRP ones.

she also said, it was nice that she could flip up one or both sides and still grab the Heated passenger grab handles to warm her hands if need be.
    Sounds great - however I think the OP was concerned about the passenger going forward during HARD Braking .... I seriously doubt your wife's grip will be strong enough to prevent that ..... I doubt very , very much that a 1/4 " thick steel plate is necessary to accomplish a mounting platform ..........jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I noticed that you have the Show Chrome armrests, have you checked out the newly released BRP armrests? They might give her more to grab.
    I believe the Show Chrome armrests are mounted to the body plastic, not to any substantial metal part. They won't take much more stress than what they are designed for (resting the arms).

Anything designed to provide bracing for the passenger is going to have to be mounted more securely. I understand the BRP armrests are.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I just wish that BRP made them in brown to match my seat.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

What I was thinking about was the upright hand grips at the top of this exercise machine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Have you seen the Slingshot? Perhaps you and your lady should give it a test drive.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My girlfriends have always grabbed ME for support.
    Sort of a win-win proposition.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Grab Bars

How about a bicycle handlebar cut in half and bolted to the bottom of the arm rests. Or perhaps the bars off of an old Subaru Brat rear seat?
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She's still going to need to be able to mount and dismount the Spyder. You can't bolt something in place that is going to hamper her in this regard....

Spyder Garage

This might seem slightly askew of the direction you were going BUT ... here goes.

Like your wife, I have a horrible neck, more metal than bone. Riding on two, three or four wheels was uncomfortable at best. Yes being the driver provided a different sensation but it was all negative. In fact it stopped me from riding completely. I hated it so much that I have a device that in the final stages of patent at the moment. Think HANS device without the large carbon fiber harness tether.

My device is like the HANS in that it does make a mechanical connection that reduces / stops unwanted motion. My device is very light-weight, unobtrusive and provides the stability that so many head / neck trauma people need. It has been independently evaluated and will have major industry safety standard certification prior to availability on the market. I have been wearing it for about a year in its current configuration.

If it is something that you / your wife would be interested in, just PM me. I can provide more details, trial info, public availability.

Dave
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1407149]She's still going to need to be able to mount and dismount the Spyder. You can't bolt something in place that is going to hamper her in this regard.

If the handle bar grip was mounted underneath the arm rest it would pivot up with the arm rest. Try it, it'll work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Revalden;1408321]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    She's still going to need to be able to mount and dismount the Spyder. You can't bolt something in place that is going to hamper her in this regard.

If the handle bar grip was mounted underneath the arm rest it would pivot up with the arm rest. Try it, it'll work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1408324]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    What was I supposed to see in that link?