Spyder Garage

Default Need recomendations on a Windscreen for my new F3L

I just recently converted from a 2015 RTS to a 2017 F3L. The windscreen on the F3L isn't much of one, as I get a lot of air buffering. I guess I was spoiled with the adjusting windscreen on my RTS. When I do purchase a windscreen for my F3L I want to be able to look over the screen, not through it. I stand 6'2" tall. I have looked at F4 windscreens but just think they may be to tall that I will be looking through the screen and not over it. Anybody with experience and like to comment , please do. I have also looked at Show Chrome touring windscreen on Ebay for the F3L which says its 12.5 inches taller and 9 inches wider than stock screen. Has anybody purchased a screen from Show Chrome? All comments welcome.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I have a 23 inch F4 on my 2016 F3T. I am also 6'2" and look over the top of it with no problems. If you get the 25 inch it may be in your line of sight . I have had mine for over a year now and it is perfect for me .
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Default 5'11" - Using Madstad 22"

Hi,

I'm 5'11" and i'm using the MadStad 22".

What I like about this one is that we can adjust it on height and angle. After a few ride testing different setup, I finally got what is best for me.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

I have the 25" F-4 Customs clear windshield with the vent and love it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have the 25" F-4 Customs clear windshield with the vent and love it.

Cruzr Joe

You are looking through the screen, not over the top if it. Right?

Spyder Garage

Have a chat to Don from F4 regarding their screen sizes. If that is your only issue I’m sure he’ll have a solution. I like the F4 for its coverage and ease of cleaning with water and paper towels. I have a 25” on my F3-L and look over the top and find it brilliant.
    I also have a Madstad, and as a previous poster wrote, it has the ability to be adjusted up and down and angled by a few inches which is a great feature. I just don’t like it’s coverage as much as the F4.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi,

I'm 5'11" and i'm using the MadStad 22".

What I like about this one is that we can adjust it on height and angle. After a few ride testing different setup, I finally got what is best for me.

About how much adjustment height wise do you have from the lowest setting to the highest setting?

Spyder Garage

I am 6'1" and I have a 22" CalSci shield which I look over. It's good quality and has a vent, and eliminates most of the buffeting. To get rid of all of the air on your helmet, you may need to look through the shield.

Neil

https://calsci.com/
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome for F3T

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I just recently converted from a 2015 RTS to a 2017 F3L. The windscreen on the F3L isn't much of one, as I get a lot of air buffering. I guess I was spoiled with the adjusting windscreen on my RTS. When I do purchase a windscreen for my F3L I want to be able to look over the screen, not through it. I stand 6'2" tall. I have looked at F4 windscreens but just think they may be to tall that I will be looking through the screen and not over it. Anybody with experience and like to comment , please do. I have also looked at Show Chrome touring windscreen on Ebay for the F3L which says its 12.5 inches taller and 9 inches wider than stock screen. Has anybody purchased a screen from Show Chrome? All comments welcome.
    I converted to Spyders last year after riding 2 wheels since the 70s. I originally replaced the stock windshield on my 17 F3T with the Tall Boy version but still wanted more wind protection. I then ordered the Show Chrome windshield from Lamonster and love it. I am 5'11" and look over the top and enjoy the greater wind protection it provides. YES there are more expensive windshields out there but this serves my needs perfectly. RYDE SAFE!

Rick & Kathy
    currently Henderson County NC from Ellis County TX
    2021 RTL
    2017 F3T , silver black

Spyder Garage

You are looking through the screen, not over the top if it. Right?

Yes

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Wind screen

I have the Show Chrome touring screen. Am also 6.2. If I sit straight I look over the screen. If I slouch at all I look thru it. Very clear so no big deal. I do like that it is much wider than most. Good hand and arm protection.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am 5’11” but my Russell Day Long saddle sits me nearly 2” taller than the stock seat, I would have bought a 21” F4 during Spyderfest but I didn’t have the stock windshield brackets on, so they will be shipping one to me. I will be looking over it-which to me is the only way to have it.

I had swapped the stock one out for the BRP midheight tall boy and it was fine until I changed saddles. You might want to try one of them, I happen to know someone with one for sale.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Perhaps I can offer some comments, or thoughts, more so than recommendations..... I, too, ride a 2017 F3L. I'm 5' 10-1/2". I have used 3 different shields and am about to try my 4th variation. I prefer to see over my shield rather than look through it, but also like to have much of the air moved above my helmet (and my passenger's) and to avoid most of the buffeting.

I began with the short stock shield with the 'flip'. Since none of my previous three bikes, all years ago, ever had a shield, riding in the full open air was all I had ever known or experienced on a motorcycle. It was somewhat expected that I simply took what the breeze brought. My lady, being a good sport, was likewise accustomed to wind in her face. We tolerated the 'flip' shield, but both of us felt that our ageing bodies deserved a little more comfort. I purchased a 23" lightly tinted F4 shield from Don. It was a real pleasure going off for a ryde following the switch-over. The F4 screen was much broader as well as taller and pleasantly quiet to ryde behind. It very effectively eliminated any buffeting. I likely would have stayed with it but for the fact that my BRP trailering cover, also used daily as an outdoor cover, would no longer properly fit because of the taller, broader expanse of the F4 shield. So I moved on to try a BRP 'Tall Boy', thinking I wanted the option of continuing to use the trailering cover.

Upon reflection, if I had to choose an F4 shield again, which my wife and I really did enjoy for its riding comfort, I would go with a 21" and clear screen rather than tinted. This is simply personal preference. At 23", I found myself seeing over the screen when looking down the road, but through the screen when viewing within 70' or so in front. I didn't like the 'split view' experience. At 5' 10", and preferring to see over, the 21" would have been a better fit. The light tint screen was OK, but I'd rather a clear one next time around. Overall, the F4 is great. I have seen what I believe was a Cal Sci shield on a friend's F3L and he had similar positive comments; he's about my height and his shield was close to the same dimensions as mine, seeming to produce similar results. However, his shield would likewise have meant that my BRP cover wouldn't fit. I did briefly give consideration to a Madstad shield about 21", as mentioned by MagYukon, above; I believe it likely would have given a good result for us, as well as allowing continued use of the BRP cover with its slightly narrower shape. Instead, I wound up trying a used BRP 'Tall Boy' taken from a nearby F3L. Aesthetically speaking, the "Tall Boy' shield has a very pleasing look when mounted on the F3 Spyder; design-wise it's hard to beat.

The 'Tall Boy' pushes most of the air sufficiently above our heads as well as allowing me to see over the shield (in fact, well above it). Because it is narrower than the F4 shield, the wind coming around the sides does catch my arms, and some does come close to the sides of my helmet. My wife is mostly sheltered, but not quite as much as she was behind the F4 shield, where she often rode with her face visor completely open. My sense is that ryding behind the BRP 'Tall Boy' is a noisier ryde than behind the F4. Thus, I'm still looking to improve. So where am I going next?

I have just bought myself an X-creen 'clamp-on' to add to the top of the 'Tall Boy' shield. I also plan to experiment by attaching it to the original stock 'flip' shield. Something tells me that the latter may wind up being my eventual solution - a low, see-over shield that effectively moves most of the air past our heads and upper bodies and gives a sense of peace and quiet when running down the road. If all this doesn't work, I can always simply scrap the BRP cover and revert to an F4 shield - clear and 21", to suit me.

At 6' 2", and wanting to look over your shield, I kind of suspect a 23" F4 shield is a good possibility for you; but talk to Don, and let him guide you. And look over the other possibilities mentioned by others. In the end, a shield (along with its clarity, size and height) is really a 'personal comfort' choice. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-07-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Rocket, Just for info, here’s a comparison photo between the F4 and the Madstad screens. The F4 is wider at the top, has cutouts near the hands and a vent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

About how much adjustment height wise do you have from the lowest setting to the highest setting?
    I would say about 3 to 4 inches.

and the angle play a big role in wind diffusion also.

There's a lot of try and errors, but you can end up with a great configuration for you.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red