Spyder Garage

Default Lower left leg amputee ... (And, what about riding without your prosthetic?)

Hey folks ...

I have been a lower left leg amputee now for a number of years and have occasionally been thinking of riding my F3-T without my prosthetic. So why even consider this you may ask?

I normally only have this 'brain fade' when my residual stump surface plays up and needs to be 'rested', and so I find myself confined to my wheel chair. (which in all honesty is not that often) Coincidentally this is normally when I also find I throw on an old stump liner and semi crawl about the Spyder while doing maintenance for this and that on it.

Then of course when its finished I think .. hmmm ... probably should take it for a bit of 'blatt' to check out what ever it is I've been adjusting, swapping over or playing with.

I have no real problem with riding this way ... Been riding bikes since I was about 14 or so and I'm now 66 .... my ride is a F3-T SE6, so there is no manual gear change requirements either .... 'perfect'. The top section of the removed leg is still there which allows me to 'hug' the tank between my thighs when cornering ... so all is sweet

Just really wondering if anyone else with a lower leg amputation normally rides without their prosthetic .... As an aside I see on both YT and FB where there are quite a number of sites that show folks with amputations of all manner riding with no problems. ... Cheers Greh S

Spyder Garage

why not? have some fun

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tomand View Post
    why not? have some fun
    Can think of a number of oddities to fill the void & cause a double take at a light or something. Depending on your comfort level & humor that is.
    Example have a classic "peg" leg attached to the bike,*** OR
    image.jpegsome other more creative fictional concept from a costume shop say a freakishly alien looking thing
    but secure for road use & while parked should take some tinkering.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it....

If your comfortable with it ... enjoy your Ryde
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A friend of mine is an X racer and two years ago he finished the year in second place. So, don't let your amputation stop you. Do whatever suites you best and enjoy the ride.

Spyder Garage

No right answer here. What you prefer will work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you feel safe and secure, Go for it! Only you know how you feel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Can think of a number of oddities to fill the void & cause a double take at a light or something. Depending on your comfort level & humor that is.
    Example have a classic "peg" leg attached to the bike,*** OR
    image.jpegsome other more creative fictional concept from a costume shop say a freakishly alien looking thing
    but secure for road use & while parked should take some tinkering.
    Like you're thinking ... perhaps a 'costume' leg all gaury and ripped apart showing 'supposed' veins and blood ... (like Rock horror show stuff but way more !)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    A friend of mine is an X racer and two years ago he finished the year in second place. So, don't let your amputation stop you. Do whatever suites you best and enjoy the ride.
    Hey 2 dogs ... I never have and never will ... Makes me laugh all the time ... I often hear 'the little people of innocence' say something like .... 'look at that mans leg', 'funny leg', 'where is that man's leg?' etc ... And I always very politely spin around and find its only ever mum and dad that are feeling awkward about how to answer ... I always just say to the folks as a group, 'my leg got sick so they had to take it away, so you make sure you look after your legs won't you ...!' and with that everyone immediately relaxes ... Hey, if we don't take the time to enlighten our kids about what ever .... what's left ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatenhappy View Post
    Like you're thinking ... perhaps a 'costume' leg all gaury and ripped apart showing 'supposed' veins and blood ... (like Rock horror show stuff but way more !)
    Thx I'd go more cyborg myself, will be waiting to see what you come up with

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yep. I am also Left BKA and have done it. My issue is that I do tend to lean on curves even though I don't have to, so feel much more confident with my leg on so I can put pressure on the floorboards. But it wouldn't take long to stop that if the leg is strapped to the pillion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey 2 dogs ... I never have and never will ... Makes me laugh all the time ... I often hear 'the little people of innocence' say something like .... 'look at that mans leg', 'funny leg', 'where is that man's leg?' etc ... And I always very politely spin around and find its only ever mum and dad that are feeling awkward about how to answer ... I always just say to the folks as a group, 'my leg got sick so they had to take it away, so you make sure you look after your legs won't you ...!' and with that everyone immediately relaxes ... Hey, if we don't take the time to enlighten our kids about what ever .... what's left ?
    PM sent

Spyder Garage

Default With or without

Being a L AKA I too Ryde occasionally sans The prosthesis and do get the look. However it is at time a sense of freedom especially when 80+ degrees and 80% humidity if you know what I mean. If it feels good Ryde on my friend. Be safe!

Spyder Garage

I'm a left hip disarticulation amputee (removed from the hip socket down), and ride like the wind with just one leg. Took a while to get it figured out - not being able to apply the normal body english was scary for a minute or two.

I thank my RTS Ltd for giving me back my freedom to roam about the planet with wind in my face. I started riding when I was 8, so riding has been a part of my life for over 45 years. I thought that part of my life was gone until I found my Spider! Now I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and am out on the road many days of the week. I have a set of folding crutches that fit in the front trunk and together we go anywhere we want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If your comfortable with it ... enjoy your Ryde

x 2 What Chupaca said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Love your answer. Many people feel uncomfortable around people with physical issues. They think, "If I pretend not to notice, maybe the affected people won't know I see it". Wrong, those of us who have issues are very aware. I use an electric cart at the Box Stores because there so big. Often, when I see another cart, I'll ask if they wanna race. We know we have issues, so why ignore them. There's a bit of humor to be found in everything.
    Ride in comfort, with or without...
    John

Spyder Garage

Why not ride without a leg? I put over 300,000 miles on the old Sportster trike without a leg, including several trips from Florida to Maine and back, and one of them on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I just built a small pad to rest my left leg on and ride.

Have not been able to wear a prosthetic leg since 2005, because of heavy scarring and bone growths on the stump.

I will be doing the same with the Spyder when I get it.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Ride on, brother.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Why not ride without a leg? I put over 300,000 miles on the old Sportster trike without a leg, including several trips from Florida to Maine and back, and one of them on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I just built a small pad to rest my left leg on and ride.

Have not been able to wear a prosthetic leg since 2005, because of heavy scarring and bone growths on the stump.

I will be doing the same with the Spyder when I get it.

Glad to see your not letting the SOB get you down. Like the way your ‘legs’ are fixed for a quick draw! Be safe. When the Sportster is no longer the main trike, enjoy the Spyder too...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    Glad to see your not letting the SOB get you down. Like the way your ‘legs’ are fixed for a quick draw! Be safe. When the Sportster is no longer the main trike, enjoy the Spyder too...

The Sportster is parked now. I am giving it to my son, when he can get time enough off from work to come down and get it. Already put close to 1,500 miles on the Spyder. Got quick draw crutches on it too.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver