Spyder Garage

Default Electrical issue w/ New LaMonster Bright Ryder

These lights have to be defective but, this is weird. First, I tested the unit across the battery terminals and no problem. I had a light there before (sorta yellow or warmer and I didn't like it) so, I peeled it off and used the same wiring (checked with a volt meter). No light...what? Back to the terminals, no light. About 5 minutes later, light! Both on the terminals and the wire previously used. So, I installed the new light...no light again. Being very annoyed I waited till today and still no light, including across the terminals. LED's are generally super reliable but there must be a bad connection. Can you think of anything else I could try before returning them?
    Thanks!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry if this might seem a bit obvious Neal, but like you, I'm sorta clutching at straws here to try & guess what else it could be.... is there ANY chance you got the wires crossed between the working & not working episodes, so when they are not working the polarity of the LED connection is wrong??

For those who might not realise, LED's only work with the polarity one way - if you swap the + & - terminals, they just don't work; but put em back the right way, & suddenly you've got light again!! Generally, getting the polarity on an LED or LED string wrong shouldn't hurt, they just don't work when connected the wrong way, but do again when connected the right way! Do you really need to ask me how I know it's bloody easy to get the wires crossed.... repeatedly; giving the 'works when tested, but not when installed' result!!

Apart from that, I got nuthin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

YOU DA MAN!!
    Bingo! I did not know about the polarity issue. It's a wonder any of my other LEDs work!
    Thank you so much!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Double check the wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm sorry if this might seem a bit obvious Neal, but like you, I'm sorta clutching at straws here to try & guess what else it could be.... is there ANY chance you got the wires crossed between the working & not working episodes, so when they are not working the polarity of the LED connection is wrong??

For those who might not realise, LED's only work with the polarity one way - if you swap the + & - terminals, they just don't work; but put em back the right way, & suddenly you've got light again!! Generally, getting the polarity on an LED or LED string wrong shouldn't hurt, they just don't work when connected the wrong way, but do again when connected the right way! Do you really need to ask me how I know it's bloody easy to get the wires crossed.... repeatedly; giving the 'works when tested, but not when installed' result!!

Apart from that, I got nuthin'
    You might think it might be the obvious, but I did exactly that when installing the fender blinker lights. Lights worked, but not when I tried using the blinker. It was not until I removed the other fender light in preparation to send it back that I realized my hooking the wires wrong, so it is pretty easy to do.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    YOU DA MAN!!
    Bingo! I did not know about the polarity issue. It's a wonder any of my other LEDs work!
    Thank you so much!
    Glad I could help! And even more glad it's now working for you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    YOU DA MAN!!
    Thank you so much!
    Hahaha.....you’re not the only one to do that, Neal......just don’t come on here and write that you have an indicator problem....they’re working, no they aren’t, yes they are, no they aren’t, yes they are.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

They really should put flagged tips on the LED wires + and -- cause this happens a lot.. Glad Peter got you fixed up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding the solution!
    , so that we can all be...........

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

So started reading and thought...polarity, but everyone beat me to it !. Like Chupuca said, be nice if they were flagged. I actually flag mine, check them across a battery and label the wires so when I install I do it right, way too easy to screw it up otherwise. Glad you're fixed up!
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.