Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Does the Spyder have any 'Natural Enemies'?

It’s spring, and a young man’s fancy naturally turns to .................. ryding his Spyder, of course!!!
    (Well, at least it’s spring north of the Equator, but Aussies and Kiwis can read on, as well.)

Given my desire to shake off winter blahs and begin fulfilling fantasies of cruising twisting backcountry roads while discovering new bistros, I began going over routine safety and ryding preparations in my mind. This caused me to wonder whether the Spyder had any natural enemies or antagonists? NO, I’m not slyly putting down Harleys, BMW’s or Ninjas. And I’m not thinking of potholes, large rocks, distracted cagers, the occasional jay-walking rodent or misguided moose. What came to mind was more common, domestic, everyday distractions that take attention and time away from Spydering. While otherwise harmless and often beneficial in their own right, these things are downright destructive of Spyder saddle-time. I give you herewith some thoughts on a few of my Spyder’s biggest opponents:

#1 nemesis: the lawnmower. This machine requires hours of my time, and always on bright sunny days; never when it rains! It swallows fuel and oil that could well propel my bike on many a new adventure. Mine is a walk-behind push mower; I don’t even get to ride it. It wears me out, means sweaty work rather than breezy fun. A Grinch of an invention for sure.

#2 is really more in the category of a ‘jealous lover’ more than an enemy; it demands time, care and lots of attention BUT, it does give back a lot of pleasure, kind of equivalent to the bike.... it’s my boat. Since both boating and biking are an ‘orgasmic’ experience for me, it makes for a difficult choice. My boat is a jealous mistress to whom I oftentimes surrender. Nice to get close, whether astride a bike or onboard a boat.

#3, #4, #5 ??? I could think of a few... Maybe the next biggest ‘thief of enjoyment’ is not so much another mechanical object, but more just something that tends to eat up valuable Spyder tyme - - - the dreaded sound of the missus asking: “Honey, would you mind doing.......” There goes another half-day’s riding (or more). Now, lest I be accused of suggesting that my lady is an enemy of my Spyder, I have to hurriedly say that we mostly ryde two-up, and that she loves the experience as much as I. No, the real enemy is simply lack of time; there is a need to build more hours into the day, more sunshine into the weather, grow less grass in my yard. It’s very tough to deny the call of my boat for a day on the water, though, so I guess I will just continue to be a ‘two-timing’ rascal.

Who or what are the enemies of you and your Spyder fun?
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

GOLF-

However I do ride my Spyder to the course.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It’s spring, and a young man’s fancy naturally turns to .................. ryding his Spyder, of course!!!
    (Well, at least it’s spring north of the Equator, but Aussies and Kiwis can read on, as well.)

Given my desire to shake off winter blahs and begin fulfilling fantasies of cruising twisting backcountry roads while discovering new bistros, I began going over routine safety and ryding preparations in my mind. This caused me to wonder whether the Spyder had any natural enemies or antagonists? NO, I’m not slyly putting down Harleys, BMW’s or Ninjas. And I’m not thinking of potholes, large rocks, distracted cagers, the occasional jay-walking rodent or misguided moose. What came to mind was more common, domestic, everyday distractions that take attention and time away from Spydering. While otherwise harmless and often beneficial in their own right, these things are downright destructive of Spyder saddle-time. I give you herewith some thoughts on a few of my Spyder’s biggest opponents:

#1 nemesis: the lawnmower. This machine requires hours of my time, and always on bright sunny days; never when it rains! It swallows fuel and oil that could well propel my bike on many a new adventure. Mine is a walk-behind push mower; I don’t even get to ride it. It wears me out, means sweaty work rather than breezy fun. A Grinch of an invention for sure.

#2 is really more in the category of a ‘jealous lover’ more than an enemy; it demands time, care and lots of attention BUT, it does give back a lot of pleasure, kind of equivalent to the bike.... it’s my boat. Since both boating and biking are an ‘orgasmic’ experience for me, it makes for a difficult choice. My boat is a jealous mistress to whom I oftentimes surrender. Nice to get close, whether astride a bike or onboard a boat.

#3, #4, #5 ??? I could think of a few... Maybe the next biggest ‘thief of enjoyment’ is not so much another mechanical object, but more just something that tends to eat up valuable Spyder tyme - - - the dreaded sound of the missus asking: “Honey, would you mind doing.......” There goes another half-day’s riding (or more). Now, lest I be accused of suggesting that my lady is an enemy of my Spyder, I have to hurriedly say that we mostly ryde two-up, and that she loves the experience as much as I. No, the real enemy is simply lack of time; there is a need to build more hours into the day, more sunshine into the weather, grow less grass in my yard. It’s very tough to deny the call of my boat for a day on the water, though, so I guess I will just continue to be a ‘two-timing’ rascal.

Who or what are the enemies of you and your Spyder fun?

Spyder Garage

#1 Rule: If it takes more than an hour to mow the lawn, get a bigger mower. A 48" commercial walk behind will solve your problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I thinned the enemies way down by selling the house , buying a 42' fifth wheel RV, and a cargo trailer that will fir my brides and my spyder into. now if I can just hang on for another 6 months my spyder time will greatly increase.
    trailer line up.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    #1 Rule: If it takes more than an hour to mow the lawn, get a bigger mower. A 48" commercial walk behind will solve your problem.
    I just got rid of my lawn, and anything else that needs constant attention.

There's not much that competes for riding time in the winter. Summertime, we have camping, fishing ... that's about it! Loving retirement!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-09-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. The other bikes in my stable.
    2. Our wonderful dogs, all 4 of them.
    3. My honey - although we do spend time on our bikes, she has her own too, so the Spyder sits.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default snow

snow
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

My enemy, currently the unseasonably cold and damp spring. I have lost a whole month of riding so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Do you ride south much?

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My enemy, currently the unseasonably cold and damp spring. I have lost a whole month of riding so far.

Spyder Garage

Default A different view...

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    snow
    could depend on one's point of view - see:

[SIGPIC]
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default dog's best friend

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    1. The other bikes in my stable.
    2. Our wonderful dogs, all 4 of them.
    3. My honey - although we do spend time on our bikes, she has her own too, so the Spyder sits.
    re your point #2... here's a dog that loves his Spyder; see -

https://www.facebook.com/EpochTimesC...225830369/?t=4

https://www.facebook.com/EpochTimesC...25830369/?t=16
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-10-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    re your point #2... here's a dog that loves his Spyder; see -

https://www.facebook.com/EpochTimesC...wMTU1MjM5NjA3/
    Yes, but with 4 large dogs. I've wondered if there's a trailer that can haul 270lbs of dogs.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

sounds like a matter of "if you build it, they will ryde"
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtown biker View Post
    Do you ride south much?

I am getting ready to bail and move to Arkansas next summer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Overtime! Money is good, but sometimes just not worth it.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

WORK

That's 40 hours a week i can't ride. although, wouldn't have the spyder without it

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Gravel roads!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Answers to your issues....

#1 I pay someone $25 a week to mow mine - worth every cent as it used to take me two hours not including repairing the sodding thing after it had overheated, snapped a belt, got a puncture etc.

#2 Get a seadoo, tow it behind the Spyder, problem solved:-)

#3 earplugs?

In my case work, followed by work and then work.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 05-10-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Gravel roads!

Good one.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    WORK

That's 40 hours a week i can't ride. although, wouldn't have the spyder without it
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 05-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I thinned the enemies way down by selling the house , buying a 42' fifth wheel RV, and a cargo trailer that will fir my brides and my spyder into. now if I can just hang on for another 6 months my spyder time will greatly increase.
    trailer line up.jpg
    I love your dog trailer!! What make? Where did you get it?
    Thanks!
    Pam
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

occasionally the jealous wife is a fierce enemy of the .
    Last edited by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN; 05-11-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
    I love your dog trailer!! What make? Where did you get it?
    Thanks!
    Pam
    It was custom made, but the company no-longer exist, but if you look up easyridercamper.com I think they make one just like it. It was spendy but our English Setter is well protected and worth it. We do not like leaving her behind as we had a very bad experience one time doing that with another dog. She has over 10,000 miles of riding in her trailer, well vented and a 4" memory foam mattress and 2' ridged foam insulation.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I just got rid of my lawn, and anything else that needs constant attention.

There's not much that competes for riding time in the winter. Summertime, we have camping, fishing ... that's about it! Loving retirement!
    Same here. I highly recommend it.

Spyder Garage

The wife and I both have bikes and we are now down to 1 cage. So I ride the Spyder for many local errands, part-time work, etc. thanks to the ample storage on an RT.

We're moving from a 2300 sf house w/ a 3/4 acre yard in TX to a 1700 sf house with about an 1800 sf yard in FL right now. So my 4-5 hrs/week in yard work with serious power tools is dropping to 1 with a push-mower. My wife does all the gardening in flower beds and what not. She enjoys it.

I actually love fishing and hunting more than riding. These are the biggest resource demands in my life, and my part-time work is switching from firearms safety and defensive tactics training to fishing with the move (a huge improvement). For me, these don't "steal" from riding. If anything, it would be the opposite.

Living in TX and FL, weather is rarely a deal-killer for riding. Heavy rain changes the calculus, but we ride 12 months/year. No pets or kids. Watering plants is on a sprinkler system. House plants are dry climate stuff. So we can take off and go when we please for weeks at a time.

It has taken several years to adjust, but I think we've about got it where we want it as of next month.