Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Air it o rear tire

Good afternoon, can someone tell me an easy way to add air to the rear tire on my RT LTD. It's hard to get to it.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Some are using valve extenders. Most have the same dilemma you do. I can get down there, but getting up is a real PIA for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting down and up, seeing the back Dr Tues
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

YEP, real PITA to get to. Can't figure out why the stem didn't protrude to the other side of the wheel. Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    YEP, real PITA to get to. Can't figure out why the stem didn't protrude to the other side of the wheel. Mac
    I just cannot believe they made it so hard to do something so basic, it just makes me think I'm stupid and can't see what's right before my eyes which happens sometimes
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Yeah, that’s why I’m running FOBO, wmh.....at least I now only have to get under there when it’s necessary

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I just cannot believe they made it so hard to do something so basic, it just makes me think I'm stupid and can't see what's right before my eyes which happens sometimes
    Nah, It's our old, arthritic, chubby fingers that have issues with doing menial tasks, and I think the school of higher knowledge teaches "common sense" right out of a person!Mac

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reminder. Mine has been sitting for 6 mo. and I can't remember the front and rear tire pressure (I have a car tire in back). Help! I'm lazy and go to any one of the tire shops in town and they gladly do it for free. Old and gimpy has it's advantages.
    ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default An Answer

Yeah, it's a Harley part but it's worked perfectly for me for close to four years. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stem-extension
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Harley extension works great.

I use the Harley extension and it makes checking pressure & adding air much easier.
    My new ride is a 2017 F3-L: BRP drivers backrest, F4 21" tinted shield w/vent, Lamonster fog lights, TRCLED cyclops light, red/black carbon fiber tank protector and dash kit from Wrap-My-Spyder, FOBO tire pressure monitors and more farkles to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, that’s why I’m running FOBO, wmh.....at least I now only have to get under there when it’s necessary

Pete
    What's FOBO, I THINK I'LL LOOK FOR A VALVE EXTENSION
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

What makes it so hard to get to, is the spokes on the rear pully what is getting in the way of the valve stem. I have a 2015 RT Limited, and my valve stem is right out in the open.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Yeah, it's a Harley part but it's worked perfectly for me for close to four years. https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stem-extension

Nice! I just ordered one and, even though shipping and tax more than doubled the $10.95 cost, it's bound to be better than trying to attach a pump directly to that short and almost inaccessible little stub that passes for a valve stem.

I assume you DO remove it while riding!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    What's FOBO, I THINK I'LL LOOK FOR A VALVE EXTENSION
    Tire pressure sensors. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/fobo-...t-of-3-silver/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Those would be spectacular if they automatically refilled the tires when they registered low air pressure!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I think I might stop by my local HD dealer and see if they have one of those, might be the hot ticket!! Mac

Spyder Garage

Default HD Valve Extension

I'm confused ;(often) isn't it just as hard to get down and attach the extension as it would be the air chuck?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I'm confused ;(often) isn't it just as hard to get down and attach the extension as it would be the air chuck?
    Yes you are correct. The hardest for me, is the type of digital gage I use is sometimes hard to get placed on the valve stem without losing some air. Putting air in the tire is not a problem for me, it's checking the pressure. I like to use digital gages because I feel they are more accurate than manual/analog types. It's a tit-for-tat situation and yes, you are on your knees just as much. Mac

Spyder Garage

I think I might stop by my local HD dealer and see if they have one of those, might be the hot ticket!! Mac
    If you have an emergency compressor you're all set, but if not, you might look at the Harley comperssor that comes with a valve extension and is a good compressor. It's a bit larger than some others on the market but it is well designed IMO.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by OlJim; 05-05-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

If you have an emergency compressor you're all set, but if not, you might look at the Harley comperssor that comes with a valve extension and is a good compressor. It's a bit larger than some others on the market but it is well designed IMO.
    Yes I have a small 12v compressor in the bottom of my trunk, plus a plug kit and when I'm on a long trip, I have a small floor jack hiding somewhere in my trailer. Hope I never have to pull all that crap out on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Those would be spectacular if they automatically refilled the tires when they registered low air pressure!
    They are spectacular even without the ability to refill the tyres, Arion. Instead of getting down to check tyre pressure before I head out for a ride, I only have to get down when FOBO tells me pressure is low. They are also spectacular in telling me when I have a slow tyre leak when out on the road, rather than only noticing when the tyre is actually flat. Couldn’t live without them now

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The hardest for me, is the type of digital gage I use is sometimes hard to get placed on the valve stem without losing some air. Putting air in the tire is not a problem for me, it's checking the pressure.
    Mac, if checking the air is your major issue, you really should look at whether your budget runs to FOBO. That is FOBOs reason for being

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Mac, if checking the air is your major issue, you really should look at whether your budget runs to FOBO. That is FOBOs reason for being

Pete
    Yes I thought of them and purchasing them is not the issue, I monitor my tire pressures every third day or so, when we are on a trip, but I check them visually before every ride. I'm use to crawling around to do it. Would monitors make it more convenient, yes it would. I have had TPM's on two of my last vehicles and the truck we own now and their great. I'm just old school for the most part with my bikes and there would be 3 more batteries I would have to replace and they probably would go out or give me an erroneous reading when I needed them the most, so I'll deal with it as is. Mac

Spyder Garage

...Hope I never have to pull all that crap out on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! Mac
    What you said!!!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S