Spyder Garage

Default Defeated by the steering bolts

Well, one of them, to be specific. I'm pulling them out to install the Lamonster RAM mount (the two-bolt version) on my RT; took a lot of sweat, but I got one of 'em out. The other one is resisting my charms, and I'm fearful I'm getting close to fouling up the hex head the way I'm flailing.

I think my main problem is not enough torque on the allen wrench (it's a bit shorter because the original bolts require a 7mm head, wherease Lamont's fine replacements have a proper 8mm head and I've got a decent length Allen wrench for that size).

Any other tips, cheats or guidance for solving this? Someone in a long-ago post said that the steering bolts were hard to get started, and they weren't kidding.

Thanks in advance, and I'll hang up and listen.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Hit the wrench with a dead blow hammer. Worked on mine.

Spyder Garage

mine were a pain too. have removable Loctite on them. get a good quality 7 mm wrench., may have to use a small diameter pipe on wrench, or get a socket type 7 mm stud with a breaker bar or 1/2 drive rachet
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Default I had the same issue!

What a pain in the butt to get the two handlebar bolts out! I ordered this to assist: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A big hammer and that tool made the job so much easier. It also felt good to bang the crap out of it.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Cheater pipe
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Socket

I used a 7mm socket on a 3/8" ratchet. Tapped the bolt a few times with a small ball-peen to scare it. Took a bit of cussing but it popped and then came out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Well, one of them, to be specific. I'm pulling them out to install the Lamonster RAM mount (the two-bolt version) on my RT; took a lot of sweat, but I got one of 'em out. The other one is resisting my charms, and I'm fearful I'm getting close to fouling up the hex head the way I'm flailing.

I think my main problem is not enough torque on the allen wrench (it's a bit shorter because the original bolts require a 7mm head, wherease Lamont's fine replacements have a proper 8mm head and I've got a decent length Allen wrench for that size).

Any other tips, cheats or guidance for solving this? Someone in a long-ago post said that the steering bolts were hard to get started, and they weren't kidding.

Thanks in advance, and I'll hang up and listen.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to all for their suggestions

You'd think I'd have learned the lesson by now, that when a job seems too hard to do or isn't getting done right, you don't have the right tools. A quick trip to the hardware store for 7mm and 8mm hex bolt sockets later, I can report success in this simple endeavor. The Lamonster RAM mount is mounted, and the Techmount TechGripper is installed.

And if you're wondering about the incongruity of the RAM mount and TechGripper, you're right -- 25mm ball vs. a 17mm ball for the Techmount, successfully overcome with the Arkon "converter ball." Everything looks solid, and I'll hopefully have a road report to confirm that later today.

(After reading the reviews of the X-Grip and the TechGripper, I went for the latter -- the "play" that people noted on the X-Grip for smaller than capacity phones would have driven me nuts, I think.)
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm going to be removing 2 of the steering head bolts on my 2016 ST-S to install the Lamonster Ram mount, replacing with the ones supplied with the mount.
    Is it necessary or recommended to use any Loctite on the new bolts, and if so, which version (Blue, Red, etc)?
    Thanks!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

When you remove the old bolts test the new ones to see how tightly they screw in. If they do not screw in tightly use Blue Loctite, I prefer the kind that comes in a tube like Chapstick. As an alternative, take one of the screws you remove, clean the threads thoroughly with a wire brush and run it down each of the empty holes to check the tightness of the threads and then use Blue Locyite on the new bolts. Never use Red Loctite unless you don't ever want to remove the bolt(s) without applying heat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I'm going to be removing 2 of the steering head bolts on my 2016 ST-S to install the Lamonster Ram mount, replacing with the ones supplied with the mount. Is it necessary or recommended to use any Loctite on the new bolts, and if so, which version (Blue, Red, etc)?
    Thanks!
    For what little it's worth, even after, in the immortal and only slightly altered words of Mark Knopfler, banging on the bolts like a chimpanzee, I had no trouble with a clean and snug installation of the replacement bolts with no additives, Loctite or otherwise. The mount is solid rock -- er, rock solid.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Dewalt impact driver and a 7 mm Allen socket. We have done quite a few. With the right tool, pretty easy.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Darn - On my ST I used a 7mm allen head socket and a breaker bar.
    Totally forgot about using the impact driver.
    Next time I will remember the right tools.
    \Don't use locktite on the reassembly.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

If you don't have an impact driver, but do have a set of punches, place the largest one that fits the allen recess and give it a few raps with a heavy steel hammer. That should break loose the Loctite.
    If you do not have a set of allen and torx wrenches that go onto a ratchet handle, do not pass GO and do not collect $200, but get yourself those if you intend to do your own maintenance.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My question is - what is the size of the bolts IE: I can get a kit to mount my Garmin that has three bolts included, M8 x 55 and x60 and x65 - would these fit?

Spyder Garage

I built a similar RAM mount for my GPS using these bolts.
    M10x1.5x100mm. Socket head cap screws.
    purchased thru EBay.com 3 bolts for $2.00.

The RAM ball is from an Chinese XGrip Cell phone clamp.
    Also bought spacers and washers at my local hardware store.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack