Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yes and don't forget. Waffle house breakfast. Then ride some. Then take in a few sights. Then ride some more. Stop for lunch and ride more to the nearest ice cream shop for a treat. Then ride home. And take a Nap in the recliner or on the couch. What ever feels best.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode to Springfield to eat dinner today and put 139 miles on the Spyder. We saw a lot of bikes and waved at all of them. Our "wave return rate" was 100%! I attribute this to a great spring day and the riding season being young. It seemed there was at least one of every kind of bike made out there today.

When I took the motorcycle safety course, the instructors said that they each knew of one of two long time riders who will not take their hand off of the handlebars. That's just the way some are. Many times if a rider is riding two up, they will leave the wave duty to the passenger.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. We don't know what is on the other rider's mind or if they even saw us. Just as said earlier, a wave is a gift. It doesn't cost much, just a slight effort. So give freely!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I would say about 75% here. When I rode a Victory, only 30% of Harley riders would wave back!

Congrats and welcome!
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdowning View Post
    Now not even 10% of the bikes I wave at will return the wave.
    Two things....possibly:

They have actually seen Spyders on the road so infrequently that their attention is on the machine and forget to wave.

If most of your riding is in an urban area with moderate to heavy traffic maybe their attention is more on the hazards of riding and they don't notice you until it's too late.

I don't wave at anybody when the traffic is heavy; didn't on 2 wheels either.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would estimate that in Canada 98% of bikes wave. The missing 2% are either too busy to wave or are a true 1%er.

I even catch a few true 1%er's who will do a quick two finger dip if no one else is watching. LOL

Someone mentioned a nice spring day and that does warrant a wave even from the most hardened biker mother#2$%&! ...

Spyder Garage

I remain flummoxed as to why people feel the need the check whether the other rider waves back. I wave to them, because that’s the way I am.....if I am too busy with other things like watching the braking B-double in front, I often don’t wave......what the other rider does, is entirely their business.

Personally, I think any issues claimed with loss of bike control are caused more by people rubbernecking to see if the rider waves back, than taking a hand briefly off the bars.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah Pete, the main reason I'm ryding is to enjoy it, & unless I'm too busy with staying in control/ryding safely, I generally wave or acknowledge other riders (& sometimes even pedestrians or drivers!) while I'm doing so, but I'm waaaayy too busy enjoying myself to worry over them returning my wave or not!

Besides, my Wife swears that I ALWAYS get waved at anyway; be it in the cage, on the Spyder, in a boat, on a paddleboard on the river, or flying in an aircraft! She reckons there's gotta be a signal somewhere that lights up to tell everyone to wave when I'm in control that she hasn't found yet, cos wherever we are, whatever we are doing, I get the waves, she doesn't!! Even in areas where the locals are notorious for NOT waving at 'outsiders' or where they may even normally be actively hostile towards outsiders, I get smiles & waves but she doesn't, & others don't!! I reckon it's just the pure 'enjoyment of life cos I woke up this morning' vibes emanating from whatever vehicle we may be in/on that triggers an instinctive happy response, but I really don't care if they return my wave or not. I'm just enjoying it, & sharing that enjoyment by waving - if they don't respond similarly, it's their loss, but I reckon they just might be feeling a little brighter inwardly anyway!

So just Ride more, Worry Less - and Wave at anyone & everyone without ever expecting a response!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I actually waved to an older guy in a 3 wheel mobility scooter the other day. Judging from the way his face lit up and the way he nearly fell out waving back, he got a real kick out of it. Perhaps he was a motorcyclist in a previous life. Made me feel pretty good to see that reaction too

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Marty, it's a game and here's how you play. You 'guess' which of the cyclists will wave back. It's a learned skill and you'll get pretty good at it. Every time you're right, wave or no wave, you win a point! For example, if it is a single Harley, you'll probably get a wave...two or more not so much. If it's a group of Harley or rice burners, the last rider has the highest probability. Also, the wives are big wavers. Of course, you should always wave if you overcome a group of Harley drivers cause you just know it's pissing them off you can...and just did!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Spyder Garage

The wave has moved to include Jeeps now,so i just wave at everyone. Do not want someone to feel left out.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Default Wave experience

Out here in Washington (Seattle to Portland and all in between east and west), I give the 2 finger "V" lower arm down sign every time and get I would guess about 90 % return. My wife will too, if she's not fiddling with her MP3 and notices them We have done this for years, even on our previous Goldwings.

Most interesting - "non-returners" I've come to notice are usually Black leather jacket groups wherein you get waves back from EVERYONE if the leader does, and others "maybe", depending on where they are in line Just my observations
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I actually waved to an older guy in a 3 wheel mobility scooter the other day. Judging from the way his face lit up and the way he nearly fell out waving back, he got a real kick out of it. Perhaps he was a motorcyclist in a previous life. Made me feel pretty good to see that reaction too

Pete
    I did the same a couple years back. He enjoyed it even more than I did.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Warning

Please do not wave a little children on swing sets. A neighbor driving past our house waved at one of my little grand girls that was swing on a swing near the road. She lost her balance when waving back and fell off the swing. The neighbor stopped and ran over to make sure she was okay. She was just a bit shook up, the neighbor felt bad about it but I laughed.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Please do not wave a little children on swing sets.
    THIS is what you concluded from that incident ??

Never mind that the swing seat should NOT tip over with such a simple act as waving at passing cars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    The wave has moved to include Jeeps now,so i just wave at everyone. Do not want someone to feel left out.
    Yeah, but it is easy for Jeep drivers to wave back Mike, as they are usually seated in the car on the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Never mind that the swing seat should NOT tip over with such a simple act as waving at passing cars.

How did you deduce that the swing seat tipped over from Seaweed’s comment that the “little girl lost her balance waving and fell off the swing”?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR.

The seat is about 2 feet from the ground so not a bad fall. Little children can be a bit clumsy at times. I do not know if she had used both hands or just one.
    The story was to amuse folks not to set you off on a tangent.

PS I try to wave to all cyclist, but do miss some due to traffic.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How did you deduce that the swing seat tipped over from Seaweed’s comment that the “little girl lost her balance waving and fell off the swing”?

Pete
    OOPS. Sorry.
    Maybe she should have been IN the seat instead of ON it ??

Spyder Garage

OOPS. Sorry.
    Maybe she should have been IN the seat instead of ON it ??
    I talked to my neighbor this morning as to what happened, as I was not out in the front yard with my grand daughter but my wife was. He told me that she waved with both hands and fell off backwards. She was about 8 years old at that time.

Try to have a happy day (if that is even possible for you since you seem to be so negative about things).

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Try to have a happy day (if that is even possible for you since you seem to be so negative about things).
    Give it a rest, please.
    It is called being realistic.

Note: A smiley at the end might head off serious replies about a comment offered in jest.
    Just maybe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, but it is easy for Jeep drivers to wave back Mike, as they are usually seated in the car on the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck

Pete
    Dude... that's cold!
    If we're on the side of the road: we're just probably busy locking in the hubs, and getting ready to throw some dirt in the air!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dude... that's cold!
    If we're on the side of the road: we're just probably busy locking in the hubs, and getting ready to throw some dirt in the air!
    Hahaha.....I have to admit, I NEARLY bought one recently Bob, now that they appear much more reliable......I love their new marketing slogan.....shows a sense of humour.....”Jeep....we’ll get you there......and back” ....very clever

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycles don't wave back.

And guns don't kill people!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Motorcycles don't wave back.

And guns don't kill people!

Ooo!! You are Naughty!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Dude... that's cold!
    I must confess, I d/n want to get into the jeep argument due to the fact there has been way too much "bashing" in these threads as of late but I've owned 3 of them and they have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned, stock or modified. Many off-road miles in Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Calif. Just my experience and I also wave to all bikers and don't care if they wave back or not, I feel just as good.

Mac