Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are those out there who are very snobbish
    they don't think that anyone riding anything other than their brand deserve their time.
    I have been riding since 1956 I was 14 when I got my lic. and I do not pay any attention
    to them, Some day you may see one of them sitting along side the road broke down and
    yo can wave at them as you go by...Chances are you will never find an American Motorcyclist Assoc
    AMA member treat you like that.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdowning View Post
    I am new to the Spyder. I sold my 2003 Honda VTX 1800R and purchased a 2016 NEW RTS SE6 Pearl white in February. I am used to waving at all bikes 2 or 3 wheeled. Now not even 10% of the bikes I wave at will return the wave. They will look at me but not wave. I went to the Spyder because of my knees and the commute I have every day. I have been riding for 30yrs. Going to an automatic and 3 wheels has made my life much easier. I am enjoying this forum and all of the great info.

Thanks
    Marty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Your riding in a stuck up area!! I find that in Maine we all wave no matter what your riding, even tractors!! We all wave
    sounds like west river South Dakota and Wyoming. Almost everyone waves whether I’m on the Spyder on driving my work van.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default In Amarillo

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    I just took a trip to OKC from Las Vegas along I40 and back.
    Including the miles put on in OKC and others close to 2500 miles.

In all that distance eI got 90% waves altogether. Even on DIVIDED highways like I 40 itself.

Even driving locally I get at least 75% waves.

Maybe they can just tell I'm an OLD xHarley owner

AJ
    Did I see you and another SpYder at the Cadillac Ranch last Thursday or Friday afternoon?
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

I get about 60% wave here in NC. The too cool guys on the non bagger HD's are most likely not to wave here. I think their bandana is too tight. The HD baggers nearly always wave btw.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Waved at, Ignored, Fingered, Thumbed, Saluted....

Hell, it’s all good!!....

Whether or not we admit we care, it’s fairly obvious that we all notice. BUT, does it really matter??
    After a 40 year absence, I returned to biking last year when, in a moment of spontaneous inspiration, I broke open my retirement piggy bank and bought a Spyder. I then had to re-learn a whole bunch of things – safe riding, defensive tactics, biker identity/mentality, group riding customs and, of course, road courtesies. The ‘two fingers down’ with left arm visibly dropped off the hand grip soon came quickly back, no problem. But, was I doing it right; was anyone even noticing? Like some others, these questions nagged at me. Here are some observations:

There are no hard and fast rules about who will wave, not wave, or how; no guidelines; no definite expectations. I’ve probably had more of my 'salutes' returned than ignored, and it doesn’t seem to matter whether the others were on Harleys, Hondas, Suzi’s, Yam’s or even other Spyders. Some wave, some don’t. Other Spyders though are usually the most enthusiastic, almost jumping off their rydes in greeting, waving, or high-fiving, etc. There are a few ignorant bikers who simply seem oblivious (or too exalted) to acknowledge a friendly greeting. Sad, but too bad for them if they don’t wish to say ‘Hi’ to little old me.

I wave at everyone – I have saluted Slingshots, scooters, ATV’s, a couple of golf carts and, one time, a guy on a lawn mower trimming the highway median. One Sunday, a lady in a motorized chair was in the curb lane as I pulled up to a stop light; I looked over, waved, smiled, and challenged her to a drag race. Her laugh made my day. The most memorable wave ever given to me came from a kid on a crotch rocket screaming through the twisties. He was in a descending, tight left turn; I was climbing and bending right. He dropped his left hand off the grip and almost dragged two fingers on the pavement as he approached me. I barely got my hand down before he was gone. For reasons of safety alone, I would never have expected his salute; but he gave it. Cool kid!!!

I’ve had Harleys wave first, or not at all; same for other makes. Some wave noticeably, while others will barely lift a finger or two off the grip. I’ve even had (and given) a right-handed salute with barely a lift of the hand, depending on the situation and whether the other biker was on my right side. I often wonder if we sometimes miss seeing ‘little waves’ from others and then feel we’re being ignored, when really we aren’t.

Maybe we should all just think of our courtesy waves as akin to a gift – things we give away to others without a thought or care of repayment. As bscofield84 says above: if you walk down the sidewalk and say ‘Hi’, some will smile and return the compliment, others will ignore you. The important thing is that we feel good, and don’t allow the response (or lack thereof) to spoil our day.

Wave on; wave everywhere; wave at everything. Give freely. Friendly Spyders will ultimately prevail. Ignorance will be overcome. Your soul will be happier.
    Last edited by bushrat; 05-02-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I think it’s more of a change in society than anything. Most older riders seem to wave more often and more riders new to riding don’t seem to bother. I have a friend who rides a Harley, and is relatively new to riding, and he does not wave to anybody, other than to those bikers he knows. I asked him about it once and his response was.....I don’t know them, why should I wave at them. I’ve been riding since 1959, and when I can I wave at everyone, and quite honestly the majority of riders I see, wave at me.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Hell, it’s all good!!....

Maybe we should all just think of our courtesy waves as akin to a gift – things we give away to others without a thought or care of repayment. As bscofield84 says above: if you walk down the sidewalk and say ‘Hi’, some will smile and return the compliment, others will ignore you. The important thing is that we feel good, and don’t allow the response (or lack thereof) to spoil our day.

Wave on; wave everywhere; wave at everything. Give freely. Friendly Spyders will ultimately prevail. Ignorance will be overcome. Your soul will be happier.

All of your post was well said, ESPECIALLY the quoted bits & EXTRA ESPECIALLY the bolded & underlined bit above! I doubt anyone coulda put it better or hit the important points any more exactly!! BRILLIANT!!

WAVE ON, be it just for the helluvit, just cos you are havin' a Great Day, or just maybe cos you'd like to have a great day!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Just curious, what finger(s) are you using when you wave, Marty? :-)

I wave, and if they don't who cares.

I know you did not ask me, but I only wave with my middle finger
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The best part is...

When a group of harleys drive through a town, nobody cares. When we drive a group of spyders through a town, we get all the attention! I love it! Today, there was a van load of kids that were almost falling out the windows to wave at us. When we stop someplace, someone always seems to walk by the harleys to check out the spyders. Gotta,love that! I dont care if a bike doesnt wave.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player,
    seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance
    themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
    10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
    9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
    8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
    7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
    6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
    5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
    4. They were mentally rehearsing the "explanation", that they'll need to give their Spouse for the
    last Farkling episode.
    3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
    2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death"
    make an appearance.
    1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising
    the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Top Ten Reasons Why Conventional Trike Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Their arms were too tired to raise... no power steering!
    9. Your "Unusual" configuration has them confused. They thought you were going the other way!
    8. They just had hit a pothole, and felt their first bad "Head-Shake". They're not letting go of anything!
    7. They are lost in thought: How much is their Trike worth on trade, for a new Spyder?
    6. They're still laughing at thgemselves for trying to put their feet down at the last stoplight.
    5. The last time they waved at a "foreign" bike; their riding buddies made them buy the beer!
    4. Didn't know WHAT you were, as you went by.
    3. They only wave at conventionals...
    2. They thought that their passenger waved... (She was asleep!)
    1. The glare from all of the chrome had them momentarily blinded.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel53 View Post

Did I see you and another SpYder at the Cadillac Ranch last Thursday or Friday afternoon?
    Did they take your favorite parking spots?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    They may be afraid to let go of the Ape Hangers to wave...

Don't mean to highjack the thread but wanted to share something from earlier in the week. We've all seen and heard the HD guys crack the throttle when going through an underpass. The other day I was in my car behind one at a stop sign and he was blipping the throttle and then I noticed he was wearing ear plugs....
    So I'm thinking, "the damn thing is too loud for the rider and now the rest of us have to listen to that racket too". Maybe I'll just drive around with a pair of those big Headphones like the guys on the jackhammers use. But I'll be sure to wave.

Rant is over, carry on.
    A Hoon* around here used to have a very noisy exhaust on his car. Strangely one morning he found the exhaust, air intakes and around the bonnet and doors had all been filled with expanding spray foam. Terrible really how these things happen.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Candoman View Post
    Been riding motorcycles since 1964, but my current rides are a Suzuki Burgman 650 and a F3S. Seems pretty equal with the amount of returned waves I get being about 50 percent. Somedays more, some days less.
    Candoman, if you had to choose, would you stick with the burgman or the spyder?

Spyder Garage

Don't sweat it. Dtop for an ice cream, you'll feel better.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I wave at everyone, 2 or 3 wheeled. I get like 75% waves back. I do know some die-hard Harley guys that ride with my brother in law that hate Spyders and will not wave, which I think is pretty stupid. But I don't care and I wave all the time like people have said its on them, I would feel stupid if I didn't wave. Also, I have noticed that when my wife rides with me, she notices late waves, where I would think they didn't wave back but they really did.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Maybe they’re just in a daze thinking “ gee I wish I could have one of those Spyders” 😀😅

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

I ride a Harley and my wife rides a F3-T. I normally ride behind her so I am not looking in my rear view mirrors all the time to make sure she is OK (she put 50K on the back of my Harley, less than 1K on her Spyder so far). I see how many other riders wave at her and it's no less then me on my Harley.
    I wave at everybody, probably get 75% wave back. That's OK. It can be they didn't see it or too busy concentrating on the road, I am sure I miss some myself. It's a respect thing to me.
    The only time I don't wave is at an event like Stugis, your arm would eventually fall off! ;o)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wave

I usually WAVE to All the riders I see. Sometimes the conditions make this a little tough. So Wave when it SAFE and Just Enjoy your RYDE Time.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default The Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    We tend to wave whenever able - that is if we're busy maneuvering or trying to stay safe in heavy traffic - regardless whether the wave is returned. It's a simple signal of "fraternity" so to speak and it doesn't matter to us what the other individual(s) is/are riding. In our neck of the woods, the most common non-wavers are helmetless Harley riders though it's not universal. It must be a cool image thing?
    I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S. And in the past, five Gold Wings, and three Harleys. But I don't feel any less "cool" on a Spyder if there was ever a need to feel cool or macho. I might feel more superior riding a Spyder than any helmet less, black vested, or jacketed rider on a Harley. But that's just me. And I do wave at everyone riding either a Spyder or conventional motorcycle. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they don't. At least I made to effort to acknowledge another in the fraternity. And my day is all the brighter for having done so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S. And in the past, five Gold Wings, and three Harleys. But I don't feel any less "cool" on a Spyder if there was ever a need to feel cool or macho. I might feel more superior riding a Spyder than any helmet less, black vested, or jacketed rider on a Harley. But that's just me. And I do wave at everyone riding either a Spyder or conventional motorcycle. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they don't. At least I made to effort to acknowledge another in the fraternity. And my day is all the brighter for having done so.

Wow, you got a real complex going there don't you? I've been riding with the same group of bikes that includes Spyders, Hondas, Indians, as well as Harley's for years. Nobody cares.
    And even when I am with primarily Harley riders have I have never heard a statement as blatantly ignorant and elitist as that.

Spyder Garage

Default Its ok

I am new to the Spyder. I sold my 2003 Honda VTX 1800R and purchased a 2016 NEW RTS SE6 Pearl white in February. I am used to waving at all bikes 2 or 3 wheeled. Now not even 10% of the bikes I wave at will return the wave. They will look at me but not wave. I went to the Spyder because of my knees and the commute I have every day. I have been riding for 30yrs. Going to an automatic and 3 wheels has made my life much easier. I am enjoying this forum and all of the great info.

Thanks
    Marty
    Don't feel bad. I got the same treatment when we had our goldwing. If they do they do and if not oh well. Most people will wave and a few won't. If they are riding 2 up watch the girl on the back. Most of the time they will stick out a hand or 2 fingers. But congrates on the new ride. Welcome to the family. Happy Trails Enjoy the Ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Many of those others just don't want to break their Cool Status by acknowledging something that can out maneuver them and in many cases just flat out beat them.
    Amen my Brother. Good Thinking . Long live us Speed Demons.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Marty
    Marty, unfortunately you have unfriendly riders in your neck of the woods. In California I would estimate that 8 out of 10 waive!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wave ir bit!

I am new to the Spyder. I sold my 2003 Honda VTX 1800R and purchased a 2016 NEW RTS SE6 Pearl white in February. I am used to waving at all bikes 2 or 3 wheeled. Now not even 10% of the bikes I wave at will return the wave. They will look at me but not wave....
    Marty
    Hi Marty!
    I think you have my bykes twin! After my 2010 RT got totalled, I got a 2016 RT Limited. Thats a SE, and its also Pearl White. Still getting used to the paddle shifter.

I wave at anything that looks like a motorcycle. Most wave back, some don't. Sometimes I don't see the other bike/biker until its past waving time. Hope they dont think I'm a snob.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black