Spyder Garage

Default Today’s project.

I have an ST with no radio. I wanted a headset so I could listen to music but do have the extra cash at the moment to spend. I bought some speakers on Ebay and designed a case on a CAD program. I printed the case on my 3D printer and this is the result. Perfect fit and a great sound. Total investment - approximately $9.00

8212D99A-98E9-450B-93FF-27787326A010.jpgE4D51470-6AC4-4619-942F-11C6EB4E2FBD.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Various bikes since 8 years old
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

nice job!
    what will you hook the speakers to?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default phone

i already have a bluetooth dongle from a previous project. I have it connected to my helmet and will pair it to my phone.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Default phone

i already have a bluetooth dongle from a previous project. I have it connected to my helmet and will pair it to my phone.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$9.00 huh?

How much for the 3d printer and the CAD system?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Nice job. How durable is the case you printed?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default durable

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Nice job. How durable is the case you printed?
    My printer does a great job. They are extremely durable.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Wink Well Crap

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    $9.00 huh?

How could I miss something so obvious. You know.... every post I put on here someone has to put a negative spin on it. But for the sake of your argument, I will play along. In fact, lets now make this the new standard for anyone posting a price for a project they have completed. Ie... If I want to know what the cost of the a BajaRon sway bar is, you have to give the price of the sway bar, the jack or lift, and all the tools needed to complete the work.

ATTENTION SPYDERLOVERS: From this point forward, when you post the cost of a project, you must include the price of your tools including jacks or lifts so we can have a true picture of the associated cost.

The CAD program and the 3D printer are tools just like the wrench for the mechanic or the DIY'er. Tools they already have!!!! But I am still willing to play along.

We will start with the $9.00
    There are multiple online sites that offer CAD software for free +$0. Sign up for an account and away you go.
    The Printer Cost me $800.00

I am down $809.00

I am about 1000 prints completed on my 3D printer with an average savings of about $4.00 per print. Savings = $4000.00 which includes the CNC machine that I printed last month that saved me about $800.00......... I did not realize I had to include all this........ So lets total this up.

$809
    -$4000
    Total (-$3191). I've made $3191.00 in all on this project. I think that is pretty good. But wait

Soldering iron -$ 10
    Wire -$3

I had to have a helmet -$150

I am still up 3,028. Pretty good huh! But wait, if I did not have a Spyder, I probably would not have attempted this project. So lets deduct that also.

$9150.00

I'm in the hole $6122. I also had to go to the post office to pick up the package and needed my car

$14,500 for the car, plus $5.00 for gas. Lets not forget to add in the depreciation value of the vehicle since I had to put miles on it....... Never mind, that is a little picky......

I'm am down $20,627.

During this time I had to eat so lets take out $10.00 for the meal I had to eat.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

Wow, I did not realize this was such an expensive undertaking. I have you to thank for that. I only wanted speakers in my helmet.

New cost for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

My day is ruined now... but the total is now accurate.

Wait I forgot the beverage I had to drink while all that was going on. Add another $1.50.
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 05-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice! I will not make a comment on the cad and 3D printer, as I am in precast concrete design and use CAD every day. But I would like to be able to pick up a 3D printer. A couple of buddies of mine were thinking about that a while back. The way I see it, probably not much more than the monstrosity that I have in my office to print 36" wide rolls of paper, which is always breaking down. I now have all my clients print most of the large projects and send them to me. But most of my stuff, I just covert to PDF format and email it over.
    But as for the speakers, nice job.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    $9.00 huh?

That's like asking a fisherman how much the fish cost by the pound by factering in the cost of the boat and fishing tackle.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default PRUSA

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Nice! I will not make a comment on the cad and 3D printer, as I am in precast concrete design and use CAD every day. But I would like to be able to pick up a 3D printer. A couple of buddies of mine were thinking about that a while back. The way I see it, probably not much more than the monstrosity that I have in my office to print 36" wide rolls of paper, which is always breaking down. I now have all my clients print most of the large projects and send them to me. But most of my stuff, I just covert to PDF format and email it over.
    But as for the speakers, nice job.
    PRUSA makes a great printer. It is a little more expensive but it is impressive. It has saved me a lot of money to be able to print other projects. I have printed a CNC machine and also printed another 3D printer. Those projects alone saved me the cost of the printer + some money.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mahaflac View Post
    How could I miss something so obvious. You know.... every post I put on here someone has to put a negative spin on it. But for the sake of your argument, I will play along. In fact, lets now make this the new standard for anyone posting a price for a project they have completed. Ie... If I want to know what the cost of the a BajaRon sway bar is, you have to give the price of the sway bar, the jack or lift, and all the tools needed to complete the work.

ATTENTION SPYDERLOVERS: From this point forward, when you post the cost of a project, you must include the price of your tools including jacks or lifts so we can have a true picture of the associated cost.

The CAD program and the 3D printer are tools just like the wrench for the mechanic or the DIY'er. Tools they already have!!!! But I am still willing to play along.

There are multiple online sites that offer CAD software for free +$0. Sign up for an account and away you go.

I am down $809.00

I am about 1000 prints completed on my 3D printer with an average savings of about $4.00 per print. Savings = $4000.00 which includes the CNC machine that I printed last month that saved me about $800.00......... I did not realize I had to include all this........ So lets total this up.

$809
    -$4000
    Total (-$3191). I've made $3191.00 in all on this project. I think that is pretty good. But wait

Soldering iron -$ 10
    Wire -$3

I am still up 3,028. Pretty good huh! But wait, if I did not have a Spyder, I probably would not have attempted this project. So lets deduct that also.

$9150.00

I'm in the hole $6122. I also had to go to the post office to pick up the package and needed my car

$14,500 for the car, plus $5.00 for gas. Lets not forget to add in the depreciation value of the vehicle since I had to put miles on it....... Never mind, that is a little picky......

I'm am down $20,627.

During this time I had to eat so lets take out $10.00 for the meal I had to eat.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

Wow, I did not realize this was such an expensive undertaking. I have you to thank for that. I only wanted speakers in my helmet.

New coast for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

Wait I forgot the beverage I had to drink while all that was going on. Add another $1.50.
    Touchy much?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Would ya think some one hit the original poster's sensitive bone. Talk about an over reaction. (kind of a waste of forum space) Take a deep

breath and try to relax. "Life is short and gets shorter the older you get".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Yikes- I think it was a sarcastic joke and exactly what I thought when I saw your post.

I tend to be a smartass and think that was his intention.

Having said that- I only wish I had the talent or imagination to do this. Well done.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Mahaflac View Post

I am down $809.00

$809
    -$4000

Soldering iron -$ 10
    Wire -$3

$9150.00

I'm am down $20,627.

I'm in the hole $20,632.

New coast for the project $20,632.. Come to think of it, that was probably a little to much to pay to have speakers in my helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Would ya think some one hit the original poster's sensitive bone. Talk about an over reaction. (kind of a waste of forum space) Take a deep

breath and try to relax. "Life is short and gets shorter the older you get".

Jack

sensitive bone

Spyder Garage

Default Not sensitive at all.

Yes Bob, It was a sarcastic response. Thank you for getting it. I'm not sensitive at all. If I were, I would not be a member of this forum or I would stop posting. Most every topic I have posted on this forum has been met with some negative comment or someone being a S.A. I could chose to not respond at all. I can respond by getting sensitive which I would probably stop posting to avoid getting my "feeling" hurt. But I don't. Or,.... I can have a little fun with it and issue some of it back.

Plus, I teach a sociology class and I am getting a great sociological perspective as to why people continue to post on a topic that has no bearing on their life. You know the Functional theorist say that the parts of society that do not benefit the well being of society will eventually disappear. I am know intrigued as to why this topic is continuing. Carry on, this is fun.
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 05-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Default speakers

My thought would be why the speakers if you are hooking via bluetooth to your helmet? Are the speakers to be mounted in your helmet?
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default speakers in helmet

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    My thought would be why the speakers if you are hooking via bluetooth to your helmet? Are the speakers to be mounted in your helmet?
    I am mounting them in my helmet where the Sena headset (or other headset) speakers would go. The bluetooth dongle is so I do not have to run a wire to my phone from my helmet where my music is coming from.
    1999 Honda Nighthawk
    1999 Honda Pacifica
    2005 BMW 1150 RT
    2007 Yamaha Roadliner
    2013 Can Am Spyder ST