Spyder Garage

Default Sena 20s powering off while intercom engaged

I've been happy with my Sena 20s to this point when going it alone -- basically, I'm using it for music, navigation and for occasional phone calling. ("Yep, I'm calling you from my helmet!")

My wife and I went out on a ride together this last weekend, so we had our first chance to use the intercom, and about 5 minutes into our ride, my unit started beeping randomly, and a few minutes later totally powered off with no warning/announcement. (That my wife thought I was ignoring her only added to the fun...:-) This happened several times on the ride.

Here is the exact setup: My 20s unit is paired to my iPhone 6s, Bluetooth on, iOS 11.3. My wife's 20s unit is not paired to any phone or other device except my 20s. Both are on the latest firmware (1.7.7), and were bought as a set, so they were pre-paired by Sena.

I've submitted a help request/ticket through the Sena website, but after Googling this issue, it seems as though (a) I'm not the first to have this happen, and (b) no answer was found by those who also experienced the problem.

Frankly, the random beeps are more annoying than the powering off, but obviously this is not a desirable situation. I would welcome any input from others who have had this come up and/or who have solved similar problems on their Sena headsets.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My first thought is since this is just starting to happen and you're hearing beeps, the battery/s are going. Which means recharging more often or replacing them. Hope Sena can provide more info.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default I AGREE

​I think it is a battery problem.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm experiencing similar issues with my Sena 20S; if I'm using it in intercom mode, I have to turn off BT on the other devices (GPS in particular) that it's paired with.

It's NOT a battery issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looks like a battery problem I charge my Sena units up after every ride and then if they have not been used for a while I will put them on charge first thing in the morning before we ride this will make them last all day. Also turn on your unit and do a fault reset that is the small pinhole on the back of the Sena take a paper clip and push it in the hole you will feel a very slight click and the Sena will turn off then do a full charge. DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET as that will delete all you pairings. I have done this a couple of times and it has fixed my battery problems.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default It's not a battery problem.

That was the first thing I thought it might be, but no. (A) They're brand new, (B) I charge them after every ride, (C) When powering up I get the 4 red blinks indicating a full charge.

That said, I will try the fault reset just to see if that magically fixes things. Appreciate the input, and please keep firing away.
    Last edited by bhern; 05-01-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: grammar error
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bump. Motorcycle Dave - any thoughts on this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 20S intercom

I just had this problem, while traveling with my Wife. I also just performed a firmware update prior to the ride, she told me she was beeping, then it shut down, so when we returned back to the house. I tested hers and it powered up for awhile. I believe it's the new firmware update.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MSa1956 View Post
    I just had this problem, while traveling with my Wife. I also just performed a firmware update prior to the ride, she told me she was beeping, then it shut down, so when we returned back to the house. I tested hers and it powered up for awhile. I believe it's the new firmware update.
    What did you do to fix it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default 20S

Unfortunately I have not done anything as of yet, I actually have to go and test it again and see and maybe reinstall the last firmware update

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Spyder Garage

Have 2 Sena 20S and never had the problem.
    Is your firmware up-to-date?
    If yes, did you RESET the Senas after update?

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    I've been happy with my Sena 20s to this point when going it alone -- basically, I'm using it for music, navigation and for occasional phone calling. ("Yep, I'm calling you from my helmet!")

My wife and I went out on a ride together this last weekend, so we had our first chance to use the intercom, and about 5 minutes into our ride, my unit started beeping randomly, and a few minutes later totally powered off with no warning/announcement. (That my wife thought I was ignoring her only added to the fun...:-) This happened several times on the ride.

Here is the exact setup: My 20s unit is paired to my iPhone 6s, Bluetooth on, iOS 11.3. My wife's 20s unit is not paired to any phone or other device except my 20s. Both are on the latest firmware (1.7.7), and were bought as a set, so they were pre-paired by Sena.

I've submitted a help request/ticket through the Sena website, but after Googling this issue, it seems as though (a) I'm not the first to have this happen, and (b) no answer was found by those who also experienced the problem.

Frankly, the random beeps are more annoying than the powering off, but obviously this is not a desirable situation. I would welcome any input from others who have had this come up and/or who have solved similar problems on their Sena headsets.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 20s power-offs update

I did hear back from Sena on my service request, and the recommendation was to do a factory reset followed by a fault reset.

Because (a) I'm kind of reluctant to do tasks that are the equivalent of just asking you to reboot a computer because no one can think of a real reason why, and (b) I had everything set up the way I liked it and didn't want to re-pair, re-enter, re-update, etc., I decided to try the equivalent of therapy vs. surgery.

So far, on two lengthy rides, I've had success in maintaining a connection with no unexpected interruptions or powerdowns. One ride was approximately 45 minutes, and the other one (today) was a total of probably 6 hours of connect time.

Here's our procedure, and I'd appreciate hearing from those who noted that they had a similar issue to see if this works for them:

1) Powered up my Sena 20S, which is the one that is paired to a phone.

- It powers up normally, and then announces "Phone connected."

2) Powered up my wife's Sena 20S.

- It powers up normally.

3) I initiate the intercom connection by pressing the jog button on *my* Sena.

And that's it. I'm going to see if a deviation from this process causes an issue, but even if it does, this is a livable workaround. We leave the intercom open while riding anyway, so I don't mind having a specific order of steps to do if it really does solve it. So far it seems to.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I updated our firmware in February, Joe had to get a new unit due to a microphone issue and we were told thst our firmware was out of date. We have not had any issues like you were experiencing and we have been on 3 long trips since then. We do have to charge them during the day as they only seem to last for 8 hours or so. We both have ours paired to our IPhones.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not Sure ???

Check with SENA call the 925 area code number it is local..

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Bump. Motorcycle Dave - any thoughts on this?

Spyder Garage

It's interesting because the beeping is that the Sena thinks the battery has drained and is shutting down. That is the beeping.
    It was probably only heard in one headset not both correct?

The firmware may have changed how it monitors battery and shutting down earlier? Just guessing.
    Like Apple, they may have done something to protect the LIPO a little more inside the unit and keep it from puffing due to too low a discharge. e.g. instead of shutting down a 3.4 volts they are shutting down a say 3.5. This does in fact give the LIPO longer life FYI.

Now if your battery is old or damaged by heat (sitting in the sun), it could be a new battery will solve that. A degraded battery can cause software that monitors it (under load) to not work as well as a new battery (false detection under load due to discharge curve projection by the software). This is the thing with the older iPhone batteries and Apples OS change on 10.3 and up and WHY Apple decided to replace peoples batteries for $15.

You would be surprised how many batteries I have replaced now on the 20S!!!! FYI I do it for free no charge so if you think yours is going (weaker). Just contact me.

FYI, NEVER leave your unit in the sun! Heat is one of the biggest killers of LIPO batteries especially if they are low on charge.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 05-14-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black