Spyder Garage

Angry CB Push to Talk Creating Limp Mode

Before I get started, please don't say CB is old technology. I purchased my 2014 RT Limited from a dealer Aug 31st last year, part of the deal was a warranty thru next April and a CB installed. I ride in groups and everyone in the group has a CB. They installed the CB and I was only about 10 miles from the dealership when my bike went into limp mode (this is my first bike and was taking it on the 50 mile ride back to the house), we pulled into a parking lot and my bf called the dealer and we brought my bike back to them. Super scary to have the bike go from 55 to 35 in a matter of seconds and not know what to do. They had my bike on and off for the first month and a half and finally blamed the J&M headsets and sent me on my way . Riding season was coming to an end and my bike needed oil change and check up so I called a different dealer brought my bike there on November 20th or 21st. I got used to the limp mode after a while, just stayed off the highway if I was going to key up... Black beauty has been at this dealer since. At least 3 CB modules and harnesses, antenna, dash cluster, radio, PTT, new wiring harness on the bike, BRP headsets and still no luck. Has anyone had this issue that has actually been resolved at a dealership?? I am beyond frustrated at this point. BRP has their engineers working on this issue, but how long do I wait??? As anyone knows the riding season in these northern parts is short and you don't spend that kind of money to have your bike sitting in a shop. HELP!!!

The reason I say I don't want to hear about how CBs are outdated... We went on a ride in October of last year, we had a couple with us that had a Sena wireless headset, the group was separated at a stop light and poof all communication was gone for her. Her husband made it thru the light and she was stuck with no communication... I am not going to purchase a communication system that no one else in the group has and spend the extra $$ when my bike has a $1000.00 CB installed!

I just need to know if anyone with this issue has had it successfully resolved. My bike can't sit in the shop for another 6 months without being able to ride. Thanks in advance for any help!
    ***UPDATE*** my bike is home and seems to be working!!!
    Last edited by thebner; 05-02-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Not that this will help more of a vote of confidence, I have the dealer installed CB on my RT and the push to talk button works fine. Never had an issue and certainly not thrown any codes or limp mode.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTS-SE5

Have always used CBs for communication even before owning my Spyder. My CB was installed by the dealer at the time of purchase (2012)... no problems experienced with PTT button or with CB...
    Only issues have been needing to replace my upper and then my lower cords every so often.

Spyder Garage

I had CB's installed on both mine and my wife's 2015 RT's last year. Never had an issue with the push to talk.
    John

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There was a problem with the early 2014 RTs and CBs doing exactly what you're experiencing. In fact BRP pulled the CBs off the market for a few months until they got the problem resolved. Unfortunately, I don't know what the resolution was other than the CB was modified. As I recall reading about it the CB transmit signal was interfering with the Can bus data signals. I think one of the Can bus components had to be changed. Check to see if your CBs are the latest version. Maybe the dealer, or BRP, has installed older versions.

Tell the dealer to push BRP to review what the situation was in early 2014 and what the resolution was. I believe there is a technical service bulletin about it. It would be dated early 2014. Your solution lies in learning that. With changes in personnel that historical knowledge may well be lost to the folks who are dealing with your problem. All I know is I have a 2014 RT with CB and no problems. I bought my CB used but it was the latest version and has never caused a problem.

Use Google to search the forum here. Put the following into Google search box. 2014 CB limp mode site:spyderlovers.com. The reason for using Google is the forum search won't accept words less than 4 characters.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There was a problem with the early 2014 RTs and CBs doing exactly what you're experiencing. In fact BRP pulled the CBs off the market for a few months until they got the problem resolved. Unfortunately, I don't know what the resolution was other than the CB was modified. As I recall reading about it the CB transmit signal was interfering with the Can bus data signals. I think one of the Can bus components had to be changed. Check to see if your CBs are the latest version. Maybe the dealer, or BRP, has installed older versions.

Tell the dealer to push BRP to review what the situation was in early 2014 and what the resolution was. I believe there is a technical service bulletin about it. It would be dated early 2014. Your solution lies in learning that. With changes in personnel that historical knowledge may well be lost to the folks who are dealing with your problem. All I know is I have a 2014 RT with CB and no problems. I bought my CB used but it was the latest version and has never caused a problem.

Use Google to search the forum here. Put the following into Google search box. 2014 CB limp mode site:spyderlovers.com. The reason for using Google is the forum search won't accept words less than 4 characters.
    I provided the dealer with the TSB from the recall in 2014. It's had at least 3 CBs and harnesses installed. I'm hoping the engineers figure it out quick!!
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CB problem

My dealer is the one who originally had and found this problem...Give Kurtz Motorsports a call and talk to Rod Kurtz the owner...570-538-2160...They are located in Watsontown, PA

Let us know the outcome...

Thanks, larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!!!!

I will try calling Rod today on lunch and see if he can provide me some insight!!

Thanks larryd!! I spoke to Rod yesterday. I was floored when he offered to help and start looking into the issues for me. Thank you so much for getting me in touch with him!

Thanks again Larryd!! I called Rod and let him know I was on my way to get my bike!! I am thrilled that a dealer so far away was willing to help!
    Last edited by thebner; 05-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I INSTALLED ON MY 2014 THE ONLY ISSUE I HAD WAS DIALING IN THE RIGHT SETTINGS.. OTHERWISE WORKS FINE
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thebner View Post
    . I purchased my 2014 RT Limited from a dealer Aug 31st last year, part of the deal was a warranty thru next April and a CB installed.
    Seems to me like the "deal" has not been completed.....since the CB interferes with the engine.

Have you discussed giving it back to them for a full refund ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Seems to me like the "deal" has not been completed.....since the CB interferes with the engine.

Have you discussed giving it back to them for a full refund ??
    But they don't make the color anymore and I love the bike!! The attorney I talked to said the same thing..
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I provided the dealer with the TSB from the recall in 2014. It's had at least 3 CBs and harnesses installed. I'm hoping the engineers figure it out quick!!
    Did the dealer replace the antenna and coax cable when they replaced the CB? If not, then maybe there is some sort of defect in the cable or antenna mount that is allowing the transmit signal to get dumped into the bike frame.

If they followed the fix outlined in the TSB then unfortunately you have a genuine gremlin to ferret out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Did the dealer replace the antenna and coax cable when they replaced the CB? If not, then maybe there is some sort of defect in the cable or antenna mount that is allowing the transmit signal to get dumped into the bike frame.

If they followed the fix outlined in the TSB then unfortunately you have a genuine gremlin to ferret out.
    I just picked up my bike and got some wind therapy it felt great!!! They added another farite to the PTT button, it seems to have stopped the limp mode issue!!
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

My '14 has had the c.b. since I picked it up from the dealer and it works fine with no issues as of yet. I might have got lucky. Hope you get yours straightened out. Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    My '14 has had the c.b. since I picked it up from the dealer and it works fine with no issues as of yet. I might have got lucky. Hope you get yours straightened out. Mac
    Finally!!! Picked up my baby tonight seems to be working didn’t have anyone to talk to, but played with it quite a bit on the way home!
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But they don't make the color anymore and I love the bike!! The attorney I talked to said the same thing..
    This seems rather short sighted on your part.

And......did they install the CB and all of the cables exactly as specified in the instructions ?
    Just routing the coax too close to the engine ECU can do things like that.......especially if some bad grounds are also involved.