Spyder Garage

Default RT wheel wrap failure

Well I tried to put wheel wrap on RTS wheels. The wrap is to thin wanted to curl and stick. Got one on but looks awful. Bubbles and crease. I would think you would wet down the wrap like I've seen others do so you can slide in place. Then it dries and sticks. Here is a couple pics. I quit after this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you just use water or water and a small drop of baby soap in your spray bottle?

Spyder Garage

Thee instructions do not say that.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no....!!!!

You did a great job applying it dry. Not what you had in mind for sure. check and see if you can get a replacement for those...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Well I tried to put wheel wrap on RTS wheels. The wrap is to thin wanted to curl and stick. Got one on but looks awful. Bubbles and crease. I would think you would wet down the wrap like I've seen others do so you can slide in place. Then it dries and sticks. Here is a couple pics. I quit after this.
    Was the wheel and your hands clean ? I just wrapped my last week , did not use water. I just got mine positioned working from the center to the outside. If I didn't like it I just picked it up and started over . He sends a couple extra , bubbles will push out the crease will not .

I wish i could could help you further

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post
    Was the wheel and your hands clean ? I just wrapped my last week , did not use water. I just got mine positioned working from the center to the outside. If I didn't like it I just picked it up and started over . He sends a couple extra , bubbles will push out the crease will not .

I wish i could could help you further
    Yes both clean. Where in Iowa do you live. I'm southern WI.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most bubbles will disappear. The large ones can be poked with a pin and then flattened.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The wrap stuff looks great when professionally applied. The problem is that application is not nearly as easy as it looks. Hey, I had successfully applied some tape stripe and I watched all the videos and it seemed so simple, how hard could it be? I bought a frunk decal and the wheel wrap. I thought I'd do the install myself and start on the frunk decal, which looked pretty simple. I waited until I had a nice warm day, plenty of time and all the materials shown in the video. Even watched the video two or three more times. On my first attempt, I managed to mis-align it, ruining the left half. I stopped until I got a new piece and aligned the decal well enough to go through with the install. Everything went great until I tried pushing it down into place, but nevertheless I was about to put it down. The alignment, however, was still off, "too high" on the Spyder, leading to wrinkles I couldn't avoid. There were also about a hundred bubbles, apparently because I didn't push hard enough even though (I thought) I was following instructions. Obviously I wasn't but I really didn't know what to do differently. "Push harder" is easy to say, harder to do because too hard would also be a problem. This is a SKILL and after making a second mess I realized I just did not have that skill. That was hard to admit because honestly it looks so easy in the videos. Anyway, I still liked the decal so I got an entirely new one and took it to a professional to apply it for me. The pro did a nice job and the decal looks great now. However, even with a pro doing it, there are still a couple of small bubbles and I'll need to take it back to see if they can work those out for me.

Meanwhile, I still had that wheel wrap sitting there, waiting to be installed. Seeing how much trouble I had with the frunk decal, I totally chickened out on the wheel wrap and decided just to have my wheels painted. FYI, if anybody wants to try to install the red reflective wheel wrap in perfect condition, PM me. $10 and I'll pay the postage (U.S. only) -- otherwise I'll just throw it away. Maybe you will be better at this than I, or maybe you can have a pro put it on for you. Painting the wheels cost a lot more than the wheel wrap, but didn't involve any headaches at all, and maybe was cheaper in the long run if I'd ruined several sets of wheel decals and ended up hiring a pro to install them. (the painted wheels look great, but the wheel wrap would have looked great, too).

I am sure I could learn to apply wrap with practice, but I can't afford enough ruined decals and damage to my sanity to learn to do this stuff properly. All total, I spent almost $250 on one $115 decal and even though it looks good, it's a pretty expensive decal and not even that big. However, do NOT take this as a complaint against Pete. The situation is entirely MY fault, not his. His products are well-made, shipped quickly and look good when properly applied -- and Pete was also extremely helpful in my hour of need and discounted my "repair" pieces substantially, which he didn't really have to do (but I appreciated). It's also my fault because Pete told me the red reflective might be hard to apply and I didn't listen. However, I have to say that unless you have the experience and skills to do this, buy Pete's wrap but leave the installation to the pros.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Yes both clean. Where in Iowa do you live. I'm southern WI.
    LaPorte city, 10 mile south of Waterloo

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    Spyder Pockets
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    The wrap stuff looks great when professionally applied. The problem is that application is not nearly as easy as it looks. Hey, I had successfully applied some tape stripe and I watched all the videos and it seemed so simple, how hard could it be? I bought a frunk decal and the wheel wrap. I thought I'd do the install myself and start on the frunk decal, which looked pretty simple. I waited until I had a nice warm day, plenty of time and all the materials shown in the video. Even watched the video two or three more times. On my first attempt, I managed to mis-align it, ruining the left half. I stopped until I got a new piece and aligned the decal well enough to go through with the install. Everything went great until I tried pushing it down into place, but nevertheless I was about to put it down. The alignment, however, was still off, "too high" on the Spyder, leading to wrinkles I couldn't avoid. There were also about a hundred bubbles, apparently because I didn't push hard enough even though (I thought) I was following instructions. Obviously I wasn't but I really didn't know what to do differently. "Push harder" is easy to say, harder to do because too hard would also be a problem. This is a SKILL and after making a second mess I realized I just did not have that skill. That was hard to admit because honestly it looks so easy in the videos. Anyway, I still liked the decal so I got an entirely new one and took it to a professional to apply it for me. The pro did a nice job and the decal looks great now. However, even with a pro doing it, there are still a couple of small bubbles and I'll need to take it back to see if they can work those out for me.

Meanwhile, I still had that wheel wrap sitting there, waiting to be installed. Seeing how much trouble I had with the frunk decal, I totally chickened out on the wheel wrap and decided just to have my wheels painted. FYI, if anybody wants to try to install the red reflective wheel wrap in perfect condition, PM me. $10 and I'll pay the postage (U.S. only) -- otherwise I'll just throw it away. Maybe you will be better at this than I, or maybe you can have a pro put it on for you. Painting the wheels cost a lot more than the wheel wrap, but didn't involve any headaches at all, and maybe was cheaper in the long run if I'd ruined several sets of wheel decals and ended up hiring a pro to install them. (the painted wheels look great, but the wheel wrap would have looked great, too).

I am sure I could learn to apply wrap with practice, but I can't afford enough ruined decals and damage to my sanity to learn to do this stuff properly. All total, I spent almost $250 on one $115 decal and even though it looks good, it's a pretty expensive decal and not even that big. However, do NOT take this as a complaint against Pete. The situation is entirely MY fault, not his. His products are well-made, shipped quickly and look good when properly applied -- and Pete was also extremely helpful in my hour of need and discounted my "repair" pieces substantially, which he didn't really have to do (but I appreciated). It's also my fault because Pete told me the red reflective might be hard to apply and I didn't listen. However, I have to say that unless you have the experience and skills to do this, buy Pete's wrap but leave the installation to the pros.

Sorry, you didn't have a good experience.
    Well I didn't have any issues with the wheel wrap, I do have a little experience with wrap as I have built cornhole boards that have wrap on them. I once put a big wrap on a door at work and did screw it up, luckily I knew the lady that made it and she came and help me with the second one.

I was going to try and wrap the wheels on the Spyder, Pete said it would be nearly impossible, so I listened to him. I took my time , cleaned everything, and cleaned it again, position the wrap on the rim , when I was happy with it I took the hair dryer to it

It can be done

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    Spyder Pockets
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    The wrap stuff looks great when professionally applied.
    How do you find a professional that does that? Is that a body shop?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    I had one of Pete's wraps put on my frunk. I took it to a paint protection company (Protex) and paid them to do it. It is perfect.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Any place that does wraps should be able to do it. What Pete sells are, essentially, wraps. There are at least half a dozen wrap shops here in Las Vegas. I used Yelp to find one with good reviews, then called the owner to discuss it. I paid $75 for them to put on my frunk decal. Maybe expensive for an hour's work but cheaper than buying decal after decal and screwing them up.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel kits

0422181026a_Burst01.jpgUltra Blue.jpg

These didn't come out too bad They are the Ultra Blue Metallic. I tried wet method first and wasted one of the extras as they would not stick at all, so I did the dry method doing the centerline and all as was suggested in the instructions. I also did my wifes cognac ones on her bike. The regular decal kits on the bike itself were a piece of cake, these not so much and I did take the wheels off as suggested.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    you just use water or water and a small drop of baby soap in your spray bottle?
    I installed mine last night. Here is a picture of mine:12 spoke wheel kit-Cognac.jpg.

The instructions say: thoroughly clean surface area with 70% Rubbing alcohol and paper towel,

Position design to your liking on the surface.

Peel backing from backing paper.

Squeegee in overlapping strokes from the center of the panel to the outsides.

Once applied, warm surface area with hair dryer or heat gun.
    Allow 24hrs. for the film to cure.

I did not take the wheels off.
    Deanna

Last edited by Deanna777; 05-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    0422181026a_Burst01.jpgUltra Blue.jpg

These didn't come out too bad They are the Ultra Blue Metallic. I tried wet method first and wasted one of the extras as they would not stick at all, so I did the dry method doing the centerline and all as was suggested in the instructions. I also did my wifes cognac ones on her bike. The regular decal kits on the bike itself were a piece of cake, these not so much and I did take the wheels off as suggested.
    I did mine last night and did not take the wheels off. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Well a co worker helped me with the wrap. Not overly thrilled with the color. They recomended burgandy to match my helmet but my helmet is more candy apple color.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Call A couple body shops and ask them who they use to install graphics for them. Most sublet that work out.