Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited vs. RT Limited

Just wanting to know anyone's opinion on what you think of the difference of the 2 bikes?

Is the extra money worth it on the RT?

The biggest difference that I can see is the GPS. Please help me make this decision.

Thx

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtown biker View Post
    Just wanting to know anyone's opinion on what you think of the difference of the 2 bikes?

Is the extra money worth it on the RT?

The biggest difference that I can see is the GPS. Please help me make this decision.

Thx

Bob
    I may be the wrong person to reply but..........I traded my RT Limited for an F3 Limited. The difference for me was sitting on top of my RT rather than sitting in my F3. They're like shoes.....try them on & see what fits. The options & bling lose their appear. The comfort & feeling to be part of the Spyder endures......
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Default My wife

Just traded her 2010 RT for a 2017 F3 Limited. She enjoyed riding my F3T and decided it was time for a change. Of course we each ride solo. The decision is yours to make but you should test ride each to see which works best for you .
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Default I have both

I have both - but have had the F3L the longest. I like them both and actually like the F3 better because it allows me to stretch my legs and doesn’t cause my knees and hip to hurt like the RTS does.

The RTS definately has more storage and a much better windshield, is easier to get on and off, and has no head buffeting. I have ordered some highway pegs for the RTS to allow me to stretch my legs out. My daughter is my passenger and she says the RTS is much more comfortable for the passenger. She will become a driver soon which is why I have 2 Spyders - and I got the RTS for a good price this year.

Ride both to to form your own opinion- and definitely take your passenger along if you have one.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Ride both the RT Limited and the F-3 Limited

Ride them both, if you are 70 years old or older, the RT Limited is the easiest to get on and off, and your wife will probable like it better. If you solo ride and are younger, you will probable like the F-3 better! You sit down in the F-3 more like the Harley, but it is harder to get on! I rode both and made my decision. My wife liked the RT Limited the best, so you can guess what we ride! If she quits riding with me, I will probably get the F-3!
    Ride them and make your own decision, you can get all kind of opinions when asking this question, and everyone is correct for their own needs!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your comments- We are 57 and still very mobile. The dealer has a new 2017 F3 LTD in the color we like. If I go to a RT, I think it will have to be 2018 because of lack of inventory in the area. Hopefully I can do it soon- I want to start riding.

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Ride them both, if you are 70 years old or older, the RT Limited is the easiest to get on and off, and your wife will probable like it better. If you solo ride and are younger, you will probable like the F-3 better! You sit down in the F-3 more like the Harley, but it is harder to get on! I rode both and made my decision. My wife liked the RT Limited the best, so you can guess what we ride! If she quits riding with me, I will probably get the F-3!
    Ride them and make your own decision, you can get all kind of opinions when asking this question, and everyone is correct for their own needs!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your comments- We are 57 and still very mobile. The dealer has a new 2017 F3 LTD in the color we like. If I go to a RT, I think it will have to be 2018 because of lack of inventory in the area. Hopefully I can do it soon- I want to start riding.

When you test ride the F3. If momma needs more room there is a trunk extender for the F3 now. I think 5" back. Do not remember which vender on here sells it. I think it is 400 bucks thou.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The commenters all provide valuable advice. The bottom line though is YOU must test ride both, with and without your bride, and make the decision. I like both Spyders but my long femurs cause my knees to hit the F3 tupperware which I find uncomfortable on anything other than a short test ride. U-fit doesn't fix femur problems. I personally would avoid any MY 18 Spyder until all the bugs are worked out of the new fangled BRP connect system.
    Last edited by JayBros; 04-30-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yes,I traded my RT for and F3T....found it more comfortable and more maneuverable right out of the box, but like the others have said,take a test drive on both,and that way you can see which you like best, I will be taking my first long trip on my F3T, and am looking forward to it....see you all at Spyderfest!
    " My Serenity "......2017 Spyder F3T....Silver Gray in color,Red dragon on Celtic cross on frunk,Blade wheels,Spyderpops bumpskid,LED headlights and foglights,Lamonster heim joints,Lamonster powerpoint,F3 Spyder cuff, Lidlocks helmet lock,Lamonster air pack,Ron-jon sway bar,Sara Clark painted thin blue line and Sheriffs badge, Spyderpops LED strobe brake and rear turn signal lights, Lamonster gas cap, bluetooth.
    2017 F3T , silver

Spyder Garage

My wife and I considered the F3 but bought the RT. There were several factors. First, many -- but not all -- tall guys are necessarily going to like the F3's seating position. I am 6'-4" with a 36" inseam. I test-sat the F3 and just didn't like the position of my feet. I felt like it would be very difficult to apply the brakes smoothly from that position. That may be false but that's what I felt at the time. I also felt like it was going to strain my back. I did like the more upright seating position on the RT -- that's what I test rode and bought, and I've been happy with it. Once I add highway pegs, it will be about perfect. Also, my wife wasn't happy with the F3's exposed engine. That may be a small thing but it was important to her and it does make the Spyder easier to clean.

In favor of the F3, I've read that the F3 Limited has a bigger top box that might be better for storing helmets. My wife and I can't get our full-face helmets into the rear or side compartments of the RT, and they fit in the frunk only with great difficulty and removal of the communicators. If you have full-face or modular helmets and helmet storage is important to you, you might compare the situation on the RT vs. the F3. If you use half or 3/4 helmets, this is probably irrelevant.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of us can make the choiuce: it's going to be your Butts that are in the saddle!
    Pick the one that you like the best: it's your money!
    Happy shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good valid points and info.

Thx

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    My wife and I considered the F3 but bought the RT. There were several factors. First, many -- but not all -- tall guys are necessarily going to like the F3's seating position. I am 6'-4" with a 36" inseam. I test-sat the F3 and just didn't like the position of my feet. I felt like it would be very difficult to apply the brakes smoothly from that position. That may be false but that's what I felt at the time. I also felt like it was going to strain my back. I did like the more upright seating position on the RT -- that's what I test rode and bought, and I've been happy with it. Once I add highway pegs, it will be about perfect. Also, my wife wasn't happy with the F3's exposed engine. That may be a small thing but it was important to her and it does make the Spyder easier to clean.

In favor of the F3, I've read that the F3 Limited has a bigger top box that might be better for storing helmets. My wife and I can't get our full-face helmets into the rear or side compartments of the RT, and they fit in the frunk only with great difficulty and removal of the communicators. If you have full-face or modular helmets and helmet storage is important to you, you might compare the situation on the RT vs. the F3. If you use half or 3/4 helmets, this is probably irrelevant.

Spyder Garage

Default Love my RT LTD, not crazy about the F3

Last year when my bike was in the shop they gave me a F3 to ride. The funny part was before they got my RT Ltd in I thought I would love the F4. I liked the adjustable pedals. However, when I rode it for about 250 miles in one day I couldn't wait to get my bike back. It's all about how you feel!! If you could test an F3 I would strongly suggest taking it over a weekend if they will allow it and see how it makes you fell! I hope this helps! Many love the F3 after having an RT, I'm not in that category. May I also add that my RT is my first bike I've ever owned and waited a long time before purchasing!
    2014 RT , Black Currant

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi vtown biker/Bob

I saw your other thread but didn't get around to a response. I live south of Penticton and we bought our 2014 RTS from Banner. As you said, the only game in town, but we have been pretty happy with them. If/when you buy one, presumably in Kelowna, you will be doing your paper work with Stuart Gillies. He is a great guy to get to know. Has been there a long time and is pretty knowledgeable and very ready to help out if you need him. We always have long conversation when there, time permitting.

I seem to recall that you said in your other post that you aren't very tall. I'm not either at or used to be 5'7". Probably closer to 5'6" now and neither my wife nor I are heavy. I bring that up because of your decision making process. My wife, even though she is petite, is much more comfortable on the RTS although I do like the feel of the F3. We always travel 2 up. We came from large touring bikes so the Spyder is not our first kick at riding.

I think that the other major issue is how you intend to use your Spyder. We use ours almost exclusively for long road trips. If we were just going to cruise around locally and do some short trips, I think the F3 would be great. If you are going to do longer road trips then the RT is a great alternative. If solo most of the time the F3 might be just fine. We don't have and don't want a trailer to tow. Many folks that have the F3 also tow a trailer to make up for the reduced total storage space and in fact many with the RT also pull a trailer. Because we don't, the RT provides us enough space to do long distances as we pack efficiently.

So, my point is that you should take a look at your intended use and weigh what your plans are for future use and factor that into your decision. As others have said, ride both and see how it feels.

Good luck with your decision. Deciding is definitely a fun exercise. If I can help with questions, I'm happy to help as are most others.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I have owned both. The RTL has more storage, but not by much. The F3L is more easily adjustable for the rider. And the trunk is huge, and more usable than the RTL. The RTL seat is softer, the F3L very firm. The F3L rider seat can be changed, altered, without touching the passenger seat. To me the F3L feels more open than the RTL. You need to sit and test ride both to see for yourself. The F3L is also more sporty that the RTL. Skip the GPS and use your phone as a GPS. It's more up to date. And is easily attached to the handle bars. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But a 2018 F3-L gets the new dash... and the ability to access those 3rd Party Apps through your smartphone.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Hi vtown biker/Bob

I live south of Penticton and we bought our 2014 RTS from Banner. As you said, the only game in town, but we have been pretty happy with them. If/when you buy one, presumably in Kelowna,
    Or come to Kamloops, RTR is great to deal with.

I bought my RT-S knowing that was what I wanted, but I did try a F3. I didn't like the sitting position right off the bat. One of the earlier comments was that the owner of an F3 felt like he sat in an F3, and on a RT. I find it exactly the opposite. I find the sit IN the RT, and was riding ON the F3.

A friend of mine has a F3, he just this past weekend, took a RT out for 4 hours to test drive (yes RTR let them take it all day). He bought the F3 a few years ago as a daily driver around town, but know is wanting to go on longer trips, and is going to upgrade to a RT. Both him and his wife are more comfortable on the RT after 2 hours. She really likes the higher back rest, he that he is sitting in a more upright position.

But as everyone has said..... put a couple hours test drive on each bike, and 2 up if that's what you will be doing. Only you can decide what best for you.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Skip the GPS and use your phone as a GPS. It's more up to date. And is easily attached to the handle bars. Tom
    Unfortunately up here in Canada, our data plans are stupid expensive compared to the USA, and using the phone as a GPS is very cost prohibitive.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Good valid points and info.

Thx

Bob
    Just don’t forget that much of the above is personal opinion, which while valuable, may only apply to that particular individual, Bob.
    Take a good long ride on both, and come back and ask if any of the issues you find can be addressed on each particular model. I’ll guarantee any issues you find will have been discovered previously by others, and possibly addressed.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 04-30-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ray,

Is Kamloops easy to deal with and do they have stock in the showroom?

I got a feeling with what everyone has said here, that we (my wife) will be more comfortable on the RT.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Or come to Kamloops, RTR is great to deal with.

I bought my RT-S knowing that was what I wanted, but I did try a F3. I didn't like the sitting position right off the bat. One of the earlier comments was that the owner of an F3 felt like he sat in an F3, and on a RT. I find it exactly the opposite. I find the sit IN the RT, and was riding ON the F3.

A friend of mine has a F3, he just this past weekend, took a RT out for 4 hours to test drive (yes RTR let them take it all day). He bought the F3 a few years ago as a daily driver around town, but know is wanting to go on longer trips, and is going to upgrade to a RT. Both him and his wife are more comfortable on the RT after 2 hours. She really likes the higher back rest, he that he is sitting in a more upright position.

But as everyone has said..... put a couple hours test drive on each bike, and 2 up if that's what you will be doing. Only you can decide what best for you.

Ray

Spyder Garage

All advice above is good. YOU have to determine which you like the best. They both have their quirks which either appeal or turn you off. Riding both will help you decide which is best for YOU.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for your comments Gary,

We are both short and not heavy. I really think based on the ride we had and the general comments on here, the RT is going to be the way to go.

I don't think Kelowna has a F3 to drive. We will be using ours primarily for longer trips as well and to the golf course during the week.

If there is anything else you can think of to help my "process" here is certainly welcome.

The people on this forum have been great to chat with on here. I am learning much on a daily basis.

Regards

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Hi vtown biker/Bob

I saw your other thread but didn't get around to a response. I live south of Penticton and we bought our 2014 RTS from Banner. As you said, the only game in town, but we have been pretty happy with them. If/when you buy one, presumably in Kelowna, you will be doing your paper work with Stuart Gillies. He is a great guy to get to know. Has been there a long time and is pretty knowledgeable and very ready to help out if you need him. We always have long conversation when there, time permitting.

I seem to recall that you said in your other post that you aren't very tall. I'm not either at or used to be 5'7". Probably closer to 5'6" now and neither my wife nor I are heavy. I bring that up because of your decision making process. My wife, even though she is petite, is much more comfortable on the RTS although I do like the feel of the F3. We always travel 2 up. We came from large touring bikes so the Spyder is not our first kick at riding.

I think that the other major issue is how you intend to use your Spyder. We use ours almost exclusively for long road trips. If we were just going to cruise around locally and do some short trips, I think the F3 would be great. If you are going to do longer road trips then the RT is a great alternative. If solo most of the time the F3 might be just fine. We don't have and don't want a trailer to tow. Many folks that have the F3 also tow a trailer to make up for the reduced total storage space and in fact many with the RT also pull a trailer. Because we don't, the RT provides us enough space to do long distances as we pack efficiently.

So, my point is that you should take a look at your intended use and weigh what your plans are for future use and factor that into your decision. As others have said, ride both and see how it feels.

Good luck with your decision. Deciding is definitely a fun exercise. If I can help with questions, I'm happy to help as are most others.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ray,

Is Kamloops easy to deal with and do they have stock in the showroom?

I got a feeling with what everyone has said here, that we (my wife) will be more comfortable on the RT.

Bob
    2 weeks ago I picked up a freedom trailer there. There was a red F3 inside the showroom, and a Champaign and a white (2 bikes) RT's out front. My friend just took the Champaign one out this past Saturday for a long test drive. He wanted to do the loop from Kamloops through Barrier then hwy 24 to Cache Creek and back, but Hwy 1 closed because of the flooding in Cache Creek.
    The white one, I'm told, has 0 kms on it. I am also told that there is a 2018 asphalt and black RT Limited in the box on site as well. (this would be the color of choice for me ) They may have others there still boxed as well.

Give them a call.... great dealership.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I filled out the test ride form on line ,but the dealer in my area has very limited stock ( one 2016 rtl and one 2018 rtl ). Have you seen spyders in a show room with 0 km on them .I guess the are put together and never test road .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

For the wife, the rear seat on the RTL was more comfortable that the F3.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White