Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Default where did you race

Where did you race? I used to race in the Ventura/Oxnard area a few years ago.

Spyder Garage

I am a new Spyder rider, and I know what you are feeling. I rode the back roads, initially, slowly working up to speeds around 60mph. Then I tried the highway, and I was all over the place. I found I was holding on for dear life, at 70+ mph. (I've ridden on 2 wheels for 40 years) I've found that I have to lighten up on my grip a little. Also, the more I ride, the more I'm getting used to reacting to the different inputs of the Spyder. I think your body learns to react differently, to adapt to the different inputs, such as wind and road imperfections. I've been working on short highways stints, and it is paying off. I was always very confident and comfortable at highway speeds on 2 wheels, so I hope I'll soon feel better on the Spyder.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

I've found usually when the Spyder is misbehaving... it is actually me. My brain, especially in adverse weather (wind/rain) wants to remember my 2 wheel skills. It is good advice, when the Spyder acts weird, relax and make sure your "death grip" hasn't kicked in and the input is playing with your cycle and mind. Also, in gusting winds that high... good advice to slow down or take a break from the road. Enjoy your Spyder and pile up more miles. (Former Yucaipa resident)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    I am a new Spyder rider, and I know what you are feeling. I rode the back roads, initially, slowly working up to speeds around 60mph. Then I tried the highway, and I was all over the place. I found I was holding on for dear life, at 70+ mph. (I've ridden on 2 wheels for 40 years) I've found that I have to lighten up on my grip a little. Also, the more I ride, the more I'm getting used to reacting to the different inputs of the Spyder. I think your body learns to react differently, to adapt to the different inputs, such as wind and road imperfections. I've been working on short highways stints, and it is paying off. I was always very confident and comfortable at highway speeds on 2 wheels, so I hope I'll soon feel better on the Spyder.
    This is a typical reaction when coming off of 2 wheels. I went through the same thing. 'Holding on for dear life' is the worst thing you can do. It makes the problem much worse.

On 2 wheels there is a good bit of delay between input to the handlebars and actual reaction of the machine. This delay is built into your mental process to the point that you THINK that your motorcycle is actually responding quickly. When, in fact, your brain has simply built in a lead time factor.

With the Spyder the situation is drastically different. Any input, no matter how small, is instantly translated into vehicle reaction. This sets your 2-Wheeled brain on FIRE! You get the sense that you cannot control the vehicle so the natural reaction is to stiff arm the handlebars so they don't move at all. But you cannot prevent road vibration, bumps, etc., or wind buffeting from shifting your body around. This movement travels up your arms to the handlebars, and there you go, but even worse than before. Some have actually thrown in the towel and told everyone that the Spyder is a twitchy, unpredictable, uncontrollable machine. When, in fact, it is simply very responsive.

There are things you can do to improve handling, like laser alignment, sway bar and shock upgrades. But frankly, the Spyder handles pretty good right out of the box. At least for most beginners. Especially the F3. Once a person realizes that it's THEM and not the machine. Things start to get better.

The key is to relax, lighten your grip, and get some miles under your belt. Once you get the hang of it. You'l find the Spyder to be safe, very controllable and quite easy, even relaxing to ride. This is the reason that someone with zero motorcycle experience can jump on a Spyder and hit the freeway, right out of the gate. They don't have the 2-Wheel experience so they don't have to re-program their brain.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-23-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Many times when hit with a sudden wind blast, you are moved but not the Spyder. Your hanging on to the bars causes the vehicle to serve.
    I suggest you go do what you said, go out and adjust for it. FWIW, the heavier anti-sway bar does help with sideways stability.

Spyder Garage

I usually pull over and put on some brown pants just in case. LOL