Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Horrible handling issue with major wind gusts

NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD OR HAVING THIS ISSUE. I've had my 2015 F3 just under a year (rode a Harley for almost 30 years before that). Yesterday while on a 400 mile road trip we started getting a LOT of wind with major gusts (the kind that can topple empty semi's). We were averaging about 75 MPH (I was riding sweep behind the group). I started having a lot of problems keeping my Spyder on the road when we got hit with these gusts. It almost felt like a rocking horse going from side to side. I finally pulled off at an exit when one of the gusts almost took me out. I left a message for a friend who just bought a 2018 F3 (this is her 3rd Spyder but first F3). She said on a recent trip she also had the same issues. I was loving my Spyder but this has got me worried. I don't want to be out on a road trip and all of a sudden get into winds and have the same problem. The bike had all recalls done before I bought it, I just had the 9,000 mile service and had a new back tire put on the day before the trip. I am so frustrated I am thinking about selling it. Any comments or suggestions?
    Last edited by SpyderLady1968; 04-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderLady1968 View Post
    NEED TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAS HAD OR HAVING THIS ISSUE. I've had my 2015 F3 just under a year (rode a Harley for almost 30 years before that). Yesterday while on a 400 mile road trip we started getting a LOT of wind with major gusts (the kind that can topple empty semi's). We were averaging about 75 MPH (I was riding sweep behind the group). I started having a lot of problems keeping my Spyder on the road when we got hit with these gusts. It almost felt like a rocking horse going from side to side. I finally pulled off at an exit when one of the gusts almost took me out. I left a message for a friend who just bought a 2018 F3 (this is her 3rd Spyder but first F3). She said on a recent trip she also had the same issues. I was loving my Spyder but this has got me worried. I don't want to be out on a road trip and all of a sudden get into winds and have the same problem. The bike had all recalls done before I bought it, I just had the 9,000 mile service and had a new back tire put on the day before the trip. I am so frustrated I am thinking about selling it. Any comments or suggestions?
    Sounds like you must be having other misgivings if this one experience is enough to make you want to sell.

Was anyone else on the ride experiencing what you were? Were they Spyders or what?

I just experienced extreme winds on a ride today. It was unpleasant being buffeted about like that but I never felt unsafe. My 2014RT has a bone stock suspension.

My guess is you would have felt even less safe on your Harley. It's not the Spyder, but if you think you can find a safer ride then go for it.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-28-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default tell me

since you are telling me that you rode in cross winds that topple 18 wheelers, and you're are doing 75 mph,,, i'd say "get off the road"... the cross winds required to topple a tractor-trailer, even when empty, are no less than 60 mph... NO biker of any kind, 2 or 3 wheels, should think that cross winds such as you stated is a good idea to ride in...
    i've been riding for 55 yrs, and i'm here to say 'hunker down' during times like that.... it's NOT the SPYD3R that's handling bad, it's more the operator is my guess.... jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I have been hit with winds over 45 you just have to use to it.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a BajaRon Anti Sway Bar installed? If not, you need one. I can ride in steady crosswinds over 30 mph (gusts of 50+) at speed of 80 and only need to use one finger on the bars. Now my body may get blown around and i may have a stiff neck at the end of the day, but my Spyder does not get blown about.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 04-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Great call SpyderAnn01, I'd say those winds were a bit excessive, but, a heavier sway bar like Baja Ron's will improve your handling so much you will wonder why Can Am doesn't put it on at the factory.

David VonStein
    Last edited by Devious56; 04-28-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: correction

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

has your bike ever been laser aligned??
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    That's not necessarily the problem. The problem is the rider, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    . . . is enough to make you want to sell.

Was anyone else on the ride experiencing what you were? Were they Spyders or what?

I just experienced extreme winds on a ride today. It was unpleasant being buffeted about like that but I never felt unsafe. My guess is you would have felt even less safe on your Harley.
    UtahPete, I have a lot of arthritis and when I sold my Harley last year, I was thrilled to find something that was easier on my body. Yesterday was NOT easy and am paying for it today and I don't want this kind of a ride if this is what I have to go through in the wind. Just trying to find out if something possibly wrong with it. I was the only Spyder (Harleys and Hondas made up the rest and they were all being buffeted). Yes, I am a new Spyder rider (less than one year) so maybe it was just me (as other replies have implied). In the 30 years of riding my Harley, I experienced many a wind storm and handled the buffeting and it just seemed like the Spyder wasn't handling well so thought I'd get some input from all of you more experienced riders. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default BajaRon Sway Bar

Hi SpyderLady1968, I see you live in the high desert in SoCal and you get very heavy winds in that region. I live along the coast in Ventura/Santa Barbara County and we get blown around by offshore winds and Santa Ana’s. SpyderAnn01 has a great point for the BajaRon sway bar.

When I first got my ‘08 GS six years ago, I was ryding along the coast with heavy winds and semi trucks on the 101 and had the same experience you did. My hubby installed the BajaRon sway bar and 90% of the wind related problem went away. Bought an RT in ‘14 and the first thing hubby did was the sway bar and Heim Links, both tighten up the front end and keep the frunk nose more firmly planted on the pavement. A laser alignment is not a bad idea either as my GS was sooooo far out, it was a wonder I could keep it straight on the road.

Hopefully these farkles will improve your ryde.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    since you are telling me that you rode in cross winds that topple 18 wheelers, and you're are doing 75 mph,,, i'd say "get off the road"... the cross winds required to topple a tractor-trailer, even when empty, are no less than 60 mph... NO biker of any kind, 2 or 3 wheels, should think that cross winds such as you stated is a good idea to ride in...
    i've been riding for 55 yrs, and i'm here to say 'hunker down' during times like that.... it's NOT the SPYD3R that's handling bad, it's more the operator is my guess.... jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I assumed that riding a 3-wheeled vehicle would handle better in the wind than my Harley. Maybe you are right that it was more an operator issue. I only have about 2,500 miles under my belt. This was my second longer ride and had no problem the first time but I don't remember gusty winds like yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Do you have a BajaRon Anti Sway Bar installed? If not, you need one. I can ride in steady crosswinds over 30 mph (gusts of 50+) at speed of 80 and only need to use one finger on the bars. Now my body may get blown around and I may have a stiff neck at the end of the day, but my Spyder does not get blown about.
    I was literally fighting with it to stay on the road. Not a good feeling. I doubt it has the sway bar but I will have my mechanic check or can I tell by looking? This is why I am asking. If there is something I can do, I will do it. I don't really want to sell it. I have been telling everyone what a fun time I am having and even planned on taking my 14 year old grand daughter for a little road trip. But I can only do that if I feel safe. Yesterday, I did not feel safe. Thank you for your advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Yes, I had it aligned two weeks ago when I had it serviced. I wanted bike in good shape for the road trip. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UtahPete, I have a lot of arthritis and when I sold my Harley last year, I was thrilled to find something that was easier on my body. Yesterday was NOT easy and am paying for it today and I don't want this kind of a ride if this is what I have to go through in the wind. Just trying to find out if something possibly wrong with it. I was the only Spyder (Harleys and Hondas made up the rest and they were all being buffeted). Yes, I am a new Spyder rider (less than one year) so maybe it was just me (as other replies have implied). In the 30 years of riding my Harley, I experienced many a wind storm and handled the buffeting and it just seemed like the Spyder wasn't handling well so thought I'd get some input from all of you more experienced riders. Thank you.
    The Spyder is definitely easier on the body than a two-wheeler under any conditions, so you made a good choice. And, it is more stable. But, it's still a light-weight machine that can get blown around more than a full-size sedan. When riding, you will inevitably encounter conditions, such as high winds, where it's just better to slow down or pull off the road rather than take chances or suffer severe discomfort.

My wife's Spyder has a sway bar and was recently laser-aligned but she found it tiring and unsettling to be riding in strong winds with even stronger gusts as we rode for 2 days across the NE corner of Arizona recently.

Not to sound snide, but if we wanted comfort and safety we would forgo the uncaged experience and drive a full-sized pickup truck or SUV. But, where is the adventure in that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was literally fighting with it to stay on the road. Not a good feeling. I doubt it has the sway bar but I will have my mechanic check or can I tell by looking? This is why I am asking. If there is something I can do, I will do it. I don't really want to sell it. I have been telling everyone what a fun time I am having and even planned on taking my 14 year old grand daughter for a little road trip. But I can only do that if I feel safe. Yesterday, I did not feel safe. Thank you for your advice.
    Until I left California, I was an avid sailor. There were conditions that many sailors would not go out in because of wind-whipped waves, etc. The same weather conditions brought other sailors out to test their boats and themselves against the elements. There is no right or wrong, there is only what works for you and what you're comfortable with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I assumed that riding a 3-wheeled vehicle would handle better in the wind than my Harley. Maybe you are right that it was more an operator issue. I only have about 2,500 miles under my belt. This was my second longer ride and had no problem the first time but I don't remember gusty winds like yesterday.
    I think in the same conditions you would have found your 2-wheeler to be even more difficult to handle.

I don't think you have a 'horrible handling issue' with your Spyder; I think you just were expecting it to be immune to adverse weather and it isn't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Hi SpyderLady1968, I see you live in the high desert in SoCal and you get very heavy winds in that region. I live along the coast in Ventura/Santa Barbara County and we get blown around by offshore winds and Santa Ana’s. SpyderAnn01 has a great point for the BajaRon sway bar.

When I first got my ‘08 GS six years ago, I was ryding along the coast with heavy winds and semi trucks on the 101 and had the same experience you did. My hubby installed the BajaRon sway bar and 90% of the wind related problem went away. Bought an RT in ‘14 and the first thing hubby did was the sway bar and Heim Links, both tighten up the front end and keep the frunk nose more firmly planted on the pavement. A laser alignment is not a bad idea either as my GS was sooooo far out, it was a wonder I could keep it straight on the road.

Hopefully these farkles will improve your ryde.
    Actually live in Riverside, not the high desert. I very much appreciate your advice. The friend I called is a long time Spyder rider and started the Spyder group here. She's owned three and the latest is an F3. She said her other Spyders did not have the wind issue like her new one. She said I just need to get used to it. I will look into the sway bar and see if I can do it right now. Just retired a month ago so not real flush right now but want a safe ride so will need to look into it. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

+1 for at least trying the BR swaybar to see if it doesn't help. By the way, you did check your tire pressures before the trip?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About a Year and a half ago we went on vacation to South Dakota. Those cross winds were quite Gusty at times. The only time I felt uneasy was when the speeds were above 70 miles per hour (closer to 80). If memory serves me correctly at one point the posted speed was 80 MPH. I saw no need to do eighty with the Gusty winds.

I was comfortable at 70 MPH but I do have Ron's Bar with federals on the front and a car rear .

The worst gust I ever encountered was trying to pass a bus that was doing 80 MPH as soon as I got to the nose end of the bus a nasty gust nearly blew me off the road. That was a pucker upper !

I backed off and kept the speed at 70.

For the most part the Spyder handles well in most gusty winds.

My Spyder is setup to my liking now and am comfortable driving it. But you have to adjust riding habits as needed. Weather elemants,crazy drivers etc.

Just be careful of the elements and ride accordingly.

Be safe out there!
    Last edited by trikermutha; 04-28-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Agree--

I'm new to Spyders but my first bikes were Harleys and I've ridden in some tough weather over the years but if the OP was doing 75 mph in severe winds on a bike relatively new to her I'd suggest that judgement was an issue not necessarily the bike.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We live in Las Vegas and we get the heavy winds a lot. I ride both 2 wheelers and an F3L spyder and would rather the spyder in the wind any day. I have installed the Bajaron swaybar and had a laser alignment.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually live in Riverside, not the high desert. I very much appreciate your advice. The friend I called is a long time Spyder rider and started the Spyder group here. She's owned three and the latest is an F3. She said her other Spyders did not have the wind issue like her new one. She said I just need to get used to it. I will look into the sway bar and see if I can do it right now. Just retired a month ago so not real flush right now but want a safe ride so will need to look into it. Thank you.
    If you have ridden your bike 2500 miles without any problems until this latest incident AND you don't have money to waste right now, then I suggest you put this whole experience into context and hang onto your money. The stock Spyder out the dealer door is a fantastic machine without any modifications and the chances are real good you don't have an 'issue' that needs money thrown at it.

I have over 16,000 miles on my RT with NO suspension mods; bone stock in that regard. I've been riding in extreme conditions and my appreciation for this bike grows with every adventure.

Stop worrying, slow down when conditions warrant it (and get off the road altogether when necessary) and be confident your machine is the safest, most capable way of traveling outside of a cage.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you have the upgraded bar you likely would have the upgraded heim links as well. The link is the red thing in the first picture (yours could be silver) and the bar is what I’m pointing at in the second. Also, if you have BajaRon’s bar you wll have the white bushings. If you have a stock bar your links are black plastic and the bushings will be black also.

Edit: you can see the white bushing in the second picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The friend I called is a long time Spyder rider and started the Spyder group here. She's owned three and the latest is an F3. She said her other Spyders did not have the wind issue like her new one. She said I just need to get used to it. I will look into the sway bar and see if I can do it right now. Just retired a month ago so not real flush right now but want a safe ride so will need to look into it. Thank you.
    One big difference. On two wheels you are pretty much one with the bike. As the wind pushes from the side it pushes you and the bike together. Not so with the Spyder. You have to be a bit of a booble head, i.e., let your body move around independently of the bike. As the wind blows from the side your body will get pushed. If you are hanging on tight you take the Spyder with you. Its natural tendency is to stay on a straight path, but if you are hanging on tight you turn the handlebars and then the Spyder feels jerky. The Spyder is very responsive to input into the handlebars. You want to hang on loose, let the wind blow YOU around, let the Spyder keep on its track, and don't turn the handlebars. Also the BajaRon sway bar will help, a lot!

It's a whole different experience than on two wheels.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    +1 for at least trying the BR swaybar to see if it doesn't help. By the way, you did check your tire pressures before the trip?
    Thanks. Yes tire pressure was checked. I am taking her out for a short ride tomorrow so I will see how it feels.