Thread: Brake Fault

Spyder Garage

Question Brake Fault

I have a Brake Fault code of C1282 on my 2011 RT-S SM5. I've checked for leaks and fluid levels. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

did you do any work on the brakes?
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Some times if open the caps up to check the level and you can see fluid and it looks like there's plenty of fluid and it looks close to the right level it isn't. The float in the tanks are very touchy, it only takes a teaspoon full to make that light to go out. Happen to me at the end of last season, put a drop in went out. Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

That code returns 'VCM Brake failure (low pressure detected) or Possible hydraulic fluid brake circuit leak, Check hydraulic brake circuit for a possible fluid leak' - which is the code that usually comes up when you need just a dribble more brake fluid in the master cylinder, as others have mentioned!

Ps: make sure you put the caps back on with the 'raised line' on each cap pointing aft - 'failures' like those you've mentioned occur more often if that 'raised line' is pointing forwards.... I think it's something to do with where the breather in the cap is - so point it towards the back! The cap may not go on so it the raised line is pointing straight back, but getting it aimed towards the back of the Spyder anywhere is usually fine!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chief-J View Post
    I have a Brake Fault code of C1282 on my 2011 RT-S SM5. I've checked for leaks and fluid levels. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
    I had the same problem on my 2015 RTS a couple weeks ago. Looked like the brake fluid levels were good.
    After reading some of the posts on here concerning this matter-I added about a teaspoon full in the front and rear reservoirs-The fault cleared and I haven’t had any problems since..
    Don

Spyder Garage

Brake Failure message with a fault code of C1282 has absolutely nothing to do with the fluid level in the reservoir. There are other codes for that. C1282 is a low pressure fault. That means the the brake pedal traveled too far before minimum fluid pressure was achieved. This is a sticky fault and does not reset itself when the problem has been corrected. Once the reason for the fault is fixed. The Spyder needs to be hooked up to BUDS and the fault reset. There is a process to reset it yourself outlined in the service manual. But for some reason it does not work for some folks. Turn the key on. Wait for it to fully boot up. Press the mode button. Press the brake pedal firmly and hold it there. Turn the key off. Wait for 30 seconds to allow it to fully shut down. Release the brake pedal. When the key is turned back on the fault should have cleared. This clears the fault but does not fix anything. There is a leak, air in lines or bad brake fluid.

PS another common cause for this fault. When working on the brakes. Not pumping the pedal until firm before turning on the key.
    Last edited by billybovine; 04-28-2018 at 08:26 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have the same thing going on on my 2012 rt se5, added fluid and tried to reset a few times , and rode around the block some but didn't work for me , Now my state inspection (Texas) and licence plate is due, not sure if it'll will pass the state inspection with the Brake failure light flashing. I'll try to include some pictures of the fluid levels maybe someone can tell me if I need to add anymore fluid , I have the vents on the cap pointing aft too. Any help would be appreciated , thx 53712324_358949004709981_5117844005840748544_n.jpg54080442_2007689522867076_3571474849488437248_n.jpg55611043_298299517530792_1955213123392634880_n.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevo62 View Post
    I have the same thing going on on my 2012 rt se5, added fluid and tried to reset a few times , and rode around the block some but didn't work for me , Now my state inspection (Texas) and licence plate is due, not sure if it'll will pass the state inspection with the Brake failure light flashing. I'll try to include some pictures of the fluid levels maybe someone can tell me if I need to add anymore fluid , I have the vents on the cap pointing aft too. Any help would be appreciated , thx 53712324_358949004709981_5117844005840748544_n.jpg54080442_2007689522867076_3571474849488437248_n.jpg55611043_298299517530792_1955213123392634880_n.jpg
    Press the mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons all at the same time. Then tell us the fault code that is displayed on the screen.

The fluid looks dark. When did you have the brake fluid bled last.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

C1282, I havent had the fluid bled . A couple of years ago I had the same thing happen and I added fluid and the brake failure light went away, but not this time , Its a 2012 RT SE5, 11500 miles. thx

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

C1282 has nothing to do with fluid level. That is a low pressure fault. You may well have had a low fluid fault the last time. But not this time. From your pictures the reservoirs are overfilled and will make a mess a strip the paint off your body work. Brake fluid is water soluble and can be just cleaned up with a little soap and water.

A low pressure fault is caused by the pedal traveling too far before enough pressure builds up in the system. So the brakes are leaking, master cylinder is bad, air in the lines or the most likely the fluid is gotten too badly contaminated and needs to be replaced. So inspect for leaks. Not likely but that can be done visually. No leaks bleed the brakes. That can solve two problems, air and bad fluid. Master cylinders are expensive and don't go bad often so don't go there until there is no other choice.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you Billybovine

Spyder Garage

By the way there is a way of resetting the fault code yourself. But it will likely come back eventually if you don't fix it. This is from the service manual. Of course you don't know how much pressure is in the system so just press very hard on the brake pedal.

LPS Fault (Braking System) After a low pressure switch (LPS) problem has been solved, it is necessary to clear the occurred fault in the VCM as follows:
    1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
    2. Wait 30 seconds.
    3. Turn ignition switch ON.
    4. Firmly press brake pedal until you hear a "click" from the LPS switch or until braking pressure reaches 3 500 kPa (508 PSI).
    NOTE: The 1st click will come from the brake light switch. Continue to strongly press pedal to hear a 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressure switch.
    5. Turn ignition switch OFF.
    6. Wait 30 seconds.
    7. Turn ignition switch ON.
    8. Validate fault was cleared.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I tried that several times today, but will try again tomorrow, thanks

Spyder Garage

It worked, I must've tried a dozen times but the last time I rally smashed down hard on the brake petal and it cleared, thanks again Billybovine

Spyder Garage

Old brake fluid doesn't like to get hot when its absorbed water over time.
    Just change it every two years.

Nifty tool:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcc49byjnU
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue