Spyder Garage

Default Riding mountain roads

I routinely ride curvy WV mountain roads and I worry about losing the Spyder's only brake while descending, especially with the trailer on. I wonder what effect engaging the electric brake would have? Not good I think. I used to do hand brake turns and front end throws in a car, but don't think this brake locking would work well on a 3 wheeler. But what else to do?

Spyder Garage

Your electric brake, the parking brake, will not engage above 6 mph. Downshifting and using engine braking will help a lot on most descents.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I tow a trailer also. I don't think it's possible to engage the Parking Brake at speed. I have never experimented to find out. I believe when the transmission is put in gear, the computer cuts out certain electronics that would be a hazard to normal operation of the Spyder. Mac

Spyder Garage

Default Braking

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Your electric brake, the parking brake, will not engage above 6 mph. Downshifting and using engine braking will help a lot on most descents.

Why did I not know that? In skydiving we try to plan and practice for any situation so that when it happens we can quickly make a good decision. The same should be true for driving...but it is not for most people. I want to have a plan. The only remaining plan would seem to be down shift and run off the road into the hill. This bike needs an emergency break!
    Last edited by SailnDive; 04-27-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default brake system

Just like automobiles, the Spyder has 2 seperate brakes systems in case one fails. That is why you have 2 brake reservoirs. if you lose front or rear brakes the other takes over, only the brake pedal will travel lower.

Spyder Garage

Default won't work....

I believe the park brake will only engage up to like 6mph. Those of us with the manual brake can use it as it is foot operated cabled to the rear brake. The downshift using engine compression to get you slowed down is the first step getting to rougher road like shoulder also will slow you and if there is a turnoffs with uphill angles go for them. You could add a manual operated rear park brake for such emergencies but only after you have slowed down considerably.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Am I Mistaken?

I thought our Spyders had "THREE" Brakes. One on each front wheel and one on the rear. The one on the rear also being used as an "electric parking Brake!" I hear of brake jobs being done on "All Three Wheels" or sometimes just the two front? Is The Rear Brake used just for parking, that being why it wouldn't get a pad at each front brake replacement? Also I thought our Spyders had a "linked braking system" meaning having just the one brake pedal that applied the braking to both front and rear wheels at the same time in a specific ratio? I guess I have to find my "copy" of the owners manual and reread the section pertaining to braking and brake systems!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forget about the parking brake: it's only use is for parking...
    Drop a gear, and just take it easy. You'll get plenty of airflow around the front brakes, so they should never heat up to the point of fading.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default One pedal to rule them all

Spyders have one brake pedal that actuates all three disk brakes. There's also an EBD - electronic brake distribution, and ABS. The computer is smart enough to figure out which wheel has more traction and applies more brake force there. Don't use electric parking brake while ryding (you won't be able to anyway), only when stopped.

This "one" brake pedal will stop your spyder quicker than anything on the road, so don't worry about not being able to use a "hand" brake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're kidding, right?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am also voting for downshifting and letting the engine do some of the braking.

I regularly drive Hatcher Pass which is thirteen miles and quite a downgrade. A couple times I have had the brake "warning" light come on--but that was due to low fluid (a teaspoon or so).

Never had an actual brake failure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default braking

I'm feeling better about braking now. But it is better to know for sure. Nothing has been built that can not fail. That's why we wear two parachutes and those have been known to fail also.
    Last edited by SailnDive; 04-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default A Plan

If you need a plan to make sure you know what to do when speeding downhill without any brakes, look for the runaway truck ramp. That should stop you and give you peace of mind.

Spyder Garage

Default Another Plan

Try the "Fred Flintstone Method", put you feet down.

Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this. I too live in the mountains. If I lost all my braking power on either my Spyder or my car, I'd be down shifting and not relying on any hand brake.

Spyder Garage

Last resort, hit something cheap. BTW the road that goes to the bottom of The Grand Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado has a 16% grade. Love to ride that on the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

you could always carry a boat anchor......
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    you could always carry a boat anchor......
    You know, I was thinking along the same lines. Grappling hook maybe? A rope tied to the passenger's ankle? An explosive device to blow the wheels off the trailer? Shoot out your tires? Drag chute?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That’s one of the advantages of our 2016 F3L, it’s geared lower and has plenty of engine braking.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I routinely ride curvy WV mountain roads and I worry about losing the Spyder's only brake while descending, especially with the trailer on.....
    Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I can say from experience, that the parking brake will not work at speed (fortunately, as it is simply too easy to hit the wrong switch while riding). On my 2014 RT-S, if you hit the brakes hard enough the floorboard literally drops down to give you more pressure. I've also seen that when you are going downhill there is what feels like an additional gear that comes in to slow you down and keep you from going too fast if you aren't using the throttle.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default down grades

hey guy , hope your down hill rides go well , I sort of hated the higher down hill slopes , what I had to do was get use to the loud rev-of the engine as I down shifted if I was in 3rd about to get to the down hill , I would shift to 2nd slow down till the engine would even out in the rev-sound , then to 1st if need be , depending on the speed going down hill , if the cycle started to get faster and the rev- getting higher again , use the foot brake , and slow down a good bit then down shift again , if one overly use`s the brake I think the nannie might kick out the brake warning ...