Thread: Riding Apps

Spyder Garage

Question Riding Apps

Hi All, does any know of or have experience with a phone app that allows you to define the route? All of the apps I have seen allow you to pick a destination but then decides the route for you. I would like to be able to input the route I choose then have the app guide me along the defined route.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Hi All, does any know of or have experience with a phone app that allows you to define the route? All of the apps I have seen allow you to pick a destination but then decides the route for you. I would like to be able to input the route I choose then have the app guide me along the defined route.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sygic will allow you to input waypoints along the route. It'll also let you change the route by dragging. But it wants to limit the route change in distance and get you back on the route that conforms with your parameters such as shortest, fastest, etc.

I hope your eyes are better than mine! No way could I get by using a phone for navigation. I use a 8" Samsung tablet. Quite easy to see!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apps?
    I must be from a different era: we just put the bike in gear, and give the "loud grip" a twist!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default MyRouteApp & MyRouteNav

Hi,

I've been looking for that kind of application for a long time. I also tried a bunch of them without much results...

I also wanted to be able to define my route and use it after. Also being able to download maps, so I don't always rely on cell services.

Among all those that I tried, here are the top 3...

#3 - Scenic
    Scenic was the one I used last year. pretty nice but needed more feature and maps were not always accurate

#2 - Rever
    Rever was also another one but without turn by turn indication. Even if it supposed to have it this year and BRP has it in their new BRP Connect thing, my last lookup at it told me that it still hasn't it implemented.

#1 - MyRouteApp (https://www.myrouteapp.com/)
    MyRouteApp is the new generation of the old Tyre computer application that I used for many years to make my own route and generate all kind of KML, KMZ, GPX files for my truck GPS.

It is now a web site instead of a computer application and lets you define your route, use some already made and create group of friends.

They also have the MyRouteNav which is the iOS or Android application that connects to your MyRoute Account and lets you choose the route to navigate. You can also create or edits route whitin the app. And also simply choose an address and drive directly to that place selecting some settings (avoid highway, avoid ...).

Finally, this combination of applications are exactly what I was looking for a long time.

Hope this helps !!!
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Apps?
    I must be from a different era: we just put the bike in gear, and give the "loud grip" a twist!
    I'm ok as long as I'm headed in the general direction I want to go. Sometimes you find some really interesting things you might otherwise not have seen.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen, Brother!

Spyder Garage

MyRouteApp (https://www.myrouteapp.com/) best one I have used so far.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I sometimes use Garmin's "BaseCamp" program at home to map routes and then download from there or if that does not do it for me, I'll pull out the ol' manual mini Atlas and tell the wife "watch for this road" and it works out quite well for us. Mac

Spyder Garage

1 more on the pile for MyRoute, I upgraded to Gold lifetime to be able to switch between 3 different (Google, Garmin, Tom Tom) map databases, also allows me to adjust Windiness and Hilliness settings (using the Tom Tom maps) then set defined corners and switch back to Google maps. I also use their Navigation app, makes my included Garmin Zumo redundant. I can export the route from My route into my Garmin and have both units reminding me where to turn...<G>
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Thumbs up on the MyRouteApp

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    It is easy to use and easy to reorder your list of points... start with the website and then it is available on your phone. Search for MyRoute-app in IOS. Not sure about Android...

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Android App works great too!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks All!

Great info. I will dig in and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin's GPS units allows you to create the route you want by adding waypoints. You can also use Google Maps to create the route then save it as a gpx file. (needs research do learn how to do it)

You can use the Garmin unit itself to create routes. Check youtube for videos.

Genius Maps is another talking nav that needs a little work to learn how to create routes.

Most any GPS has an ability to create routes just needs to check the app website to learn how. Youtube probably has a lot of instructional on how many of the GPS programs work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I'm ok as long as I'm headed in the general direction I want to go. Sometimes you find some really interesting things you might otherwise not have seen.
    And some times I even get lost and have to hit home on the gps to get out.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Those are the BEST rides: aren't they?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sundays seem to be the worst, I'll ride to church which takes about 30 minutes but 3 hours to get home.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I have looked at several apps to convert Google Maps or other progams to a GPX file to load to my Zumo. I was successful creating a GPX and load to Zumo but when I brought it up, it reverted to what Zumo wanted and not the route I created. I called Garmin and a tech told me that the model will not support what I want to do. He gave me a link to old software he said might do what I want, but it didn't. The goal was to create a route and make a GPX file that others could download to the Garmin Zumo. My daughter belongs to a bicycling group that does this all the time but they don't use the Garmin Zumo. I'll check out MYROUTE though. If you have other information please contact me at: zagan@cox.net

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    I have looked at several apps to convert Google Maps or other progams to a GPX file to load to my Zumo. I was successful creating a GPX and load to Zumo but when I brought it up, it reverted to what Zumo wanted and not the route I created. I called Garmin and a tech told me that the model will not support what I want to do. He gave me a link to old software he said might do what I want, but it didn't. The goal was to create a route and make a GPX file that others could download to the Garmin Zumo. My daughter belongs to a bicycling group that does this all the time but they don't use the Garmin Zumo. I'll check out MYROUTE though. If you have other information please contact me at: zagan@cox.net
    You probably need to turn the recalculating feature OFF on your Garmin.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin, TomTom, Genius Maps, & Sycig are a few GPS apps that have downloaded map data and can be used even if you are not in cell service. Rever, Waze and Google are a few that do require cell service.

The way you create a route in Google can be done on any GPS app. Touching the spot on a road where you want to go and creating waypoints for the GPS to follow. Once the route is saved you can edit it to re-arrange the stops the way you like.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I've been using Rever on both iOS and Android to "Track My Ride"...and then re-play/follow it on future rides. I like this feature, especially after going on group rides where the leader has found some really nice routes that I want to try again.
    I have yet to try using it to plan a route, but intending to try this soon.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Update - I've since found out how to successfully create a GPX file from Google Maps and download it to my Garmin Zumo. Works great and doesn't cost anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    Update - I've since found out how to successfully create a GPX file from Google Maps and download it to my Garmin Zumo. Works great and doesn't cost anything.
    Can you share what you learned? Key settings in the Zumo for example? I’d like to use this too.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

As an alternate to Google Maps, I use https://tripplanner.honda.com/#/ (Honda Trip Planner). Google Maps used to be incredible for exporting to GPS, but they've done some things like limiting that functionality as well as number of waypoints etc. Honda Trip Planner is very easy to use, allows you save routes, and can be exported to a variety of systems.

One note on using the Zumo's, you will need to turn off the auto recalculation function or the system will reroute you to shortest/fastest routes.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Since I can't delete a post I'll post a correction. I thought ITN Converter had quit converting Google Maps links, but I made a mistake. ITN Converter does a good job of converting Google driving directions but you must use the full link from the browser address bar, not the short URL from the share link option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)