Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Holly, if it is really you, and not Randy, I have a question.

I work in a hospital rehab unit, and I've noticed a rise in stroke patients during surgeries, or shortly after. This rise in stroke patients started about a year and a half ago. Have you noticed any increase where you work. I'm assuming you are Holly, still in nursing, and at a hospital.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to butt into what may be none of my business...

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I work in a hospital rehab unit, and I've noticed a rise in stroke patients during surgeries, or shortly after. This rise in stroke patients started about a year and a half ago. Have you noticed any increase where you work. I'm assuming you are Holly, still in nursing, and at a hospital.
    ...but with a close relative having gone through that exact situation (stroke after a very successful but invasive heart surgery), your question certainly raised my eyebrows a bit. Has there been a change in protocols in the last couple of years that you think may be at the root of this? Not looking to assign blame or find someone to sue, just really puzzled by that outcome, which has caused a lot of difficulties for my relative.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    ...but with a close relative having gone through that exact situation (stroke after a very successful but invasive heart surgery), your question certainly raised my eyebrows a bit. Has there been a change in protocols in the last couple of years that you think may be at the root of this? Not looking to assign blame or find someone to sue, just really puzzled by that outcome, which has caused a lot of difficulties for my relative.
    I don't know the answer. Holly may know more.

Spyder Garage

It is definitely Randy using Holly's screen name, but I am sure he can ask Holly and get back to you.

What do you say Randy.

BTW, are you guys going to Spyderquest this year?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

HIPAA regulations.

The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information
    and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.

Sorry...................... My mouth has duct tape on it !!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I have a question.

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Stroke after any vascular proceedure though not an expected occurance is in the range of 1.5 to just under 4%. Here is an excerpt from a 2014 study.

—Using the national Vascular and Stroke registries, we identified 3998 patients who had undergone carotidendarterectomy or carotid artery stenting for symptomatic carotid stenosis between May 2008 and December 2012.Among these, 2% (79 of 3998) had undergone previous thrombolysis for stroke. We conducted a retrospective reviewof registry data and individual case records with regard to postoperative complications, including surgical-site bleeding,stroke, and death. The outcome was compared with the results for the remaining patient cohort (3919 of 3998) undergoingcarotid surgery and stenting during the study period.Results—The median time between thrombolysis and the carotid procedure was 10 days. Seventy-one patients underwentcarotid endarterectomy, and 6 patients underwent carotid artery stenting. The 30-day death and stroke rate for thethrombolysis cohort was 2.5% (2 of 79), and for the whole cohort, it was 3.8% (139 of 3626; P=0.55). The postoperativebleeding rates requiring reoperation were not significantly different between the groups (3.8% [3 of 79] in the thrombolysisgroup versus 3.3% [119 of 3626] in the whole cohort; P=0.79). There was no correlation between time from lysis tosurgery or stenting and complications at 30 days postoperatively.Conclusions—Urgent carotid endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting after thrombolysis for stroke may be safe withoutincreased risk of serious complications. (Stroke. 2014;45:776-780.)Key Words: endarterectomy, carotid ◼ stroke ◼ thrombolytic therapy

So to answer you initial question, thouhg not the expected outcome, it is certainly a possibility with major vascular surgeries.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    HIPAA regulations.
    The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information
    and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.

If you're not speaking about a specific patient: HIPPA rules don't apply.
    Essentially: you're speaking hypothetically!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Stroke after any vascular proceedure though not an expected occurance is in the range of 1.5 to just under 4%. Here is an excerpt from a 2014 study.

—Using the national Vascular and Stroke registries, we identified 3998 patients who had undergone carotidendarterectomy or carotid artery stenting for symptomatic carotid stenosis between May 2008 and December 2012.Among these, 2% (79 of 3998) had undergone previous thrombolysis for stroke. We conducted a retrospective reviewof registry data and individual case records with regard to postoperative complications, including surgical-site bleeding,stroke, and death. The outcome was compared with the results for the remaining patient cohort (3919 of 3998) undergoingcarotid surgery and stenting during the study period.Results—The median time between thrombolysis and the carotid procedure was 10 days. Seventy-one patients underwentcarotid endarterectomy, and 6 patients underwent carotid artery stenting. The 30-day death and stroke rate for thethrombolysis cohort was 2.5% (2 of 79), and for the whole cohort, it was 3.8% (139 of 3626; P=0.55). The postoperativebleeding rates requiring reoperation were not significantly different between the groups (3.8% [3 of 79] in the thrombolysisgroup versus 3.3% [119 of 3626] in the whole cohort; P=0.79). There was no correlation between time from lysis tosurgery or stenting and complications at 30 days postoperatively.Conclusions—Urgent carotid endarterectomy or carotid artery stenting after thrombolysis for stroke may be safe withoutincreased risk of serious complications. (Stroke. 2014;45:776-780.)Key Words: endarterectomy, carotid ◼ stroke ◼ thrombolytic therapy

So to answer you initial question, thouhg not the expected outcome, it is certainly a possibility with major vascular surgeries.

Al in Kazoo

In 2012 Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff got mandatory scheduled breaks.............. Now, Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff barely have time to use the restroom. Form your own conclusions.........

Spyder Garage

In 2012 Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff got mandatory scheduled breaks.............. Now, Nurses/Doctors and hospital staff barely have time to use the restroom. Form your own conclusions.........
    Oh please, what planet do you reside on. Nurses and hospital staff, not to mention office staffs take breaks when their work flow allows for it.

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Come to work on my 12 hour shift (which really is 13-14)....... I dare you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you are a pencil pusher and have no clue about patient care.........

Never mind, you are probably a teacher......
    Last edited by Holly; 05-01-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Al in Kazoo
    Do you consider hip, and knee replacement, and spinal surgery, such as fusions major vascular surgeries? Sometimes, for example, in a total hip replacement the dr. may be near an artery; but, unless he/she screws up, it would not be considered a vascular surgery. It is mostly those surgeries that I am talking about, and that's my fault as I wasn't clear in the original post. I did have a patient this weekend that had sternal precautions; so, that surgery was vascular, and she had a stroke during or after surgery; I'm not sure which.

I'm just saying I have noticed more patients that have had strokes, during surgery or shortly after, in the last year and a half. What you have quoted is from 2012, and to me is not really related to my original question, in both time frame, and type of surgery; once again my fault as to the surgery.

Blood clots can occur for numerous reasons, and when they break away and reach the heart or brain, you can have a stroke. There are many reasons for clots, not just surgery. Maybe that's a factor in why I have seen an increase.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-02-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Come to work on my 12 hour shift (which really is 13-14)....... I dare you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously you are a pencil pusher and have no clue about patient care.........

Never mind, you are probably a teacher......
    I just checked this thread, and this was the first post I saw after checking earlier today. I thought you were talking to me. Or, were you.

Spyder Garage

Oh please, what planet do you reside on. Nurses and hospital staff, not to mention office staffs take breaks when their work flow allows for it.

Al

I admittedly only work 2 weekends a month. But, I am given a schedule to follow, and there is no time included for chit chat breaks. It's one patient after another. Most times I work thru lunch to catch up on my notes. If I don't like it, I can quit anytime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are numerous possible conclusions, some more provocative than others.

It's a free country, Holly. Why don't you quit and find something more satisfying? Like TSA agent, or Border Patrol or ICE?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or a teacher.

Spyder Garage

Hi Holly,

Re: Form your own conclusions.........

OK, I have,

About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me.

On 21 Apr I had been working on a small house project & I would work some, have serious chest pains, then sit for ~ 5 minutes & get back to work.

On Monday, I called & made a routine visit to see WTH was going on.

By 2 PM I was admitted & transported across town to their cardio-vascular hospital.

After some tests, I went into surgery the next day. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery.

I do not care how many breaks those support people get, I could not have been taken care of better. Every person I inter-acted were tremendous.

So there,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what tomorrow will bring, but I am a glass-half-full kind of guy. I guess you are a glass-half-empty kind of person.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JerryB;1356851]Hi Holly,

About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me.

On 21 Apr I had been working on a small house project & I would work some, have serious chest pains, then sit for ~ 5 minutes & get back to work.

On Monday, I called & made a routine visit to see WTH was going on.

By 2 PM I was admitted & transported across town to their cardio-vascular hospital.

After some tests, I went into surgery the next day. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery.

Sorry to hear, wish you the best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    About 4 weeks ago I suffered a heart attack; unbeknownest to me. Triple-bypass surgery. I spent a week in the hospital & now am at my daughter's on a 6-8 week recovery. Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have no idea on what tomorrow will bring, but I am a glass-half-full kind of guy. I guess you are a glass-half-empty kind of person.
    I'm sorry to hear that my friend. Take care of yourself and best wishes for a full recovery.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No it does not.
    As long as you don't identify the individuals referenced in your comments.

Keep it general and you should be fine.

Now......what rules your employer might have may be a different matter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No it does not.
    As long as you don't identify the individuals referenced in your comments.

Keep it general and you should be fine.

Now......what rules your employer might have may be a different matter.
    I believe it was answered that way b/c it's Randy who is doing the navigating.

Spyder Garage

Best of luck JerryB.

Spyder Garage

HIPAA regulations.

Is there a HIPAA rule for dating ?????
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Is there a HIPAA rule for dating ?????
    It's the same one the White House uses.