Spyder Garage

Unhappy front end death wobble

My 2010 RT SE5 has always had a slight wobble at 43 mph. I was told that this was a characteristic to that model. Either slowing down slightly or going slight faster always stopped the wobble.

Fast forward to April 19, 2018. While riding on a straight level road at 40 mph the front end started to wobble a bit. Thinking that this was just its normal quirk, I gave it some throttle and increased the speed to 46 mph. The wobble got progressively worse to the point that I was fighting with the bars to not go into oncoming traffic or the ditch. Both front wheels were vibrating at least 6 inches from vertical. I then slowly let off on the throttle and the horrendous wobble didn't stop until 36 mph.

I immediately took it to my dealer and his tech was able to replicate the malfunction in less than a mile. They have had it now for 4 business days and cannot find the cause. The service manager has opened a case with Can-Am.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it rectified? All suggestions/ideas appreciated.
    And BTW, the bike has less than 17,000 miles on it and has always been garaged.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Vibrations we see alot but the wobble you are experiencing is something else. Hard to say but they should be able to find something that crazy. Many front end components that could cause or allow this to occur. But to mention a few....tire air pressure, tire balance, tires themselves, DPS, all the suspension and steering joints etc. Glad they were able to duplicate the problem as so many times they make it seem you are the only one that has the problem...Let us know what they find....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Did it go into Limp Mode? Did you try to pull up a code before you shut down the engine? Sounds to me like the Yaw Positioning Sensor has bit the dust. I think the code is C0063. My Spyder did a similar thing, but only once at about 75 mph, and that was enough for me. Thought I was gonna have to change my shorts.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

What tires do you have on the front and how many miles on them? If your dealer has a Spyder with 14” wheels there I’d ask them to try them on your Spyder and see if that takes care of the problem. When i had my 10RT it was fine one day then the next day I had the wobble and shaking at 45 mph. New tires took care of the issue. Your tread may look fine but if the tires are cupping you need new ones.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Check to see what a different set of front tires do!! Even if you can't see or feel any irregularities on the current tires, there can still be irregularities in their construction/manufacture that result in just what you describe....

Sadly, the OE Kenda tires seem to be more prone to this sort of issue than just about any other tire!! I take it that at 17,000 miles you are still on the original front Kendas?? Might be a good time to toss them & fit something better.... and IMO, just about ANY other tire appropriately sized, load, & speed rated tire WILL be better in all respects!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard of a few with ball joints issues... just something to add to the list of potential culprits...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WOBBLE

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Check to see what a different set of front tires do!! Even if you can't see or feel any irregularities on the current tires, there can still be irregularities in their construction/manufacture that result in just what you describe....

Sadly, the OE Kenda tires seem to be more prone to this sort of issue than just about any other tire!! I take it that at 17,000 miles you are still on the original front Kendas?? Might be a good time to toss them & fit something better.... and IMO, just about ANY other tire appropriately sized, load, & speed rated tire WILL be better in all respects!
    .... I think one or both tires have some sort of internal belt issue ......... It is well known here that the Kenda tires have an unusually large number of defective tires compared to Auto tires .... I just purchased and mounted 8 tires ( for my truck ) ...the only balancing I did was to line the Red dot with the Valve stem on the wheel .... they run true and NO Vibes ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

This could be so many different things. With what they described sounds like bad tires, or if it has done it from new could be a defective rim. Has seen this on a auto one time. Found a bad casting in the rim. Tried to balance just the rim and never would balance out with normal weights. Sure hope they post what was found doing this. I once had a back tire on a auto that was real bad and would make my steering wheel go crazy. Would have thought without a doubt it was in the front end. Once the bad tire was replaced and balanced drove like a new car.
    David

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RYDE Wobble

Definitely sounds like a Tire/Wheel problems. Let us know what you find.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Checks

Ok, here is a list of things to check:
    tires, pressure, wear, cupping.
    Lugnuts tight?
    Jack up front end, grab and shake front wheels to check ball joints.
    check tie rods jam nuts for tightness.
    Jack up back end, spin wheel to check alignment. If belt walks more than 3/16”, it needs to be aligned.
    Have a shop with Rolo laser alignment system check the front end alignment.
    Check for bent frame.
    Or, bring it to Spyderfest next week and I’ll do all that for you! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

The condition you describe is obviously dangerous. After looking at your bike for 4 days and not being able to diagnose such an obvious condition speaks loudly about your dealer. I assume your dealer has checked the condition of the mechanics for your suspension and steering systems. With all of that being OK, the next place to look is at the tires. Tread and/or belt separation sometimes cannot be seen just by looking. However, that separation can produce the condition you are experiencing. I had tread separation on my OEM Kenda front tires at less than 10K miles. If you search you will find this is not an uncommon problem and an informed mechanic should be well aware of this. Keep us posted and good luck.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 04-26-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default RYDE Wobble

Any news on the Spyder RYDE Wobble? Tires? Wheels? Something else?

Spyder Garage

Default front end wobble

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpyder View Post
    My 2010 RT SE5 has always had a slight wobble at 43 mph. I was told that this was a characteristic to that model. Either slowing down slightly or going slight faster always stopped the wobble.

Fast forward to April 19, 2018. While riding on a straight level road at 40 mph the front end started to wobble a bit. Thinking that this was just its normal quirk, I gave it some throttle and increased the speed to 46 mph. The wobble got progressively worse to the point that I was fighting with the bars to not go into oncoming traffic or the ditch. Both front wheels were vibrating at least 6 inches from vertical. I then slowly let off on the throttle and the horrendous wobble didn't stop until 36 mph.

I immediately took it to my dealer and his tech was able to replicate the malfunction in less than a mile. They have had it now for 4 business days and cannot find the cause. The service manager has opened a case with Can-Am.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it rectified? All suggestions/ideas appreciated.
    And BTW, the bike has less than 17,000 miles on it and has always been garaged.
    Thanks.
    Not sure if this is your problem, but I had this happen once on a vehicle and it only happened after I was in stop and go or using the brakes a lot. Other than that no issue at all. I took it into the shop and they could not make it happen, and it happened again when I had stop and go traffic and braking a lot. Went back to garage we simulated the condition and it happened again. We found out it was the calipers sticking when brakes used a lot. Had to replace the calipers.

Let me tell you it was all I could do to hold the steering and the whole front end was shaking.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Exclamation front end death wobble resolved - maybe !!!

The dealer called me on Saturday and said that the bike was all fixed and ready to go. No charge

It seems that the new DPS module (to the tune of $2,200) they had installed the week before had either not been programmed correctly or had dumped its programming!

Seems like hog-wash, but what do I know? When I asked what more could go wrong I was told that the fuel pump could die! Since I recently had a new battery and rear tire installed, I'm not overly fond of the hits I've taken to my budget. Regardless, I don't trust that bike any more - it's been in the shop more in the past year than I've been able to ride it.

Now looking at the 2018 RT Ltd. Would appreciate any comments/suggestions/advice you have for me.

Thanks,
    Allana

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Any news on the Spyder RYDE Wobble? Tires? Wheels? Something else?
    They said that when they replaced the DPS 2 weeks prior that either it had been calibrated wrong or that the new DPS had lost its calibration.

Spyder Garage

Default Front End Wobble

Been busy but Thanks for the Update. I hope that you can find something else that will work for you.