Spyder Garage

Default Cannonball vs RDL - Images

There have been a few posts lately re the Cannonball seat and how it looks/fits compared to stock. I just found a couple of before and after pics of the Cannonball and the new RDL (unfortunately none of the stock seat as my F3 came with the Cannonball) designed to move me back 1.5” (the Russell recommended max for the Spyder). This may be of absolutely no use to anyone, but by the same token, it may help someone
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete, you might want to identify which seat is what - for those who don't know what the Cannonball seat looks like &/or haven't seen/sat on an RDL seat before!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hey Pete, you might want to identify which seat is what - for those who don't know what the Cannonball seat looks like &/or haven't seen/sat on an RDL seat before!
    Dear Mr Aawen.....the Cannonball seat is the one with Can Am on the side of it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Dear Mr Aawen.....the Cannonball seat is the one with Can Am on the side of it

Pete
    Thanks Pete, but what about explaining the difference between the two seats just a little bit more, making it obvious which seat is what seat..... especially for all those people out there who might not have magnifying glasses handy & may only be able to see the thumbnails??

Btw, I have ridden on an RDL seat before, so the 'butt-cheek wings' are pretty much a give-away to me!! But I bet there are quite a few people out there who've never seen or ridden on either of the seats you showed, so for them, choosing which seat is what just might be a case of taking a WAG! And besides, I really didn't want to rain on your parade too much....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Impressive RDL look

I come from the sport bike world so my opinion on comfortable is easily influenced.
    As I study the RDL it appears the passenger is getting reduced seating area especially with the drivers backrest in place.
    There has been comments on the forum about the F3L's tight passenger area compared to the RT.
    So do you ride two up and what's the report from the rear?

Since I now have a spare stock front seat, down time to have an RDL made isn't an issue. I assume you wen't through two steps of expense to end up with the RDL set up?
    Thanks for the pics.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Hi Dennis,

I ride mostly one up, and with my size, my passenger is cramped even on the stock seat. On both the stock seat and the RDL, the passenger is comfortable (130lbs), but we rarely do overnighters, as all she sees is the back of my helmet (and my back!). I remove the backrest when riding two up. It’s not an issue on shorter trips. Also, the RDL has had the driver area lengthened by 1.5” to fit me, which is why the passenger seat is a little shorter. Having said that, The Chosen One is very, very happy with the RDL seat, which she likes far more than the Cannonball.

With the expense, yeah, it’s bloody expensive for Aussies. There are a couple of options. You either ship your seat to Russell in the US (cost around $250US), have no seat for a couple of months, and wear the cost of return shipping (around $200US), or purchase a second hand seat in the US and have them ship direct to Russell (around $400US) and wear the cost of shipping to Aus($200US). It’s roundabouts and swings, but with the second option, you continue to ride on your stock seat, and if you upgrade to another F3, you put your stock seat back on, and keep the Russell for the new F3......That’s why I prefer to use the second option.

So you’re looking at over $2500 Aussie for a RDL purchase (including heavy duty springing, backrest and heating), which I don’t like spending, but it’s the only guaranteed option for me. I have tried all the other brands over time, OEM alternatives, Mustang, Sergeant, gel, Ultimate, sheepskin, Airhawk and none of them work for me over an hour. I have never tried Corbin due to the all too frequent reports you hear about quality and customer service, along with “hard as a rock” comments. It’s just not worth the risk.

I have now bought RDL for my last 4 rides and will continue to do so. I have only had to return one seat for adjustment, and RDL admitted it was their fault, and wore the cost of shipping and repair. I’m a fan, as you can tell.

Hope this helps,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I come from the sport bike world so my opinion on comfortable is easily influenced.
    As I study the RDL it appears the passenger is getting reduced seating area especially with the drivers backrest in place.
    There has been comments on the forum about the F3L's tight passenger area compared to the RT.
    So do you ride two up and what's the report from the rear?

Since I now have a spare stock front seat, down time to have an RDL made isn't an issue. I assume you wen't through two steps of expense to end up with the RDL set up?
    Thanks for the pics.
    Dennis
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.