Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Default handling

Since I started this I think I should clarify some. I love riding the Spyder and I'm comfortable unless I try to corner hard. Be aware that I have studied, designed, built and raced mainly space frame type cars. Think Lotus super seven upgraded. I can drive this type of car very close to the limit of adhesion and be absolutely comfortable. I can not do this with the Spyder. But I am 73 and have many more hours on race cars than I have on the Spyder. With some more time on the Spyder...this may become a moot point. I have a tube frame car almost done that will be very fast and at my advanced age I may learn that I not nearly as adept with it as I used to be.
    BTW my first real race car was a Lotus super seven bought with a bank loan from a bank in Penrith NSW, Aust. That loan officer did not want to hear me when I said it was a race car!
    Last edited by SailnDive; 05-04-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You are exactly right. Go to any forum for any vehicle (or product for that matter) and you're going to find issue after issue. People don't generally post about how wonderful their Spyder is (though to be sure, it does happen). The majority come here to resolve a problem, (real or perceived). And to this forum's credit. A lot of problems are resolved with the information gotten here.

Still, you do have to be careful as not everything posted on Spyderlovers is accurate.

The Spyder is different. And if you ride it like it's a 2 wheeler (intentionally or from muscle/brain memory) it is going to give you a very uneasy feeling. People who have never ridden anything tend to do much better initially on a Spyder than those who have ridden a lot of miles on anything else.

The Spyder is safe and very stable right from the factory (in the great majority of cases). The fact is, a great majority of owners never change anything. Yet there are custom upgrades that will greatly improve stability and handling, make your Spyder safer, easier and more fun to ride. Shocks, Sway Bar and accurate alignment are the main options here.

Some say the Spyder is perfect stock. Though I've found that typically these have never ridden a Spyder with suspension upgrades. I have even had some nay-sayer customers who finally caved in and purchased a sway bar kit report that they never imagined how much better their Spyder could be and wished they'd done it much sooner.

Everyone has an opinion. And they are certainly entitled to it. If you feel your Spyder does everything you want it to then by all means! Leave it alone. But if you are looking for more, there are some very good options out there that are proven to deliver.

Have a great riding season!
    I just can not see how mind can handle much better but you have got me sold and you will be getting an order from me. Only time I have ever noticed a little sudden movement is passing a semi at high speed in the wind or meeting one. If the sway bar helped that it would be worth it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The Spyder is safe and very stable right from the factory (in the great majority of cases). The fact is, a great majority of owners never change anything. Yet there are custom upgrades that will greatly improve stability and handling, make your Spyder safer, easier and more fun to ride. Shocks, Sway Bar and accurate alignment are the main options here.
    Great observations, Ron......should be a sticky as part of the pre reading for new riders....and the above paragraph should be mandatory reading for anyone entering the forum.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I just can not see how mind can handle much better but you have got me sold and you will be getting an order from me. Only time I have ever noticed a little sudden movement is passing a semi at high speed in the wind or meeting one. If the sway bar helped that it would be worth it.
    As you are a sceptic who doesn’t believe handling can be improved by much, I will be very interested to hear your general observations after installing the new bar, Gerald.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com for anything you need.

There has always been an Unconditional Money Back Guaranty on any bar kit I sell. I've been selling these bar kits for about 7 years. There are several thousand of them on Spyders by now. Guess how many I've gotten back....

I hope this does not sound like bragging. I have been very fortunate to 'stumble' upon a good product. But I remember the 1st time I rode my Spyder with the upgraded sway bar and it was a thrill! It still is. And I get a great feeling every time a customer experiences the same thing. That's what it's all about.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Great observations, Ron......should be a sticky as part of the pre reading for new riders....and the above paragraph should be mandatory reading for anyone entering the forum.

Pete
    Thank you for the kind words. The Spyder is a GREAT RIDE! I'm hoping everyone enjoys their Spyder as much as I enjoy mine.

I certainly don't want to be selling ice cubes to Eskimos. Nor do I attempt to tell someone they need any of my products. My hope is that I am able to provide good information to Spyder owners so they can make up their own mind, while offering the best products I can.

Most of the Spyder products I sell came from a wish to improve my own Spyder in areas I felt were lacking. But not everyone feels the need. And that's fine!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great observations, Ron......should be a sticky as part of the pre reading for new riders....and the above paragraph should be mandatory reading for anyone entering the forum. Pete
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As you are a sceptic who doesn’t believe handling can be improved by much, I will be very interested to hear your general observations after installing the new bar, Gerald.

Pete
    I have just placed an order to Ron for one of his sway bars. I am very interested to seeing how well it works. I am sure Ron knows it will improve in windy conditions and that would be great. I would never have purchase one except I have never heard a bad report.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Not minimizing others comments, but never could understand any of these poor handling comments.
    OK maybe my previous response was a bit harsh and/or worded poorly.
    Can we try again ?

Your use of the phrase "never could understand" leaves me a bit confused.
    What exactly do you mean by that ?
    What part of the reports made by others don't you not "understand" ??

Is that just another way of saying simply "I've never experienced anything like that." ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    OK maybe my previous response was a bit harsh and/or worded poorly.
    Can we try again ?

Your use of the phrase "never could understand" leaves me a bit confused.
    What exactly do you mean by that ?
    What part of the reports made by others don't you not "understand" ??

Is that just another way of saying simply "I've never experienced anything like that." ??
    I think it is less an 'Experience' issue, and more a 'Perception' issue. Because obviously, all Spyders of similar model and year are going to handle the same.

Handling has been much improved since the first Spyder models were produced. Yet the Spyder still has a tendency to roll or lean more than it needs to in turns. (More so the RT than the F3, of course).

The more aggressively you ride, the more pronounced this is. If you add braking in the turn, the Spyder will dive more than it should, adding to the overall 'Unstable' feeling.

If the rider pays attention, they will usually find they are having to adjust the steering angle of the handlebars 2 or 3 times through a tighter radius curve. This is due to the over-steer/under-steer created when loading and unloading the front suspension. A few turns is not that big a deal. But when riding through a twisty mountain road, this additional steering input can wear you out.

All of this can give the rider (especially the person at the rear) an uneasy feeling, like they might get tossed. Admittedly, this is much more a feeling than an actual danger. But still, the feeling is real, which is what this thread is all about.

Ideally, you should enter a curve and need no additional steering input unless the radius of the curve or bank angle changes. Not only does this get you through the curve more efficiently/smoothly. It also gives you a much more secure, controlled and planted feeling as well. To accomplish this you have to reduce the lean or roll. Which in turn increases stability.

This same tendency to roll or lean too easily will affect you when passing large trucks at speed or in cross winds. Especially gusty cross winds. Because the excessive lean changes the steering geometry, you not only have to compensate for the cross wind. But the direction change created by the changed steering angle. Which tends to change again as you make adjustments.

All of these negative effects are aggravated when riding 2 up. And the person on the rear feels this much more than the person in the forward position.

Some will say I exaggerate. But I am not saying the Spyder is not stable or safe. All I am saying is that your Spyder can be MORE stable and MORE safe.

Some of the dealerships I work with put my sway bar kit on their demo Spyders. They say they sell more Spyders that way because it improves the very issue that is brought up in this thread.

So, with all of this. Why do some say they think the Spyder handles just fine stock when so many feel it does not? I do not want to speak for them but here is my theory.

First, they simply don't mind the shortcomings of a stock Spyder. And there is nothing wrong with that. Very few vehicles come from the factory fulfilling their complete potential. That is why the aftermarket products exist. To make the Spyder truly 'Perfect' would cost a lot more and obviously, many do not feel the need for these improvements.

Second. I think if every Spyder rider were able to test ride a stock Spyder. And then test ride an enhanced suspension Spyder. Opinions would change without all this back and forth.

Have a great riding season and do it whatever way makes you happy!

Spyder Garage

​Well said Ron!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    My first ride on my GS I thought I was going to fall off. With my first "two up" ride we went up on tree lawn (front yard for some of you). Its a new animal all together you have to learn its ride. The Spyder is not like any other machine you have ever ridden. (some liken it to snowmobile and a four wheeler) Just like when you fist got on a Two Wheeler you had to learn to lean in corners. You can trust the "nanny" a little. I went into a corner what the nanny thought was too hot and it did its thing braking and correcting. Ride the Ride.

Chris
    Chris--when you spun off on to someones lawn--was your wife "Fanny" steering ??
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default handling improvement

I will also add that the replacement of the sway bar took away all the tail swing on my 2013 RT. Plus it did take care of all the twitchy feeling and dancing around in the wind.