Spyder Garage

Default Adding cruise control to a 2015 RS SE5

I've heard that it's possible to add cruise control to a 2015 RS SE5. I've also heard that it doesn't really work, or does not work well.
    If there's someone who has done this or can direct me somewhere, preferably in Houston, Texas, to someone who can help with this I'd really appreciate it.
    I am aware of the mechanical, friction lock add on devices however I'm not really interested in those.

Thanks,
    David...

Spyder Garage

Buy a new right side cluster that has it in, remove the old install and plug in the new and ta da you have cruise control. Cost ~ $400.00, much cheaper than an upgrade to a RSS model by ~ $1100.00. Enjoy

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Buy a new right side cluster that has it in, remove the old install and plug in the new and ta da you have cruise control. Cost ~ $400.00, much cheaper than an upgrade to a RSS model by ~ $1100.00. Enjoy

Al in Kazoo
    .... All models of Spyders have the wiring for cruise control ....just not the other physical pieces ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I assume the computer will recognize the new cruise control and automatically work. This is the area where I get the most "I don't know, not sure, or it should" responses. Also I've been told that I have to buy a right side control cluster with cruise control for an RSS model as the cruise control was not offered on my model, a 2015 RS SE5. There's also no return on the part so if I do this I have to get it right the first time.

Thanks for the responses!
    David...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 247music View Post
    I assume the computer will recognize the new cruise control and automatically work. This is the area where I get the most "I don't know, not sure, or it should" responses. Also I've been told that I have to buy a right side control cluster with cruise control for an RSS model as the cruise control was not offered on my model, a 2015 RS SE5. There's also no return on the part so if I do this I have to get it right the first time.

David...
    Yes it will work for a 2015 rs. Does not work on 2008 to 2012 GS/RS models. Every thing else yes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default What a great idea!

How does one google this, right side cluster, 2016 Can Am spyder rs-s??? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

247music

David...

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Yes it will work for a 2015 rs. Does not work on 2008 to 2012 GS/RS models. Every thing else yes.
    Luckystone62
    What a great idea!
    How does one google this, right side cluster, 2016 Can Am spyder rs-s??? Thanks.

And the computer will reconize it and function properly. The only thing that mine doesn't do is light up the dash to tell you that the cruise is on; that I can easily live without. Just make sure that they are ordering you the correct part; believe it was ~ $400.00. And you don't google it, you purchase it from your dealer. That is if you trust them to do right by you more than Ebay.

Al
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 05-01-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I’m about ready to do this, one last thing though.
    Can you tell me the exact part number I need to order?
    My Spyder mechanic is not exactly sure what part to order.
    Also he’s recommending a BRP part instead of an aftermarket
    part to not void the warranty.

Thanks,
    David...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 247music View Post
    I’m about ready to do this, one last thing though.
    Can you tell me the exact part number I need to order?
    My Spyder mechanic is not exactly sure what part to order.
    Also he’s recommending a BRP part instead of an aftermarket
    part to not void the warranty.

Thanks,
    David...
    David,

did you you get the part number and have you been able to have it installed and does it work?

bob

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control

What about trying one from a salvaged/wrecked one?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    What about trying one from a salvaged/wrecked one?
    Where would find a salvaged one??

Spyder Garage

Call around some of the dealers and see if they have any pull-offs laying around. If so, you can take the knob off one of those. That's what I did to add cruise control to my 2013 RS as the only thing missing was the stupid knob, everything else is there - switches, electronics, everything. The dealer gave me a bad cluster that was not under warranty that they were going to throw away.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Not trying to brag about myself but I am the greatest person that I know, at procrastinating.
    Seriously though I got caught up on a few projects in my studio and didn't have time. However I did start trying to find a salvage yard with the right bike.
    So far no luck, I've only called a few places locally, will expand further as time permits. In the meantime I added some lights to my Spyder. Regardless of what color you have set, they have the capability of all turning red when you step on the brake, IF you connect this wire to the Can Am brake light system. So far the 3 lighting guys I talked to flat out refused to connect anything to the actual system. Straight to the battery, no problem, but to the electrical system... anyway, another project.

Spyder Garage

If you do a search. There was a thread from someone that added the cruise control without getting a new control. Just adding in the knob themselves.
    The Spyder electrical systems are known to be touchy at times, and they are not the best at actually following wire diagrams while building them. Red is not always positive, and black isn't always negative, etc. Many people have messed up the electrical system by hooking up a wire wrong, but the followed the directions correctly. So I could see someone not familiar not wanting to work on them.

Spyder Garage

247Music, here is the part you are looking for:

624 710004583 Housing-Switch RH $220.99 $165.74

This is available at this price at ProCaliber.com This is from a 2015 RSS SE. This is actually a new replacement part number. It was $198 when I did it a little over a year ago for my 2015 RS SM5. The most difficult part of the job is removing the bolts from the steering column support. The cable runs through there and the connector to the electrical harness is too large to pull through without detaching the steering column.

The only other caution is to be careful when you remove the throttle hand grip. It is easy for the spring which returns the throttle to the "0" position to pop out of place.

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    If you do a search. There was a thread from someone that added the cruise control without getting a new control. Just adding in the knob themselves.
    The Spyder electrical systems are known to be touchy at times, and they are not the best at actually following wire diagrams while building them. Red is not always positive, and black isn't always negative, etc. Many people have messed up the electrical system by hooking up a wire wrong, but the followed the directions correctly. So I could see someone not familiar not wanting to work on them.
    I totally get it and agree about not taking on the responsibility of dealing with the wiring on the Spyder. Before I bought mine and was doing research on it I found more negative articles about the temperamental nature of the Spyder's wiring system than any other issue. So, for the time being the wire is ready to be connected but I think I'll wait till I find someone else who has done it or a mechanic who is 100% sure on how to do it without any adverse effects.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GK72Cane View Post
    247Music, here is the part you are looking for:

624 710004583 Housing-Switch RH $220.99 $165.74

This is available at this price at ProCaliber.com This is from a 2015 RSS SE. This is actually a new replacement part number. It was $198 when I did it a little over a year ago for my 2015 RS SM5. The most difficult part of the job is removing the bolts from the steering column support. The cable runs through there and the connector to the electrical harness is too large to pull through without detaching the steering column.

The only other caution is to be careful when you remove the throttle hand grip. It is easy for the spring which returns the throttle to the "0" position to pop out of place.
    Did you have to remove the grip?
    It looks like housing could be removed by undoing the screws and it looks like plug and play. No need to mess with any wiring.
    I was gonna install kuryakin grips now and wait to replace RH housing later but not if grip needs to be removed.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-22-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Did you have to remove the grip?
    It looks like housing could be removed by undoing the screws and it looks like plug and play. No need to mess with any wiring.
    I was gonna install kuryakin grips now and wait to replace RH housing later but not if grip needs to be removed.
    Thank you.
    The grip itself doesn't need to be removed but in working on it I managed to displace the spring. The RH housing is plug and play but the plug is on the other end of the wiring and firmly attached within the housing.

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GK72Cane View Post
    The grip itself doesn't need to be removed but in working on it I managed to displace the spring. The RH housing is plug and play but the plug is on the other end of the wiring and firmly attached within the housing.
    Thank you. For $ it cost, it seems like a good upgrade for RS.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Well here's the verdict. I now have cruise control on my bike! I took my bike in at 10K for preventive maintenance and found I needed my DPS replaced (SO glad I have an extended service policy!). While the bike was in service waiting on parts I had service order a right hand control cluster for a 2015 RSS SE5 which has cruise control. It works perfectly, there's even an indicator icon on the instrument cluster that shows the cruise control is on and the switch itself lights up. Works like a standard cruise control, even the resume cruise speed option. So, I have not talked to the mechanic yet, just the service advisor, however he said there were no problems. Will dig deeper later but now for the fine print...
    I can not guarantee this will work for your machine, but MY 2015 RS SE5, that did not have cruise, now has fully functioning cruise control, just by replacing the original RH cluster with a RH cluster for a 2015 RSS SE5.

I'm sure there are you guys out there who do your own mechanical work that could have done this a lot cheaper, but that's not my gift. I read of some people who took a 3D printer and fabricated a switch, installed it, connected some wires, and eventually made it work, but that's not me. Just wanted to post my experience so as I did, someone else can find some info to help them decide their course of action for their Spyder. Now that I have a machine that I know I'm gonna keep, (I REALLY needed cruise control)...It's Time To Farkle!!!

Spyder Garage

Nice work.
    A cruise control is needed for touring and
    highway riding.
    Cheers,
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

You're right about the touring and highway. I put 10,000 miles on my bike in just a little over a year going no more than 60 miles (Galveston) from my house. Looking forward to the Austin, Tx. and Louisiana rides, cruise control will help a lot on those trips. About to add front shock adjusters and a sway bar, but that's another thread!

BTW-Big Thanks to Al (IGETAROUND) who was the first person to answer this thread AND all of the rest of you guys! Your valuable input pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    David...