Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Difference of models

I can not get my head around the difference in the models.I am looking to replace the wing ,and looks like the RT would fit the bill . But i see RTS,RTS limited ,RT Limited ,Rt special .I can not figure them out ,i went a built a new bike and for 2019 they have RT, RTS and RT limited. What are the differences, and it seems to change by year.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The basic RT is pretty well-equipped.
    (I don't think that it has the automatic rear leveling suspension...)
    Beyond that: the RT Limited models come in either "Chrome", or "Dark" versions...
    They are pretty much just different appearance packages.
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Things have simplified for 2018 and I would imagine in the future. There is no more RTS, gone but not forgotten. There are now only two model types in the RT line. RT Limited and the base RT model. Mostly only cosmetic differences like fog lights and accent lights along with the Automatic Self Leveling Rear Air Suspension on the Limited. Other than that the both have the same amount of fun built in!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Before you buy, be sure to test ride both the RTL and F3L as the riding positions are very different even though the feature sets overlap a great deal.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

A lot has to do with what kind of riding you are going to do. The RT is more like your Wing, a plush touring model, and the best for two up riding, due to the poor passenger seating of the F3. If I were going to buy a Spyder, for me, it would be an F3L. But since I ride two up 90% of the time, the RT Limited is more than adequate. One reason I bought the RT Limited was because we got one hell of a deal. We knew nothing about them at the time, the F3 just came out and was an unknown factor. I had shopped price before we went (we owned a Harley Ultra Classic) and I told my wife we weren't spending that much money for another motorcycle. Nyway, this was a week before the 2016 models came out, and the Spyder we bought was a 2015, HEAVILY discounted. Over time, it was the best choice we could make, and the extras that came with it we well worth the extra money, since we were getting such a deal. The RT has the most carrying capacity, ie: sadd;ebags. tour Pac, glove box, and even a trunk up front (lovingly called a Frunk). I didn't think I would like it, but it also has a semiautomatic transmission operate by paddle shifters, and the Limited has a self leveling rear air suspension. When you go tho the dealer, they should have a brochureon the different models that also list what each model has compared to the next. Take the time to read thru that to get a better idea as to what is offered. And be sure to test ride which ever ones you think you might like or even other ones just to get an idea of the difference. If the dealer drags his feet about doing that, find another dealer.

Good luck in your search, I love mine. It took me 5 weeks to quit trying to ride it like a motorcycle, and now after 19,000 miles I'm able to ride it for what it is. One more thing, and right now, and uaually a couple times a year, Can Am offers a deal on the riding school, take the time to do this. It will help you get adjusted to the Spyder.

David
    Last edited by Devious56; 04-18-2018 at 10:07 AM.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I can not get my head around the difference in the models.I am looking to replace the wing ,and looks like the RT would fit the bill . But i see RTS,RTS limited ,RT Limited ,Rt special .I can not figure them out ,i went a built a new bike and for 2019 they have RT, RTS and RT limited. What are the differences, and it seems to change by year.
    Oh, goody! We get to vicariously shop for a Spyder again!

I recommend looking into the F3L before you decide.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

STMike 1800, What they said, and in-case someone didn't say it you can always consider buying an RT and add they farkles you want if you feel you don't need the factory RT Limited upgrades, but want others.
    AND like JCThorne said, Test ride both the F3 and RT models with your riding partner. My wife decided against the F3 Limited because she felt, for her, the passenger backrest was too low. She has slept on the back of my RTL.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Test ride, test ride, test ride!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I would love to do some test rides,but i am still riding the sled .Should be able to test ride in three to four weeks .I am looking used ,and want the 1330 ,so looking for 2014 and up .Is any of these years better than others? I have seen 2014 RT listed with 998 ,i thought it would have the 1330 ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Default RT or F3?

I thought I wanted an RT or RTL until I sat on one. I am 6'4", 250lbs and they did not fit me at all. Very cramped with really no options to remedy it. In fact dealer told me 6"was about the tallest that they can handle. I moved over to an F3 Ltd and problem solved. Plus I am coming from a Victory Touring bike so the feet-forward riding position felt better to me. I like the styling a little better also. Bought an F3L and never looked back.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

I would love to do some test rides,but i am still riding the sled .Should be able to test ride in three to four weeks .I am looking used ,and want the 1330 ,so looking for 2014 and up .Is any of these years better than others? I have seen 2014 RT listed with 998 ,i thought it would have the 1330 ?

All RT from 2014 to current are 1330 triple engines. There are some 2014 and 15 ST models that had the 998. All F3 have the 1330.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Good choice going with the 1330. So in 2014-17 there was the Base Rt which has silver/gray accent pieces and what we call "old style fenders", it does not have the rear air bag or analog gauges. The RTS model for those years have black pieces instead of the gray, including black wheels, it has the rear air bag and analog gauges. The RTS-SS was available in 15 & 16 and it is the same as the RTS but some of the plastic pieces are black where they would be in color on the other model. The RT Ltd has chrome wheels and chrome accents where the others are black or gray and it comes with a GPS. Also, the RT base and RTS were available in SM-6 (manual transmission)

Happy hunting, but like the others said I'd take a look at the F3T or Ltd too.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am now an RT person. Have had three. Two still in the stable.

The three designations RT, RT-S, and RT-L are levels of add ons that come with the package. Note the prices as the models go up the scale.

The RT is the basic package. The RT-S comes with driving lights, adjustable suspension, and plasticized chrome trims. The RT-L comes with a Garmin and real chrome.

I have had one L--the 2010 premier edition. One basic--the 2011 A & C edition. One S (the 2014)--which I prefer. I do not wish to pay $2K plus for chrome and navigation.

Test ride to see what you like. PS--the RT is closest to the Wing. Do you want a Wing replacement that is "basic" or decked out to the max? Many farkles can be added on--but a package including the farkles you like best is less. The F-3 is more "cruiser" oriented--but they do look very sharp. More for one up riding--IMO.

Happy Shopping.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-18-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Test ride, test ride, test ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What fits your ryding style best

My wife and I have two Spyders. Hers is a 2016 RT-L mostly because she likes the adjustable airbag and the upright riding position. I have a 2016 F3T which I like because of the more leg forward riding position. So like many have said ride both or at least sit on both and see what you like best. The moral of my story is it is all personal preference, we are both about the same height and size but we have very different preferences. I had to take her bike in today for a warranty issue and it reminded me why I love my F3. My wife's first bike was a 2013 RT-S with the 998. I would avoid anything pre-2014 if you can because of the smaller engine and SE5 trans.

Happy riding whatever you chose and happy hunting.
    2016 F3-T , Lamonster break pedal extender White

Spyder Garage

Where about's are you located in on.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT ....No Airbag

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Good choice going with the 1330. So in 2014-17 there was the Base Rt which has silver/gray accent pieces and what we call "old style fenders", it does not have the rear air bag or analog gauges. The RTS model for those years have black pieces instead of the gray, including black wheels, it has the rear air bag and analog gauges. The RTS-SS was available in 15 & 16 and it is the same as the RTS but some of the plastic pieces are black where they would be in color on the other model. The RT Ltd has chrome wheels and chrome accents where the others are black or gray and it comes with a GPS. Also, the RT base and RTS were available in SM-6 (manual transmission)

Happy hunting, but like the others said I'd take a look at the F3T or Ltd too.
    ALL RT spyder have Air bags in the rear suspension ,,,,, but only some are Auto-matic ..... the Base RT's are Manual fill ............Mike

Spyder Garage

Mine is the RTS with the Special designation. I was told by the dealer that Special refers to the color scheme which on mine is a combination of Matte and Polished finish.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ALL RT spyder have Air bags in the rear suspension ,,,,, but only some are Auto-matic ..... the Base RT's are Manual fill ............Mike
    And I know that, it was early and my brain wasn’t functioning at 100%. Thanks for the correction.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Where about's are you located in on.
    I live in the Timmins area ,still have three feet of snow in the bush,and it is - 8 C this am .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Mine is the RTS with the Special designation. I was told by the dealer that Special refers to the color scheme which on mine is a combination of Matte and Polished finish.

Nice looking bike ,love the colors and no chrome . My wing is loaded with chrome and i am getting sick of the cleaning.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Limited use daily to have a few more differences that were not discussed, on the 2018 models, you would have to check.

Added chrome trim, or black out chrome on the 2018
    Heated grips.
    Cruise
    GPS, but on the 2018 it is now all in the dash.
    The adjustable on the fly suspension system is a big deal for me.
    There used to be a frunk roller bag for traveling.
    Radio was standard on the Limited I don't know about lower models today.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AUTO AIR BAG

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post

The " Special " designation is for the Paint ........... However if you have an RT-S model it has the auto compressor feature...... if you don't hear it so cycling on/off it may be broken ?????........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The " Special " designation is for the Paint ........... However if you have an RT-S model it has the auto compressor feature...... if you don't hear it so cycling on/off it may be broken ?????........ Mike
    You are correct sir, mine is an RT Special as the compressor is manual.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

I live in the Timmins area ,still have three feet of snow in the bush,and it is - 8 C this am .
    If you go to Team Vincent website in Ayr Ont they have a 2014 RT Limited 1330 SE6 with a color matching trailer with only 14000 km or 9500 miles for a very good price I think.

2015 RT Limited