Spyder Garage

Default se6 oil change o rings

What do the colors mean for the o rings? I received my oil change kit today. I am doing my own oil change tomorrow morning what do the different colors mean for the O rings? I have green, red and black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default rings

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    What do the colors mean for the o rings? I received my oil change kit today. I am doing my own oil change tomorrow morning what do the different colors mean for the O rings? I have green, red and black
    I think the green and red ones are a different thickness ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Just watch where each color goes when you take the plugs out of the engine/transmission.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I always do my own oil changes and I've bought numerous kits and the o-rings have come in the colors you described. As far as I can tell color doesn't mean much, but the sizing is important. Eyeballing should be good enough to ensure the right size is used by just taking one off at a time and replacing it immediately with the identically sized o-ring.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I got my kit from Baja Ron yesterday. looks like Blueknight is right, the red ones are thinner than the black ones. there are different sizes of each color for the 2 different size plugs. Also a copper washer and an aluminum crush washer it looks like. Its not rocket science, just mach the size to the plug. What is more important is to use the right tool to remove the different plugs to avoid stripping the plug and seat the toll all the way in before cranking it. One is an allen, the other is a torx.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you're using BRP parts, the green O-ring is the larger of the two that go on the oil sump plug ant it should go in the groove closest to the plug head. Using other than BRP parts, as others have said sizing them is easy and the fatter one goes closer to the plug head. The threads on the OEM plug are very sharp so I put painters tape on the plug before installing the O-rings and install the ring farthest from the head first so you don't have to dig the fatter one out of the first groove on its way to its proper groove.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Another thing is to verify that you have the right kit for your enjine. Baja Ron mistakenly sent me a 1330 kit for my ST once. He isnt perfect but will send you the correct one right away.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Tip List

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you're using BRP parts, the green O-ring is the larger of the two that go on the oil sump plug ant it should go in the groove closest to the plug head. Using other than BRP parts, as others have said sizing them is easy and the fatter one goes closer to the plug head. The threads on the OEM plug are very sharp so I put painters tape on the plug before installing the O-rings and install the ring farthest from the head first so you don't have to dig the fatter one out of the first groove on its way to its proper groove.
    It would be really nice if someone would create a tip list when doing oil changes for those of us who have no experience and no one close by in case we get into a bind.

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default allen and torx

Well I got everything set up and put a mirror under the drain hole so I could see which one was allen and which was torx and found out the allen looks rounded. the allen fits in it though. hummm my 9000k service last year gave me something xtra. thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think the green and red ones are a different thickness ............ Mike
    thank you. my husband and I went to home depot and bought a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in toilet plumbing, a straight flexible rubber dohicky(dont know the proper terminology) that is 3 inches long for $3.99..that went up in the hole and caused the oil to run straight out not on an angle. I will put a picture here of the item and how we notched it to fit, when we actually do the oil change. We bought an oil pan from pep boys that actually catches the oil from both drain plugs. We had to get my bike set up on the lift table today first. On the lift table we used two ramps rated at 13000 lbs for $39 from harbor freight and a scissor jack that came with the lift table to level the bike so the oil will drain better (he says), tied bike down to keep from moving because we found that the brake only engages the rear tire. We did not know this. Its a learning experience. My next question was is there a sequence for removing the trans oil plug and reg oil plug. just asking. riding tomorrow and doc appt thurs...so this oil change has been backed up to Friday morning...I still need an 1/2, 6pt, 36m socket to remove the oil filter cap???? and yes we are changing the fuel filter while the tupperware is off. not using those fakaka clips though bought some fuel injection clamps.
    How about that 36mm socket 6pt 1/2 in drive for filter cap...do I need a low profile for that or will regular do the job?
    questions I have questions...lol sorry....if its an inconvenience...
    Last edited by marty1096; 04-17-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    It would be really nice if someone would create a tip list when doing oil changes for those of us who have no experience and no one close by in case we get into a bind.
    by the time I get through asking all the dumb questions no one thought, knew or were afraid to ask this should be a good link for info on changing oil on a 1330.
    because if I had bought an aftermarket kit I wouldn't have known they come in colors for a reason...now I know and still trying to find out what the colors mean instead of "just take them off and place them back on the way they were installed." Must be a reason they are color coded. temp rating, thickness, type of material....curious minds want to know...well at least I did.....lol

Spyder Garage

Default yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I got my kit from Baja Ron yesterday. looks like Blueknight is right, the red ones are thinner than the black ones. there are different sizes of each color for the 2 different size plugs. Also a copper washer and an aluminum crush washer it looks like. Its not rocket science, just mach the size to the plug. What is more important is to use the right tool to remove the different plugs to avoid stripping the plug and seat the toll all the way in before cranking it. One is an allen, the other is a torx.
    I never worked on cars nor did oil changes but did work in a power plant for almost 30 years have mechanical skills but know nothing of oil changes. the mechanics did oil changes. So I am asking loads of questions about a 30k machine I have no intentions of screwing up. your tips and info are greatly appreciated. thank you

Spyder Garage

Default color

a friend sent me this: TMI (too much info).....I think they both (red and green) have the same qualities but are just designating different sizes/thicknesses....by color like blueknight said

Red O-Rings Buna-N - Nitrile (NBR) Duro 70:

Nitrile, also known as Buna-N or NBR, is a copolymer of Butadiene and Acrylonitirle. It is the most commonly used elastomer for sealing products. It has a temperature range of -40F to +250F and is exceptionally resistant to petroleum base oils and hydrocarbon fuels. Nitrile materials also exhibit excellent tensile strength and abrasion resistance properties. The material performs well with most dilute acids, silicone oils and lubricants and in water applications. It is not recommended for use with ketones, aromatic hydrocarbons and phosphate ester hydraulic fluids. More than 50% of the Orings sold are Buna-N Orings, commonly used in hydraulic/pneumatic motors, cylinders, pumps and valves.
    Buna-N / Nitrile Recommended uses:

• General purpose sealing.
    • Petroleum oils and fluids.
    • Gasoline
    • Hydraulic fluids
    • L.P. gases
    • Cold Water.
    • Silicone greases and oils
    • Di-ester base lubricants (MIL-L-7808).
    • Ethylene glycol base fluids (Hydrolubes)

Nitrile is not recommended for:

• Halogenated hydrocarbons (carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene)
    • Nitro hydrocarbons (nitrobenzene, aniline)
    • Phosphate ester hydraulic fluids (Skydrol, Fyrquel, Pydraul).
    • Ketones (MEK, acetone)
    • Ozone
    • Sunlight, UV
    • Weather
    • Strong Acids Ozone
    • Automotive brake fluid

Operating temperature: -40° to +250F°
    Last edited by marty1096; 04-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

...My next question was is there a sequence for removing the trans oil plug and reg oil plug. just asking...
    How about that 36mm socket 6pt 1/2 in drive for filter cap...do I need a low profile for that or will regular do the job?
    questions I have questions...lol sorry....if its an inconvenience...
    Since you purchased a drain pan that allows you to drain both plugs at once you're in great shape. There is no sequence on which plug to do first but you will get more out of the oil sump plug.

A standard 1/2" drive 6pt socket and ratchet is fine for the oil filter cap. Be certain not to put the clutch cover plug back in until you have opened the oil filter cap. When you do open it you will hear more oil running into the drain pan and there will be only a little left in the oil filter canister to wipe out.

If you watch Shawn Smoak's video at this link,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb...ature=youtu.be, you will learn a short cut that saves having to remove the right side body panel; it's very handy.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Socket

Since you purchased a drain pan that allows you to drain both plugs at once you're in great shape. There is no sequence on which plug to do first but you will get more out of the oil sump plug.

A standard 1/2" drive 6pt socket and ratchet is fine for the oil filter cap. Be certain not to put the clutch cover plug back in until you have opened the oil filter cap. When you do open it you will hear more oil running into the drain pan and there will be only a little left in the oil filter canister to wipe out.

If you watch Shawn Smoak's video at this link,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb...ature=youtu.be, you will learn a short cut that saves having to remove the right side body panel; it's very handy.
    Waiting on 36m 1/2 drive 6pt should be here tomorrow. Thanks for video

Spyder Garage

Default What size goes where??

I do the service on my wife's 2014 RT SE automatic. We always buy our stuff from vendors on this site. The stealer is an untrustworthy jerk.

Question for Baja Ron-- I suppose you buy your filters & o-rings in bulk. Could you please verify the size of each o-ring?? Last time I did an oil change, one of them was shreaded. I own a good caliper & micrometer. WHAT SIZE GOES WHERE???? A list of sizes or individually poly-bagging each piece would REALLY HELP!!
    Shirley G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same question first time I did the oil change. One of the drain plugs has two o-rings. The other two go on the shaft of the oil filter cap. I put the plug and shaft on my work bench with the old rings still in place and compared them with the new ones. It was fairly apparent which ones went where, although the colors don't match.

It would be nice if the rings were labeled in some way but they're not. Here's some pics from when I did it.
    Spyder old O-rings.jpg These are the O-rings; note the different sizes (very slight)
    Spyder oil filter cap with O-rings.jpg This is the oil filter canister cap with O-rings on the shaft. There may be a difference in size, but I couldn't really see it.
    Spyder drain plug.jpg This is the drain plug that has two O-rings on it. If you look closely, you can see the O-ring grooves are slightly different diameter.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-28-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

bump....updated my post with pics
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Can we reuse the O'rings if the Orings are not cut or damage?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japs View Post
    Can we reuse the O'rings if the Orings are not cut or damage?
    I've done 12 oil changes on my 14 RT...... it doesn't leak, and I'll keep using them until something fails ./....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've done 12 oil changes on my 14 RT...... it doesn't leak, and I'll keep using them until something fails ./....Mike
    Thanks for your feedback Blueknight.

Spyder Garage

No matter which way you do it. The most important thing is to do it (1) O-Ring at a time. Compare both size and diameter. Those who pull all the O-Rings off and then try to figure out which one goes where can run into problems. Correct size is much more important that color.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...