Thread: Autocycle???

Spyder Garage

Default Autocycle???

I was in a group ride last weekend and there was another rider on his 2017 F3 Ltd.
    I noticed his license plate was labeled "AUTOCYCLE", while mine (obtained in January of this year) is labeled "MOTORCYCLE".
    I asked and he said it was a new New Jersey designation for all 3-wheelers.
    Upon further research via NJMVC, I find...

<<<<
    A new motor vehicle type has been defined pursuant to P.L.2016, Chapter 35, designating certain three-wheeled motor vehicles as autocycles.
    >>>>

I dig a little further and find...
    <<<<
    Autocycles must have seat belts for the operator and passenger. Children who are required to be in child restraint systems are not permitted as passengers.
    >>>>

And further...
    <<<<
    Prior to mid - 2017, autocycles were issued a motorcycle license plate. Upon renewal they will be issued an autocycle plate. If you registered an autocycle prior to mid - 2017, you will be required, upon renewal, to surrender your motorcycle plate at an MVC agency to obtain your new autocycle plate.
    >>>>

And further still...
    <<<<
    What is the difference between an autocycle and a trike?
    The main difference is that an autocycle has a steering wheel and a trike has handle bars. Another difference is that, in an autocycle the driver and passenger sit side by side, unlike a trike.
    >>>>

All above info via the NJMVC site and faq's from the site, not general web searches.
    So...it seems to me this mainly applies to vehicles such as the Slingshot, Elio and T-Rex (which will soon be selling an Electric version for, get this...$66,000!!!)
    Any others states have a specific designation like this?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

wow how weird can ams dont have seatbelts

Spyder Garage

I think maybe you should take this info and pictures to your MVC/DMV or whatever and see if you can get this clarified. I think some clerk must have screwed up with the other guys registration, or maybe a dealer could clear it up for you.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

there is an autocycle on our clothes dryer-is that the same?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just call mine "fun", and couldn't care less what any governmental agency chooses to...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ooops...!!

I think it is all over the US that the autocycle are all the three wheeled cars. You know seated with a seatbelt and a steering wheel not straddling a seat with handlebars. Someone did mess up on that one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Autocycle.... Think Polaris Slingshot or Morgan 3 wheelers, the ones with a Steering Wheel and side by side seating and ... seat belts, but the F3 should still have been motorcycle tags (handlebars, inline seating, no belts) .....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Agreed...and I'm not sayin' nuthin' to those MVC folks...let the other guy put a seatbelt on his F3
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I was in a group ride last weekend and there was another rider on his 2017 F3 Ltd.
    I noticed his license plate was labeled "AUTOCYCLE", while mine (obtained in January of this year) is labeled "MOTORCYCLE".
    New Joisey seems to be a bit off kilter compared to other states which have created a new class of vehicle.

Originally, an "autocycle" was a three-wheeled vehicle with a steering wheel and other controls like a car (clutch if so equipped, foot brake) in which the driver sat IN rather than ON and had seat belts. With this definition, clearly the Spyder does not fit autocycle.

Most states having the autocycle designation also did not require the driver to wear head protection nor did they have to have a special motorcycle license.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prisondude View Post
    wow how weird can ams dont have seatbelts
    Spyders don't have seat belts but other Can Am products do.

You would not want a seat belt on a Spyder for the same reason you would not want them on a motorcycle. If that sucker turns over you want to get off it and not ride it to disaster.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that someone screwed up on your license plate. Around here, people frequently confuse Spyders with Sling Shots. By that I mean, when discussing what I ride when they haven't seen it, they knowingly smile, pleased that they're talking my vernacular, then chat about Sling Shots until I correct them. When I renewed my registration at the SOS office a few weeks ago, I had to correct the gal behind the counter.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

In CT, Spyders are registered as motorcycles, as you sit astride the seat. Slingshots are registered as "Autocars" as you sit in the seat.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post

<<<<
    A new motor vehicle type has been defined pursuant to P.L.2016, Chapter 35, designating certain three-wheeled motor vehicles as autocycles.
    >>>>

I dig a little further and find...
    <<<<
    Autocycles must have seat belts for the operator and passenger. Children who are required to be in child restraint systems are not permitted as passengers.
    >>>>

And further...
    <<<<
    Prior to mid - 2017, autocycles were issued a motorcycle license plate. Upon renewal they will be issued an autocycle plate. If you registered an autocycle prior to mid - 2017, you will be required, upon renewal, to surrender your motorcycle plate at an MVC agency to obtain your new autocycle plate.
    >>>>

And further still...
    <<<<
    What is the difference between an autocycle and a trike?
    The main difference is that an autocycle has a steering wheel and a trike has handle bars. Another difference is that, in an autocycle the driver and passenger sit side by side, unlike a trike.
    >>>>

All above info via the NJMVC site and faq's from the site, not general web searches.
    So...it seems to me this mainly applies to vehicles such as the Slingshot, Elio and T-Rex (which will soon be selling an Electric version for, get this...$66,000!!!)
    Any others states have a specific designation like this?
    Maryland does and requires helmets as well. After all, the Slingshot is a 3-wheeled, 2-passenger hybrid car/cycle IMHO.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Elio doesn't require seatbelts it requires production

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BINGO !!!!!!
    I paid my deposit 4 years ago and still waiting....... I contacted them and said I would love to
    have mine sometime before I'm DEAD.....

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Elio doesn't require seatbelts it requires production