Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    right....which is why Im going to rent a spring compressor from advance auto.
    The spring compressor from the auto store is for larger diameter coil springs and do not work well with the smaller diameter springs. I tried those first. They scratched the shock and always left me wondering if they would slip off.

3 ratchet straps work well. Get the beefy endless loop ones; each strap can take up 750 lbs each, so plenty of capacity. When you use 3, you can release them 1 at a time to release tension on the spring. There is no chance the spring can get away from you because you have 2 others still holding the spring from fully expanding. Watch the video.

Of course you can get a 20 ton press and some special shock gear to hold the shock just so, but you'd be looking at $450 or so for everything. If you live in N Va or MD, I can help you out.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks for the info. I actually have a set of this heavtmy duty straps already.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    The spring compressor from the auto store is for larger diameter coil springs and do not work well with the smaller diameter springs. I tried those first. They scratched the shock and always left me wondering if they would slip off.

3 ratchet straps work well. Get the beefy endless loop ones; each strap can take up 750 lbs each, so plenty of capacity. When you use 3, you can release them 1 at a time to release tension on the spring. There is no chance the spring can get away from you because you have 2 others still holding the spring from fully expanding. Watch the video.

Of course you can get a 20 ton press and some special shock gear to hold the shock just so, but you'd be looking at $450 or so for everything. If you live in N Va or MD, I can help you out.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. I actually have a set of this heavtmy duty straps already.
    I ran my straps through 2 times which gives it more pulling power and also increase the safety factor.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Jerry

I found the same with the automotive coil spring compressor I have. The front springs of my '08 Spyder were too slim for it.

Almost had a nasty accident & dented one of the shocks making it useless.

Bought 3 ELKA shocks. A bit of a financial blow but they have been great. Elka set up the rear one for my weight & riding requirements.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

well that didnt go well. I couldnt get the cap off smh. Where can i take it to have it done?