Spyder Garage

Default 2009 gs rear shock spring replacement

I'm looking to replace my rear shock. I'm about 280 pounds and I already have it all the way up. It's a hard ride but when I adjust down when I hit bump it scrubs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I'm looking to replace my rear shock. I'm about 280 pounds and I already have it all the way up. It's a hard ride but when I adjust down when I hit bump it scrubs.
    Does your have the 2 spring shock on it? If it does I have replaced mine with a different upper spring. The stock spring is rated around 447 lbs per inch. Not much when you add the weight of the bike to it. Only leaves around 250 lbs to play with. Doesn't take much to bottom it out. I replaced mine with a 900 lbs a inch spring and really like the way it rides. I go around 210 and it doesn't bottom out at all. I also had my wife on back and still doesn't bottom out. Check out this thread that shows what I did.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ng-change-out)
    David

Spyder Garage

How would I know if 2 springs. Do you have rt?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

You can go Elkas, Faceted, Fox, Progressive and a few others. Just the springs you can try BRP they used to offer a stronger spring....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

How would I know if 2 springs. Do you have rt?
    I have a 08 GS spyder. Look at your back shock. If there is a spacer between the shock springs yours would be a 2 spring shock. The top spring is the weaker one and the bottom is the heavier one. Only problem is when the top spring bottoms out it is rubbing the tire and the bottom spring isn't doing much at all. You can buy heavier rear shocks, but have your pocket book ready. They start out around $600 dollars and go up from there. Also look at post number 5 on the link I posted and there is a picture of a shock with the 2 springs. If that looks like yours a spring can be changed and that is just another option you can think about.

David
    Last edited by Warlock; 04-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

If your 09 is laid out like my 08 was, there are holes in the swing arm and frame where you can mount the air bag that is used on the RT, might be worth checking.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    If your 09 is laid out like my 08 was, there are holes in the swing arm and frame where you can mount the air bag that is used on the RT, might be worth checking.

john
    Yours must have a up dated swing arm. My wife had a 11 RRS with that style swing arm. In 08 the air bags wasn't in production for the Spyder. I know in the 10 models late editions they changed to the swing air that fits the ST's and RT's which could have a air bag installed.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 04-14-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

My 08 was a Premier Edition, #3266, got it in April of 08, and the holes were already there.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Does your have the 2 spring shock on it? If it does I have replaced mine with a different upper spring. The stock spring is rated around 447 lbs per inch. Not much when you add the weight of the bike to it. Only leaves around 250 lbs to play with. Doesn't take much to bottom it out. I replaced mine with a 900 lbs a inch spring and really like the way it rides. I go around 210 and it doesn't bottom out at all. I also had my wife on back and still doesn't bottom out. Check out this thread that shows what I did.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ng-change-out)
    David
    David - Remind everyone what you spent to solve your rear suspension challenge. If everyone offering options would put that suggested cost, this will reach closure quickly.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    My 08 was a Premier Edition, #3266, got it in April of 08, and the holes were already there.

john
    Don't mean to argue, but that swing wasn't built till the end of 2010. Mine has a couple little holes but not to mount a air bag. That is when the swing arm was designed to accommodate a air bag for the RT's.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    David - Remind everyone what you spent to solve your rear suspension challenge. If everyone offering options would put that suggested cost, this will reach closure quickly.

Jerry
    I think I had $77.00 on the up dated spring. Of course I installed it myself.
    David

Spyder Garage

What tool I need to change it?

Spyder Garage

What tool I need to change it?
    I used 3 ratchet straps to change mine out here is a video that will help explain it. I used 2 to remove the old spring, being it was a weaker spring. Need 3 to put the new spring on. Just be careful. I was a chief mechanic offshore and use to fooling with all kind of different things.

David
    Last edited by Warlock; 04-14-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi NVERLAST1,

Re: What tool I need to change it?

Look here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ing-change-out)

Many ways to skin this cat,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

To the OP

If something goes wrong changing out the springs you could die.

As you are not experienced in that sort of thing, get a professional to do it.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    To the OP

If something goes wrong changing out the springs you could die.

As you are not experienced in that sort of thing, get a professional to do it.
    Have to agree with OldGoat. Know a parts guy at a dealership that got his front teeth busted out from a runaway spring. I saw the before and after. Not a pretty picture...

I'm the original owner of a '09. Have replaced all three shock absorbers, not springs, replaced by my dealership. One by one they started bottoming out. Dark fluid on the ground by the shocks is the give away. Never had to replace the springs.

The GS has ridden over 300# passengers, Wounded Warriors, without bottoming out.

Figure out what's broke before replacing...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Hi oldgoat,

Re: As you are not experienced . . . get a professional to do it.

While I am the inveterate DIY'er, I knew enough to have a professional do this work.

And I do not have the proper tools for this type of work. If I would have had the proper spring compressor, I might have tackled it. Not having the tools made it an easy decision.

Most people have no real idea on how much energy is stored in a collapsed spring.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

right....which is why Im going to rent a spring compressor from advance auto.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi oldgoat,

Re: As you are not experienced . . . get a professional to do it.

While I am the inveterate DIY'er, I knew enough to have a professional do this work.

And I do not have the proper tools for this type of work. If I would have had the proper spring compressor, I might have tackled it. Not having the tools made it an easy decision.

Most people have no real idea on how much energy is stored in a collapsed spring.

Jerry Baumchen

Spyder Garage

right....which is why Im going to rent a spring compressor from advance auto.
    The spring compressor from the auto store is for larger diameter coil springs and do not work well with the smaller diameter springs. I tried those first. They scratched the shock and always left me wondering if they would slip off.

3 ratchet straps work well. Get the beefy endless loop ones; each strap can take up 750 lbs each, so plenty of capacity. When you use 3, you can release them 1 at a time to release tension on the spring. There is no chance the spring can get away from you because you have 2 others still holding the spring from fully expanding. Watch the video.

Of course you can get a 20 ton press and some special shock gear to hold the shock just so, but you'd be looking at $450 or so for everything. If you live in N Va or MD, I can help you out.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks for the info. I actually have a set of this heavtmy duty straps already.
    The spring compressor from the auto store is for larger diameter coil springs and do not work well with the smaller diameter springs. I tried those first. They scratched the shock and always left me wondering if they would slip off.

3 ratchet straps work well. Get the beefy endless loop ones; each strap can take up 750 lbs each, so plenty of capacity. When you use 3, you can release them 1 at a time to release tension on the spring. There is no chance the spring can get away from you because you have 2 others still holding the spring from fully expanding. Watch the video.

Of course you can get a 20 ton press and some special shock gear to hold the shock just so, but you'd be looking at $450 or so for everything. If you live in N Va or MD, I can help you out.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Ok thanks for the info. I actually have a set of this heavtmy duty straps already.
    I ran my straps through 2 times which gives it more pulling power and also increase the safety factor.
    David

Spyder Garage

Jerry

I found the same with the automotive coil spring compressor I have. The front springs of my '08 Spyder were too slim for it.

Almost had a nasty accident & dented one of the shocks making it useless.

Bought 3 ELKA shocks. A bit of a financial blow but they have been great. Elka set up the rear one for my weight & riding requirements.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

well that didnt go well. I couldnt get the cap off smh. Where can i take it to have it done?