Spyder Garage

Default Picking up my 2012 rt tomorrow

Anything in particular i should be checking when buying my first spyder? This spyder only has 1200 miles on it.
    IMG_2284.jpgIMG_2285.jpg
    Last edited by shanethabarber; 04-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Be sure that you have read the "do's and Don'ts" thread. Especially the early posts that are more geared to the VTwin. It made my transition to my 2012 much easier. Giver yourself time to adjust,relax your arms and grip and forget most of what you know if you are coming from 2 wheels. Then get out a put some miles on that poor thing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shanethabarber View Post
    Anything in particular i should be checking when buying my first spyder? This spyder only has 1200 miles on it.
    Is this the one in Oklahoma? Somebody must have been very uncomfortable on it to only put 1200 miles on it...or it's damaged underneath. So, take a test ride on it and look it over really well. Remember to steer it like an ATV. No counter-steering. I'm wondering if the poor thing is so far out of alignment that it's just a handful to ride. Might want to get that checked ASAP when you get back to KY. And have the 2013 air scoops put on it soon, also. But once you get it checked over, blow out the cobwebs, and farkled up to your liking, you'll be very happy with it. Plenty of information on here about various mods.

Edit: And Oh - don't ride the brake.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-13-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

When I was used Spyder shopping three used Spyder's I checked out had loose Frunks, you could reach down, grab the point of the Frunk and lift it up without the Spyder lifting. They had been in accidents, and improperly repaired. As others have said, give it a good looking over, check everything,.
    Someone else just bought a used Spyder that the radio fuse had been removed and you couldn't tune radio stations. Once the fuse was replaced, the battery died over a couple days because of an issue with the radio. It was covered by warranty some time back, but no longer, now the new owner will likely have to pay for the repair.
    Check the condition of the tires, and before you take a drive, check the tire pressures.
    With that few miles the air ryde bag should hold air.
    Check for the Owner's manual and tool kit.
    +1 on the 2013 RT Air Scoop kit since it sounds like you'll be using it in the HOT south.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

i'd get the brake system flushed asap. not good for machines to sit around. brake hoses go bad. seals dry out. corrosion sets in.