Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Won't Install Car Tires

Okay it's everybody's favorite, another tire thread. So I do my research and finally decide on a new rear tire, the Altimax by General. Call dealer to ask if I can have it shipped directly to them and they tell they won't install a car tire on a Spyder. That BRP is saying the harder tires don't talk to the traction control system properly and they (the dealer) don't want potential liability in the event of an accident. Gotta love lawyers right?

So it looks like I'll end up paying twice as much for a tire that lasts half as long. I've burned through 4 or 5 Kendas and can't seem to get more than 10 or 11,000 miles out of them at least on the back. I don't really blame the dealer. It is what it is I guess. Just thought I'd throw this out on the forum and watch you guys volley it back and forth for a while.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the club. Same line from my "only" dealership within 1500 miles.

BlueKnight found information regarding "J" style rims. Give that thread a hunt, and you may be able to present a "logical" argument to your dealer.

I am thinking that the line coming from the dealer has nothing to do with legalities or safety issues. Just the loss of profit on the Kenda tire sale.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried checking with other dealers in your area?
    I know that several around me WILL install automotive tires.
    Some tire shops are also capable of the task at well.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bill H.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE INSTALL B-S

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Welcome to the club. Same line from my "only" dealership within 1500 miles.

BlueKnight found information regarding "J" style rims. Give that thread a hunt, and you may be able to present a "logical" argument to your dealer.

I am thinking that the line coming from the dealer has nothing to do with legalities or safety issues. Just the loss of profit on the Kenda tire sale.
    ... the rims aren't just close they are EXACTLY the same. It's stamped on all Kenda tires ...... must use " J " type rims ........... As to whether the Nanny can tell what tire you have on ...... That is the real BS None of my various Spyders have ever thrown a CODE after I put Auto tires on ... If you need help getting the rear wheel off - on , reach out to another member here ... in Maine ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you take the wheel off yourself you can get just about any tire shop to install the tire. If you want a turn-key install. That's a little tougher to get done. All BRP has to do is mention that it might be possible to have an issue and no one wants to touch it after that.

It doesn't matter that thousands of Spyder riders have hundreds of thousands of safe, problem free miles on car tires.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If I can find a tire dealer in the wilds of Central Utah willing and able to mount a car tire anybody should be able to. Just take the rear wheel off and take it in. If you are skittish about taking the wheel off your self there are several videos on you tube including an excellent one by our own finless. My tire dealer told me if I got him the wheel and tire,he had a machine that would mount it. He could not balance it but we did that with dynabeads. Don't be afraid of running a car tire just cause your Spyder Dealer feeds you a line of . It can and is being safely done all over the US every week. Sometimes you just have to get a little creative.

I have a very good dealer in Salt Lake City but he is far away and I either have to leave it and come back which means 12 hrs driving and 1 or 2 weeks without the Spyder or waiting all day for them to finish, so I learned to do most things myself. A small investment in simple hand tools and some time spent watching you tube videos will pay big benefits.

I know some of you have reasons you can't get in and do your own work, so I suggest you either find a riding friend willing to help you(if you already haven't), or find an indy shop willing to learn what you need them to know.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Mike!
    How far are you from him?
    I'd bet a nickel and a half; that you could make some "magic" happen for him!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Every state I've lived in and that's 9 in the last 17 yrs has a used tire center. Anytime I had an iffy tire situation. Instead of hearing the lame excuse we can't do that. But we would be happy to take all your money on this new.... I find the used tire shop.

Good luck

Phil

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you take the wheel off yourself you can get just about any tire shop to install the tire. If you want a turn-key install. That's a little tougher to get done. All BRP has to do is mention that it might be possible to have an issue and no one wants to touch it after that.

It doesn't matter that thousands of Spyder riders have hundreds of thousands of safe, problem free miles on car tires.
    .....I have read on this Forum that BRP has STATED it must be the KENDA and dealers can only use Kenda's ...... Well there is such a thing as the Moss-Magnussen Act which all Car / trk / Mtc sellers must abide by ..... what's pertinent on this tire thing is .... BRP can't tell you or the Dealers that Auto tires .. CAN'T " be used. The M-M act prohibits manufacturers from dictating that their parts MUST be used., only that the parts meet or exceed the OEM parts Spec's ....... Spyders use " J " type rims ...it says on the Kenda tire itself ....Must use " J " type rims ...... What I think may have screwed up the OP's request was asking the dealer to accept a Tire mailed to His shop.... I think the dealer just didn't want that ADDED responsibility or hassel....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default ANOTHER POSSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Okay it's everybody's favorite, another tire thread. So I do my research and finally decide on a new rear tire, the Altimax by General. Call dealer to ask if I can have it shipped directly to them and they tell they won't install a car tire on a Spyder. That BRP is saying the harder tires don't talk to the traction control system properly and they (the dealer) don't want potential liability in the event of an accident. Gotta love lawyers right?

So it looks like I'll end up paying twice as much for a tire that lasts half as long. I've burned through 4 or 5 Kendas and can't seem to get more than 10 or 11,000 miles out of them at least on the back. I don't really blame the dealer. It is what it is I guess. Just thought I'd throw this out on the forum and watch you guys volley it back and forth for a while.
    If you bought the Spyder from this Dealer - I would return and point this FACT out to them ..... and tell them in no uncertain terms that you could have saved a lot of money if you had bought it on -line for a lot less than you spent at their dealership ...... and forget the ship it to them thing ....bring the darn tire with you, it will fit on the pass. seat .....jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Name the dealer, so we have some useful information at least.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hey Mike!
    How far are you from him?
    I'd bet a nickel and a half; that you could make some "magic" happen for him!
    I'd help in heart beat, if Southern Maine (?) wasn't 200 + mi. from me ...............Mike

Spyder Garage

Bill H. I suggest you consider strapping the tire to your passenger seat and take a long ride on a beautiful day to Blueknight911 (Mike) in central Vermont. I am sure he would be happy to help you. I have an auto tire on my Spyder and have never had a problem. And actually I asked a BRP rep in Canada at the 10th anniversary celebration if they had a problem with a dealer installing a car tire. He said no.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Bill H. I suggest you consider strapping the tire to your passenger seat and take a long ride on a beautiful day to Blueknight911 (Mike) in central Vermont. I am sure he would be happy to help you. I have an auto tire on my Spyder and have never had a problem. And actually I asked a BRP rep in Canada at the 10th anniversary celebration if they had a problem with a dealer installing a car tire. He said no.
    Yeah, I really don’t get this one. The only possible reason that appears to make any sense to me is that the Spyder was fully tested with the soft walled Kendas and their interaction with Nanny before its release, and BRP lawyers have told them they may be open to litigation if they say it is OK to put a harder walled Yokohama (or similar) on, and an accident occurs in which Nanny was involved. But that doesn’t tie in with JKM’s feedback above (there’s also the partnership with Kenda meaning lower bulk buy prices for BRP, but that doesn’t fit with JKM’s feedback either)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have car tires all way around my spyder installed by Walmart remove wheels myself and take them in they can balance front but not rear do it myself

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ..........The only possible reason that appears to make any sense to me is that the Spyder was fully tested with the soft walled Kendas and their interaction with Nanny before its release, .........
    Thank you for raising that point Pete, but if you ask Bosch (who designed, developed, tested, & fine tuned the Spyder's Nanny system & also did the same for many other vehicle's 'nanny' systems) about this, they say that, just like EVERY OTHER SYSTEM THEY PRODUCE FOR ANY VEHICLE, their system is smart enough to do what it needs to do with ANY TIRE that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings stamped on the tire placard - and btw, under our laws here, that placard only displays the MINIMUM specs for an acceptable tire, not the ONLY acceptable tire!! And another btw.... at least here in Aust but I also suspect in the US of A, mobs like Bosch not only wouldn't (in order to make sure they've covered their own behinds) but they aren't legally allowed under our laws, ADR's etc to provide or sell any VSS, ABS, EBD or whatever system for any vehicle that CAN'T DO THIS with any tire that meets or exceeds those minimum specs!!

Now remember, I'm usually the bloke pushing the 'the manufacturer spent millions on design & testing to get this right, do you really think you can just pull a way to do it better off the top of your head?' wheel barrow, with only occasional forays outside the pale when it's an obvious improvement (eg Mirror Magics, BajaRon Bar... ) or where someone else has spent just as much on testing & design (eg, Bosch VSS's, automotive Passenger tires... ) but given that, please also recognise that in this particular instance, there's also the literally millions of miles covered safely on auto tires by Spyder owners peed off with the expensive & crappily quality controlled Kendas..... Which shows that either we are ALL brilliantly safe ryders all of the time, or that our Spyders' Nannies DO actually work fine with any of those automotive tires that meet or exceed the tire placard specs!! Now which of those do you reckon is more likely??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Call me crazy.... but

Hi Everyone, well I have listened to motorcycle dealers for years, many years
    telling me about all the bad things that could happen using car tires on a bike,
    well it is all B.S. I have used car tires on all 5 of my GoldWings (rear tire only)
    never had a problem, I used them on my Honda ST1100 same story....
    I have them on my Spyder no problem. If your dealer will not put them on just
    go to your local favorite automotive tire store with your Spyder wheels and tires
    in hand and have them do it. If you buy them there they will jump at the chance
    to put them on your Spyder and take your money.... If you need the rear tire
    jack up your Spyder take off the rear wheel and take it with you to the tire store
    same story they will be happy to put it on, however you should remove the belt drive
    sprocket and just take the tire and wheel. I have Michelin tires on mine and have had for
    Remember this is only MY opinion, and you all know about opinions.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    If you need the rear tire jack up your Spyder take off the rear wheel and take it with you to the tire store same story they will be happy to put it on, however you should remove the belt drive
    sprocket and just take the tire and wheel.
    Dave
    ......and the above is the issue, Dave.......not whether car tyres will cause you to crash and burn........ If it was as simple as undoing a few bolts (like you do at the front), there wouldn’t be a problem. Some people just aren’t comfortable removing their rear tyre because of all the “other stuff” that goes with it. I must admit that I would rather the dealer removed my rear tyre than me doing it myself.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    they say that, just like EVERY OTHER SYSTEM THEY PRODUCE FOR ANY VEHICLE, their system is smart enough to do what it needs to do with ANY TIRE that meets or exceeds the load & speed ratings stamped on the tire placard - and btw, under our laws here, that placard only displays the MINIMUM specs for an acceptable tire, not the ONLY acceptable tire!!
    You BASTARD Aawen.........you’ve blown ANOTHER of my highly intellectual theories out of the water ......bugger

.....anyway, I’ve just emailed BRP Care asking, very politely, if they can shed any light on this issue as we have some BRP reps saying it’s ok to mount a non Kenda, and others saying it isn’t. They have been pretty good in the past with questions like this, so we’ll see if they are able/allowed to respond to this particular one.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

The title of this thread is contradictory. Of course all Spyder dealers will mount a "car tire". Some just won't mount any brand except Kenda. The OEM Kenda is manufactured to mate with a car wheel (J spec.). The kenda is just manufactured so poorly that is not safe on ANY vehicle except for the light weight Spyder. Says so right on the sidewall....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Question "Jack up the rear wheel ? "

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Everyone, well I have listened to motorcycle dealers for years, many years
    telling me about all the bad things that could happen using car tires on a bike,
    well it is all B.S. I have used car tires on all 5 of my GoldWings (rear tire only)
    never had a problem, I used them on my Honda ST1100 same story....
    I have them on my Spyder no problem. If your dealer will not put them on just
    go to your local favorite automotive tire store with your Spyder wheels and tires
    in hand and have them do it. If you buy them there they will jump at the chance
    to put them on your Spyder and take your money.... If you need the rear tire
    jack up your Spyder take off the rear wheel and take it with you to the tire store
    same story they will be happy to put it on, however you should remove the belt drive
    sprocket and just take the tire and wheel. I have Michelin tires on mine and have had for
    Remember this is only MY opinion, and you all know about opinions.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    You have really understated just how much is involved in removing the rear tire. I am finishing up this project and I was overwhelmed at how much had to come out and be disassembled. Just getting the wheel assembly out required a 36 MM socket and a 36 MM wrench. I removed the belt guard which was a two man project for the two lower bolts. Then figuring out how to remove the center hub from the wheel was a nightmare. I finally figured out to use a short, flexible head ratchet with a socket to hold the bolts that hold the hub to the wheel. Torqueing the hub back in was a challenge in itself. Getting that heavy assembly back up in the air and the axle in is a two man project too. I then decided to get my rear wheel going straight and have the belt stay in the middle of the sprocket. I had to adjust the right adjuster bolt 6 and 1/4 turns for the belt to stay away from the side of the sprocket. Apparently whoever set up the rear wheel didn't know what they were doing. I'm going to check the belt with my sonic meter and torque the axle. Thank God it's almost over.

Spyder Garage

You BASTARD Aawen.........you’ve blown ANOTHER of my highly intellectual theories out of the water ......bugger
    So glad I could be of service Pete!

Not sure that you'll get too much apart from the 'party line' from BRP Care, but I guess it can't hurt to ask! ya'll never know unless you do! And besides, they might come up with something entertaining!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.....anyway, I’ve just emailed BRP Care asking, very politely, if they can shed any light on this issue as we have some BRP reps saying it’s ok to mount a non Kenda, and others saying it isn’t. They have been pretty good in the past with questions like this, so we’ll see if they are able/allowed to respond to this particular one.

Pete
    I asked the same question recently and this is the response that I received:

"Good day Mr. Rizzo,

We do not recommend using aftermarket or car tires on your unit. We recommend using authorized BRP parts only. As for the dealership, they are independently owned and not franchised. We do not have information as to what reasons a dealer would no longer be considered part of BRPs dealership network."

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at T + 888.272.9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP.
    Jay
    Customer Service Representative
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Well I am a happy camper. I get my rear Kenda's installed, balanced and bought for $180 at Ride Now Sports. They own 45+ dealers around the country and I am sure one is near you. Hate the company but IMO not too bad a deal for a balanced and installed rear tire.

At my age the less kneeling and rolling around on the floor of the garage the better. I would think that by time you figure the price of a new car tire and one hour of labor you would be spending about the same amount. I get 15-17,000 miles on the Kenda's. If I get 10,000 on a motorcycle I think that is pretty good. So to me it is acceptable.

People sure make this tire thing complicated. To me it's not worth the grief.

As they say "keep the rubber side down",

Uncle Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick