Spyder Garage

Default Newb...first group ride

I've only had my STS since January and NJ weather has only allowed limited saddle time, or about 250 miles total over 4 or 5 rides. Mostly 20-30 mile rides, once with my SO on pillion.
    Sunday lunch ride with my 2-wheel group was a great learning opportunity. I know how these guys ride so was not intimitated. And I told them I was learning this 3 wheel thing so they should be aware.
    One other guy showed up on his F3 Ltd and shared some good tips.
    From my reading here I spent a lot of time consciously leaning into turns and was very pleased with how I felt I was riding.
    I was at the back of the pack which was a bit unsettling at first but I kept up very well and was glad to not feel I was I was holding others up behind me.
    All in all a great 60+ miles day!
    Many more smiles to come as warmer weather starts to arrive.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Don't sweat it

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I've only had my STS since January and NJ weather has only allowed limited saddle time, or about 250 miles total over 4 or 5 rides. Mostly 20-30 mile rides, once with my SO on pillion.
    Sunday lunch ride with my 2-wheel group was a great learning opportunity. I know how these guys ride so was not intimitated. And I told them I was learning this 3 wheel thing so they should be aware.
    From my reading here I spent a lot of time consciously leaning into turns and was very pleased with how I felt I was riding.
    I was at the back of the pack which was a bit unsettling at first but I kept up very well and was glad to not feel I was I was holding others up behind me.
    Don't worry about holding anyone up. The only drawback to being at the back of a bunch of Harleys is that none of them have any mufflers and all you hear is exhaust not any music. Maybe consider being the lead motorcycle and leave all that noise behind you. I left the last group ride I was on when the Harley that was parked beside me was leaking gasoline and the rider didn't have enough sense to move away from the puddle of gasoline he had left before he tried to crank the engine. The fact that I was truly tired of listening to stupid people with straight pipes was just a coincidence.

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Good to hear, you did well and you will soon be in a better position so don't worry. these machines are happier with Harvey's behind them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I went from two wheels to three and the shortly after going with the spyder I went to a BMW rally. I was going on a ride with old friends and soon realized that I did not have the skills on the three wheeler to safely keep up. I dropped out and rode by myself. Lesson learned was to be comfortable and especially competent on your new ride before trying a "Sporty" session. You may find out that it is surprising hard to ride with sporty riders at this time. BUT .... It will come!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah, this was def not a "sporty" ride...very relaxed group of riders...I was mostly in 2nd/3rd gears all day and only 6 on this ride.
    No Harleys...BMW, Triumph, Victory, a Wing and 2 Spyders...
    I declined a "200+ mile mostly highway" ride for the coming weekend...not ready for that yet.

But...
    What's with all the anger towards Harleys??? Seems I see this in many threads on this board.
    I know it's just one single example but comments like "none of them have any mufflers and all you hear is exhaust not any music" make me think, sheesh, if you wanna hear music, sit on your couch with the stereo on.
    "stupid people with straight pipes"?

I'll consider whether to wade into a separate thread on this topic...
    Raprider (Rich)

BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANGER MANAGEMENT

Yeah, this was def not a "sporty" ride...very relaxed group of riders...I was mostly in 2nd/3rd gears all day and only 6 on this ride.
    I declined a "200+ mile mostly highway" ride for the coming weekend...not ready for that yet.

But...
    What's with all the anger towards Harleys??? Seems I see this in many threads on this board.
    I know it's just one single example but comments like "none of them have any mufflers and all you hear is exhaust not any music" make me think, sheesh, if you wanna hear music, sit on your couch with the stereo on.

....If you think there is anger expressed here about Harley's ....go to a Harley board and see what REAL ANGER is ....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....If you think there is anger expressed here about Harley's ....go to a Harley board and see what REAL ANGER is ....jmho .... Mike
    Just browsing Spyder and other rider videos on YouTube there some really vile, hate filled human beings out there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on making the switch. Your bike has way more capability than you will need to keep up and pass the others once your skills and confidence develop.

Other than sport bikes, the only 2 wheelers that present much of a challenge any more for me are well-ridden Goldwings.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Right Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I definitely agree with Mike - I joined a HD forum because my BF has one and many of them are nasty if you mention a Spyder.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Wink

I good place for the HD with pipes is at the back ( and it is not hard to keep them there LOL) Just ride your own ride .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Good for you. Its all in the attitude. May you have many more great rides like that. And welcome to the family. Happy Trails. Ride Safe ---- Ride Often

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1966 View Post
    Just browsing Spyder and other rider videos on YouTube there some really vile, hate filled human beings out there.
    Ain't that the truth. Especially the crouch rockets that ride the tail of the dragon on highway 129 in North Carolina and tennessee. Getting some of the riders to just wave at you when you pass them is like pulling your own teeth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I good place for the HD with pipes is at the back ( and it is not hard to keep them there LOL) Just ride your own ride .
    I never could figure that out. You have to have loud pipes to be heard before your seen. That's what a friend of my says and he rides a harley. Who is going to hear you in a car with the Windows up talking on a cell phone and the radio blaring. And the sound is going backwards. Figure that One out.

Spyder Garage

I ride with a group of sport bike/harley riders. all a great bunch of people. I do position myself ahead of the super loud ones as I do not like a loud bike but thats a personal preference.

But...

2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I ride with a group of sport bike/harley riders. all a great bunch of people. I do position myself ahead of the super loud ones as I do not like a loud bike but thats a personal preference.
    It's really not the anger towards the harley. Its that some people that ride them have this mind set that they better than you. Some of my best friends ride hogs. 2 are doctors and 3 are lawyers. Greatest folks in the world. I'd give any of them the shirt off my back. Then there is my 2 other friends that if you just make a joke to them about their hogs. They are ready to beat you up and disown you. They just have no sense of humor. But I still love them like a brother. Even if I have to adjust their attitude ever now and then.The funny thing is they use to come and borrow my old 1800 goldwing and trailer if they was taking a long trip. go figure that one out.

Spyder Garage

I dunno...I mean, sure, there's jerks in every crowd...even a crowd as small as 2 people can have at least one, possibly 2 jerks.
    Yeah, some guys don't or won't wave, their problem not mine...some love the loud pipes, heck, I have "louder than stock" slash-cuts on my Yama...some guys like the helmets that are smaller than sardine cans, or no helmets at all...and not everyone believes in ATGATT.
    Have you never seen or heard rudeness from someone on a Guzzi or a Bimmer? Oooh, got my big fancy euro-bike...better than any rice-burner you can buy...
    The racer-boys who think the DQ parking lot is a drag strip for their 'Busas?
    I could go on...and I know I'm generalizing but...
    I just find the labeling that too often seems to come back as "those Harley guys" just seems misplaced and overdone...IMHO.
    Raprider (Rich)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dunno...I mean, sure, there's jerks in every crowd...even a crowd as small as 2 people can have at least one, possibly 2 jerks.
    Yeah, some guys don't or won't wave, their problem not mine...some love the loud pipes, heck, I have "louder than stock" slash-cuts on my Yama...some guys like the helmets that are smaller than sardine cans, or no helmets at all...and not everyone believes in ATGATT.
    Have you never seen or heard rudeness from someone on a Guzzi or a Bimmer? Oooh, got my big fancy euro-bike...better than any rice-burner you can buy...
    The racer-boys who think the DQ parking lot is a drag strip for their 'Busas?
    I could go on...and I know I'm generalizing but...
    I just find the labeling that too often seems to come back as "those Harley guys" just seems misplaced and overdone...IMHO.
    Well said. Enough of the broad generalizations already. Aren't we divided enough?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Smile No anger with Harleys

But...

I have no anger toward Harleys or their owners and I would get down on my knees and praise God for a day that I didn't wake up to and go to sleep to exhaust noise from cars, trucks and motorcycles. Would you like to make a guess which of these three is most likely to roar by with straight pipes? I live two blocks away from a main north south route in my town and the constant loud exhaust noise affects the quality of my life so yes I like to listen to my XM radio in my helmet when I'm on my RT since I can't listen to it on my couch in my home due to all the loud exhausts. I'm not anti Harley, I'm anti loud pipes.

Spyder Garage

Like the original poster, I too did my first "spirited" session with my regular riding buddy. We did a little over 260 miles of mostly windy roads. Early in the day, I was breathing down his neck and honestly had to back off to keep from running over him. As the day wore on, though, I got tired and he walked away from me. Riding the Spyder in the twisties was MUCH more work than a 2 wheeler.

Am I missing some inside tricks (he asks hopefully.......)?